How hard is it to get a Distinction average? (1 Viewer)

ash_xx

HSC
N/A
Need a distinction average to transfer into combined law next year- how hard is it to actually get one? What exactly do they mean when they say 'distinction average?

Got my first uni assignment back and got 69%- and now I'm freaking out about how I'm gonna achieve this D average because 69% is obviously only a credit...

thanks in advance :)

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
A distinction average means your total WAM is greater than or or equal to 75. I.e. You need to get an average mark of 75 for all your courses (or get 80 in one if you get 70 in another etc). Pretty hard.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
depends on the course.

for engineering - it requires solid consistent effort and that's it

pretty easy imo

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
69% is alright for the early assessments, because the weighting is usually pretty low. Just pick up your game a bit, and do better in your end of session assignments/test and you'll be fine.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Depends on the course, the uni and the student.

There are quite a few people I know who maintain HD averages with very little trouble - of course, they're the exception rather than the rule. I have an upper-end D average from my first year - I found some courses absolutely trivial, but some of them took a huge amount of effort just to scrape a credit.

Just keep trying - you've still got the rest of the year to make up for your early results! Work out what you're good at and what you have trouble with, and focus your efforts appropriately.

ash_xx

HSC
N/A
Depends on the course, the uni and the student.

There are quite a few people I know who maintain HD averages with very little trouble - of course, they're the exception rather than the rule. I have an upper-end D average from my first year - I found some courses absolutely trivial, but some of them took a huge amount of effort just to scrape a credit.

Just keep trying - you've still got the rest of the year to make up for your early results! Work out what you're good at and what you have trouble with, and focus your efforts appropriately.
I'm at USYD, doing Media, which is under the arts faculty. However this sem there's only one media subject and the other 3 are arts electives. I'm pretty studious overall (ATAR 98.55) and really put effort into assignments etc....I think I'm just feeling really pressured because I know I need this D average and got really bummed when I only got a credit.

Sigh

HSC
I agree with what everyone else has been saying so far.... the difficulty of attaining a distinction average is such a hard thing to determine...you have so many variables eg. the subjects you've chosen, your repore with your lecturer/tutor, your level of enthusiasm or engagement with the subject, how well you cope under pressure.... there are so many things in and out of your control which will influence your end result...

but please do not be discouraged. by the sounds of it you are a very studious and smart student. if you try hard im sure you will be in for a good shot!

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
I'm at USYD, doing Media, which is under the arts faculty. However this sem there's only one media subject and the other 3 are arts electives. I'm pretty studious overall (ATAR 98.55) and really put effort into assignments etc....I think I'm just feeling really pressured because I know I need this D average and got really bummed when I only got a credit.

Sigh
If you managed 98.55, you could get an HD average if you tried hard enough. Just wait a few more weeks until you've got more work back, then you'll be able to make a more accurate assessment of where you're at.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I personally think that achieving a Distinction average is not that difficult. It requires solid effort; simply meaning you put in some time to get things completed each day (having a day off each week if you wish - we're only human) and pacing yourself. If you get a disappointing result, then you should talk to your tutor(s) or appropriate course convener about where you've gone wrong and what you could do to improve your marks for the next assessments.

Try your best.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Note : those without a DN avg prob shouldn't post

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)