How hard is Bachelor of Commerce - major accounting (1 Viewer)

honsaw

HSC
N/A
I would like to study Bachelor of Commerce - Major in Accounting.
I was wondering since Sydney Uni is a prestigious uni, are the assignments and exams
alot harder than other uni's such as uts,macquarie etc.. Is there alot of group work or
more individual work?? shouldn't the content learnt be similar to other uni's?

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
I've asked a few people from macquarie and it seems statistics and microeconomics is much easier at mq than at syd. I'm not sure about the other subs. did you enrol today? saw so many people lining up at merewether building. but yeah, there are PASS classes to help you out. I heard they're useful.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
I've asked a few people from macquarie and it seems statistics and microeconomics is much easier at mq than at syd. I'm not sure about the other subs. did you enrol today? saw so many people lining up at merewether building. but yeah, there are PASS classes to help you out. I heard they're useful.
I don't know about that. I was considering a transfer to USYD at one point and microeconomics was one of the subjects I compared. There really isn't much difference in terms of difficultly for that particular subject, however Macquarie does have a reputation for making their Commerce degrees a little more difficult. STAT170 I can tell you is a poorly taught subject at Macquarie (at least when I took it) and personally I found it unnecessarily difficult at times.

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
I don't know about that. I was considering a transfer to USYD at one point and microeconomics was one of the subjects I compared. There really isn't much difference in terms of difficultly for that particular subject, however Macquarie does have a reputation for making their Commerce degrees a little more difficult. STAT170 I can tell you is a poorly taught subject at Macquarie (at least when I took it) and personally I found it unnecessarily difficult at times.
oh really? why didn't you transfer?

I was thinking about studying at macquarie but chose not to because I thought usyd would offer more of a challenge (plus travelling to macquarie was such a hassle, I had to get off the train 3 times). in what way would commerce degrees at macquarie be more difficult? I saw some lecture and tutorial notes for stat170.. it didn't seem that hard. mainly basic maths right? the statistics at usyd seems to be much harder (limits, functions, derivatives, basic calculus) - I'm actually receiving tutoring to prepare for com haha

honsaw

HSC
N/A
So is UTS Business alot easier than Maquarie or syd uni?

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
There's no such thing as one University being easier than the other. Eventually, you will be taught the same material and knowledge that you would have to apply in the exam. If you're choosing your major based on ease, then you're an idiot.

rajni

HSC
N/A
There's no such thing as one University being easier than the other. Eventually, you will be taught the same material and knowledge that you would have to apply in the exam. If you're choosing your major based on ease, then you're an idiot.
Yes you are right, there's no such thing as one University being easier than the other. Finally materials and knowledge that needs to be applied in the exam.

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
There's no such thing as one University being easier than the other.
Incorrect.

I managed to get ahold of UTS midsemester past paper exams for intro stats and drilled a couple of them - each past paper had ALL of the formulas for stats and I managed to get Ds every time. At USYD I probably scraped through with a P - we weren't given all of the formulas, had to memorise a few. I didn't get a P because of my lack of study - it was more the ambiguity of the questions given. Raged hard that day..

P.S. I asked a few friends studying at UWS if they learnt things like normal distributions, confidence intervals, hypothesis testing etc. They never heard of the stuff.

IMO USYD is quite easy if you're in it just to 'pass', but you need to be extremely smart to get HDs.
I put in a looooooot of work last semester and my highest mark was 79. Some of my friends did pretty bad and failed a few subjects.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)