How important are the first HSC assessments? How much do they affect your ATAR? I think I screwed them up... (1 Viewer)

StudyBoi

HSC
Hi, sorry if i do anything wrong, my first post here.

I go to a selective school that is ranked in the top 40.
I have done all my first assessment tasks, and for some I did decent, but for the others I feel I did pretty badly.
So far, i have received results for 2 of them. One result is decent and the other one just made me depressed ;(

Business Studies - 85% (Rank ~ maybe 8-10/21 students)
4U Maths - Just over 50% :( Yeah i bombed it. It was a hard test tho and everyone i asked said it was a lot harder than what they expected. I think im probably Rank 45/50. Hopefully higher.

For the exams that I have not received, I think did decent in 3u maths and Eco. More confident in 3u tho.

3U Maths - 75-85% (Rank ~ A lot of people did well from what I heard. Hoping to get like top 40 out of 80-90 students)
Economics - 75-85% (Rank ~ Quite a few people (maybe 10) got 90% from what I heard from the other class. So my rank could be in deep trouble. Hoping to be top 15 out of roughly 35 students)
Advanced English - Really hard exam. I heard a lot of people also struggled. Aiming for 75%+ but Im probs getting 60-70%. Theres a chance I could do well (its english after all) (Rank ~ Im guessing like 70-80/90 or something)

ALL assessments have a 20-25% weighting.
So pretty much, I did really badly in 4u and likely Adv english too. 3u and eco results should be ok.
I want to know how big of an impact stuffing up 4U and Adv english will have on my atar. I am aiming for 92+ atar.

Sorry for any formatting errors. Thank you for reading. Any advice will be much appreciated.

ultra908

HSC
Absolutely you can still achieve your goals. The 1st assessments are often where people do the worst as they adjust to yr12, and the future allows plenty of room for improvement. Seeing as how you go to a top selective school, you're most likely a smart person who can perform very well. While a 20%-25% weighting sounds like alot, it isn't really, and the actual numbers and marks of internals don't even matter anyway, because your internals will be moderated by your cohort's exam performance. Remember that your rank or mark isn't important, but your relative position (in your cohort and holistically in the state) is.

Keep striving to do your best til the very end, and it'll all add up :)

_rakelt

HSC
Your girl here did terrible in trials, scoring mostly between late 60's to low 80's. Its completely fine, as long as you work hard for your other assessments/exams

StudyBoi

HSC
Absolutely you can still achieve your goals. The 1st assessments are often where people do the worst as they adjust to yr12, and the future allows plenty of room for improvement. Seeing as how you go to a top selective school, you're most likely a smart person who can perform very well. While a 20%-25% weighting sounds like alot, it isn't really, and the actual numbers and marks of internals don't even matter anyway, because your internals will be moderated by your cohort's exam performance. Remember that your rank or mark isn't important, but your relative position (in your cohort and holistically in the state) is.

Keep striving to do your best til the very end, and it'll all add up :)
Thank you so much for the info. Makes me feel a lot better now. Good luck to all your future endeavors!

StudyBoi

HSC
Your girl here did terrible in trials, scoring mostly between late 60's to low 80's. Its completely fine, as long as you work hard for your other assessments/exams
Thank you for the information!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)