how exactly does the hsc work? (1 Viewer)

pheii

HSC
Firstly i'm not sure how to use this site so I'm sorry if I wasn't supposed to post my question here.
I'll be in year 11 starting this year and I was wondering whether any of your scores in year 11 counts towards the HSC. If not, then do you do any of the HSC in year 11? I'm aware that there are year 10 HSC accelerants which means they will do their HSC for the subject in year 10, but is there anything of the sort in year 11?

Also, if that's not the case, how does extension subjects work? I'm planning on taking music ext, math ext, and eng ext (all ext1). Do I have to do advanced AND extension in the same time period?

Anyways, I'm just confused about the HSC in general. Not so much ATAR, but just the process of assessment and weighting, etc.
pls help thank you <3

pheii

HSC
None of your year 11 marks get counted towards your ATAR. You do not do your HSC in year 11 unless you do an accelerated subject.
so would that mean you do your extension and advanced test in the same time period?

pheii

HSC
What do you mean by same time period?
So basically all of your exams are in year 12 after the graduation assembly (normal term 4) and yada yada (or are they before graduation?) and the ext and adv are like 3 days apart from each other

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Welcome to Bored of Studies! :bosman:

If you are not accelerating any of your subjects, i.e. you are completing the Preliminary course for your subjects in year 11 and the HSC course for your subjects in year 12, then none of your year 11 results will contribute towards your HSC results/ATAR. However, your year 11 results may be beneficial if you are seeking an early entry offer for one (or more) of your chosen university courses, although this is not something that you need to worry about now.

Students can accelerate subjects in year 11, which means that they will be sitting the HSC exam for a particular subject in year 11 (as opposed to non-accelerating students, who sit the HSC exam for a particular subject in year 12). Because of this, students that have accelerated one (or more) subjects in year 11 may have the option/choose to repeat that subject in year 12 if they are not satisfied with their HSC mark (final mark) for that subject and believe they can perform better in that subject if they repeat.

I am unsure as to how exactly Music Extension works. However, Mathematics Extension 1 and English Extension 1 involve studying both Mathematics Advanced plus Mathematics Extension 1 and English Advanced plus English Extension 1 respectively. This means that you will be sitting 2 HSC exams for maths (one being Mathematics Advanced and the other being Mathematics Extension 1) and 2 HSC exams for English (one being English Advanced and the other being English Extension 1).

In the event where you choose to take Mathematics Extension 2 and/or English Extension 2 in year 12 (which is probably not something that you need to worry about as of now, although it is not a bad idea to be informed of this early on), you will need to sit 2 HSC exams for maths (one being Mathematics Extension 1 and the other being Mathematics Extension 2) and 2 HSC exams for English (being English Advanced and English Extension 1). English Extension 2 does not feature an HSC exam. Instead, it requires students to complete a Major Work.

I hope this helps! 😄

pheii

HSC
Welcome to Bored of Studies! :bosman:

If you are not accelerating any of your subjects, i.e. you are completing the Preliminary course for your subjects in year 11 and the HSC course for your subjects in year 12, then none of your year 11 results will contribute towards your HSC results/ATAR. However, your year 11 results may be beneficial if you are seeking an early entry offer for one (or more) of your chosen university courses, although this is not something that you need to worry about now.

Students can accelerate subjects in year 11, which means that they will be sitting the HSC exam for a particular subject in year 11 (as opposed to non-accelerating students, who sit the HSC exam for a particular subject in year 12). Because of this, students that have accelerated one (or more) subjects in year 11 may have the option/choose to repeat that subject in year 12 if they are not satisfied with their HSC mark (final mark) for that subject and believe they can perform better in that subject if they repeat.

I am unsure as to how exactly Music Extension works. However, Mathematics Extension 1 and English Extension 1 involve studying both Mathematics Advanced plus Mathematics Extension 1 and English Advanced plus English Extension 1 respectively. This means that you will be sitting 2 HSC exams for maths (one being Mathematics Advanced and the other being Mathematics Extension 1) and 2 HSC exams for English (one being English Advanced and the other being English Extension 1).

In the event where you choose to take Mathematics Extension 2 and/or English Extension 2 in year 12 (which is probably not something that you need to worry about as of now, although it is not a bad idea to be informed of this early on), you will need to sit 2 HSC exams for maths (one being Mathematics Extension 1 and the other being Mathematics Extension 2) and 3 HSC exams for English (being English Advanced, English Extension 1 and English Extension 2).

I hope this helps! 😄
Sorry, Im still confused about the extension part. Would you do your ext and adv classes in year 12 (during final HSC period)? If so, then if you choose to take ext 2, would that be all 3 exams in the same period?

pheii

HSC
Sorry, Im still confused about the extension part. Would you do your ext and adv classes in year 12 (during final HSC period)? If so, then if you choose to take ext 2, would that be all 3 exams in the same period?
wait holdon I think I just understood what you said
so basically yes, it would be in the same period, right?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
If you are not accelerating any of your subjects, then yes. There is an HSC exam period at the end of year 12 during which you sit all of your HSC exams.

If you choose to take Mathematics Extension 2, you will not need to sit the Mathematics Advanced HSC exam, leaving you with 2 maths HSC exams, being Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2. 2021 HSC students sat those 2 HSC exams on the following dates:
  • Mathematics Extension 2 - Monday 15 November 2021
  • Mathematics Extension 1 - Friday 19 November 2021
If you choose to take English Extension 2, you will need to sit 2 HSC exams, being English Advanced and English Extension 1 and complete the Major Work for English Extension 2. 2021 HSC students sat the English Advanced and English Extension 1 HSC exams on the following dates:
  • English Advanced - Tuesday 9 November 2021 and Wednesday 10 November 2021
  • English Extension 1 - Tuesday 30 November 2021

pheii

HSC
If you are not accelerating any of your subjects, then yes. There is an HSC exam period at the end of year 12 during which you sit all of your HSC exams.

If you choose to take Mathematics Extension 2, you will not need to sit the Mathematics Advanced HSC exam, leaving you with 2 maths HSC exams, being Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2. 2021 HSC students sat those 2 HSC exams on the following dates:
  • Mathematics Extension 2 - Monday 15 November 2021
  • Mathematics Extension 1 - Friday 19 November 2021
If you choose to take English Extension 2, you will need to sit 2 HSC exams, being English Advanced and English Extension and complete the Major Work for English Extension 2. 2021 HSC students sat the English Advanced and English Extension 1 HSC exams on the following dates:
  • English Advanced - Tuesday 9 November 2021 and Wednesday 10 November 2021
  • English Extension 1 - Tuesday 30 November 2021
ahhhh okay thank you so so much !!!

yanujw

HSC
@pheii Schools generally timetable 2u, 3u and 4u math in their own seperate periods. This means tests throughout the year happen whenever you have that subject period, definitely not at the same time. Trials and HSC exams are also planned with the consideration that some students do more than one level of math. Think of them as seperate subjects timetabled seperately (even though you will have the same teacher and students).

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
wait holdon I think I just understood what you said
so basically yes, it would be in the same period, right?
If you are not accelerated, depending on your school, if you take Maths Extn 2, you may end up studying Maths advanced (2 unit), Maths Extn 1 and Maths Extn 2 all concurrently in Yr 12. My eldest did that in 2015 - it’s possible but quite a challenge because maths is foundational so it’s better to cover the 2 unit topics before the extension material, so I think that’s why some of the top schools cover some of the 2 unit topics in Yr 11. After my daughter’s experience, I asked for my son to be able to cover topics early and our local school accommodated our request.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)