how is sdd ? (1 Viewer)

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
hiii .. ive been considering doing sdd but all the teachers ii talk to say that its soooo boring and hard .. ii never done computing in years 9 & 10 ( ARGHH !!! II LOVE COMPUTERS !! ) so ii dont know anything bout the things they've learnt. but as ii was saying ii love computers. but ii dont know what you actually do in sdd, some stuff bout coding or something ? ii have no idea what that is .. ii would say ii have very good computer skills although i dont think that they are useful in sdd. ive learnt how to use things like movie makers, photoshop, and even all that javascript stuff all on my own. and ii found it easy. but how is sdd and what do you actually learn ?

Sleiphnir

HSC
N/A
What the hell is with the double i's?

As for your question - SDD is absolute cack. Your teachers are right - it is boring. Do something interesting like modern history.
The HSC course is split into Development and Impact of Software Solutions (crap like ergonomics + copyright) and the Software Development Cycle (which includes shit from Planning and Design to Implementation of a software solution) pieces crammed under those topics.
Then there's the major project where you make a program or something.
There are also two option topics - you do one. Either the Evolution of Programming Languages which is wanky or the more mathematically based Software Developers View of Hardware which is even worse.

And since you're female (unless you go to a all girls school) the class will more than likely be filled with guys and you may be the token female.
But you never know - you might like SDD - you might want to get the opinion of someone who doesn't greatly dislike the subject though. Good luck

Sleiphnir

HSC
N/A
Musk said:
Now it is very clear by her attitdue of software she wont get a band 6.

Sdd in year 11 is boring however software in yr 12 is realy really good and that it helps you in uni study if u wanna do engineering or IT
Well your tutoring isn't exactly getting me there either. Ooh snark.

You're shit Johnny.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
well my double ii's are just a habit !! .. lol .. everyone keeps asking .. =]

.. is sdd hard ? ii mean what are the concepts ? what do you need to be good at ? what do you need to know ? and stuff like modern history ! ugh .. ii hate those kinda subjects ! im a more sciency maths & computer person .. & II TOTALLY HATE ESSAYS ! ><" so yeahh .. ii have never considered history or even will =]

JBakaka

HSC
for sdd if you've done CS then you already know the basics of sdd. you dont really need any background for it, if you like computers then im sure you can easily learn all the stuff in sdd. as for toughness, no not really. its not a hard subject. theres a decent amount of information but nothing as crazy as some of the sciences out there.
the other things that you learn is the programming and the algorithms/flowcharts/diagrams.
i think the hardest part has to be the major project - where you design and create your own program complete w/ documentation. i started off with these elaborate plans for some huge RPG and ended up with two rooms and one monster/fight.
its not a bad subject, just that you might be the only girl in the class (my class only has one girl left, as compared to the 3-4 who started sdd at the start of yr 11)

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
JBakaka said:
for sdd if you've done CS then you already know the basics of sdd. you dont really need any background for it, if you like computers then im sure you can easily learn all the stuff in sdd. as for toughness, no not really. its not a hard subject. theres a decent amount of information but nothing as crazy as some of the sciences out there.
the other things that you learn is the programming and the algorithms/flowcharts/diagrams.
i think the hardest part has to be the major project - where you design and create your own program complete w/ documentation. i started off with these elaborate plans for some huge RPG and ended up with two rooms and one monster/fight.
its not a bad subject, just that you might be the only girl in the class (my class only has one girl left, as compared to the 3-4 who started sdd at the start of yr 11)
whats cs ? is it really that simple ? what kinda info do you learn ? & aww @ your rpg .. ahah .. ^^
& ii also dont have a problem with being the only girl in my class .. sometimes ii find it as a big advantage .. ^^

will ii be at a disadvantage because ii didnt do comp studies in year 9 &10 ? because ii heard that they already started something like that there and ii have no idea about it ..

& im still very confused about the subject .. what would you do in most lessons ? what would you learn ? what would be in the hsc ? & is a good major really that hard to create ? thanks guys .. =]

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
Musk said:
Sdd in year 11 is boring however software in yr 12 is realy really good
it's the total opposite - year 12 is just the year 11 rubbish all over again, just in slightly more detail because you've got four terms of class instead of three.

Unless you've got a teacher who lets you bludge around, software is the most boring subject out there

dracnom

HSC
to an extent... fun¿?. But the problem is even if you really like computers, you may not do well in the subject, this is due to either boredom or difficultness. The difficulty arises from not studying and doing lots of algorithms, and when you get a teacher that can't teach, then you don't learn anything.

about cs (computer studies), it was just a waste of time.

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
it is a pretty boring subject but its not too hard to cram for. a few hours skimming through the chapter summaries and memorising definitions should get you through the subject alright.

the bulk of the HSC papers are just extended responses that require memorising that "this is better than this because...therefore this is appropriate in such and such situation."

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Musk said:
i didnt do computer studies, what subjects are u thinking off doing
ermms .. well ii chose eng. adv. maths 2u chem bio pdhpe ipt but ii wana choose multi over pd & physics over bio & maybe consider 3u . LOL

ianc said:
it's the total opposite - year 12 is just the year 11 rubbish all over again, just in slightly more detail because you've got four terms of class instead of three.

Unless you've got a teacher who lets you bludge around, software is the most boring subject out there
hmmm .. you serious ?

dracnom said:
to an extent... fun¿?. But the problem is even if you really like computers, you may not do well in the subject, this is due to either boredom or difficultness. The difficulty arises from not studying and doing lots of algorithms, and when you get a teacher that can't teach, then you don't learn anything.

about cs (computer studies), it was just a waste of time.
hmm okaaayy .. & yeah ii kinda do love comps .. but aint so very good at em .. =/ hmmm .. sounds so boringg .. algorithms

DeathB4Life said:
it is a pretty boring subject but its not too hard to cram for. a few hours skimming through the chapter summaries and memorising definitions should get you through the subject alright.

the bulk of the HSC papers are just extended responses that require memorising that "this is better than this because...therefore this is appropriate in such and such situation."
aiyaa .. sounds like englishh .. ii hate extended responses !! .. & memorising in my weakness at times !! ><" .. and if ii was to cram .. how high would ii be expecting ? LOL

help_me_please

it nerd
HSC
i do ipt and software and seriously, heaps of the stuff overlaps for both of the courses which makes it a hell of a lot easier.... the highest mark question you will usually get will be around 6/7 marks (doesn't include algorithms - which is basically writing out code/logical steps to make something work and trust me, you'll get a lot of experience doing it) and those questions will usually be a page at the most - so its not like you're writing essays or anything.

i am a girl, and although we only have 6 people in our class (all girls), it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be the token female - everyone in our class scored really high. its all about doing past papers/questions and i'm sure you'll find software not too hard.

don't be discouraged by what everyones saying about it being a boring subject - i actually find it to be my favourite subject... like musk said, it all depends on the teacher basically.... if you do have a passion in it, then you're more likely to get a better mark - you'll be more driven to get better marks and hopefully a band 6. just because you don't think you're very good at them doesn't mean you won't go well - the whole point of doing a course is to learn - if you knew everything already, then whats the point?

i will agree with musk that the software developer's view of hardware (which is what i do) is probably a hell of a lot better than the evolution of programming languages, probably because its more logic based (binary arithmetic) and more black and white rather than grey, like evolution is.

in regards to not doing computing studies - 4/6 of our class did it and you probably get more of an advantage in ipt rather than software, and even then its only a small bit.

a good part about software (and to an extent ipt) is that you have to complete a major project. this means that you can put your theory that you have learnt into practice, which helps drum the theory into your head - the heap of documentation that you have to do also helps because most of the questions will be on a case study of some sort and if you've got the experience of doing it with your major, its heaps easier.

hopefully that helps :)

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
help_me_please said:
i do ipt and software and seriously, heaps of the stuff overlaps for both of the courses which makes it a hell of a lot easier.... the highest mark question you will usually get will be around 6/7 marks (doesn't include algorithms - which is basically writing out code/logical steps to make something work and trust me, you'll get a lot of experience doing it) and those questions will usually be a page at the most - so its not like you're writing essays or anything.

i am a girl, and although we only have 6 people in our class (all girls), it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be the token female - everyone in our class scored really high. its all about doing past papers/questions and i'm sure you'll find software not too hard.

don't be discouraged by what everyones saying about it being a boring subject - i actually find it to be my favourite subject... like musk said, it all depends on the teacher basically.... if you do have a passion in it, then you're more likely to get a better mark - you'll be more driven to get better marks and hopefully a band 6. just because you don't think you're very good at them doesn't mean you won't go well - the whole point of doing a course is to learn - if you knew everything already, then whats the point?

i will agree with musk that the software developer's view of hardware (which is what i do) is probably a hell of a lot better than the evolution of programming languages, probably because its more logic based (binary arithmetic) and more black and white rather than grey, like evolution is.

in regards to not doing computing studies - 4/6 of our class did it and you probably get more of an advantage in ipt rather than software, and even then its only a small bit.

a good part about software (and to an extent ipt) is that you have to complete a major project. this means that you can put your theory that you have learnt into practice, which helps drum the theory into your head - the heap of documentation that you have to do also helps because most of the questions will be on a case study of some sort and if you've got the experience of doing it with your major, its heaps easier.

hopefully that helps :)
hmmm .. a whole page of writing .. wow .. that was really helpful .. and not really biased .. ahah .. but you lost me at software developers view of hardware .. ahah .. ><" .. now that ii think about it .. as much as ii love computers .. although it might not make much of a difference .. this subject doesnt seem right for me .. ii find all the talk on algorithms or whatever so boring ! .. ahah .. no offence ><" .. the only thing ii would look forward to would probably the major .. ahah .. ><" .. so yeahh .. ii probably may not choose sdd but ii would like to try it .. hmm .. ii guess ill have to think long & hard about this .. thanks loads !!

Spider786

Premium Member
HSC
do it...just do it

i did both sdd and ipt, if you like computers i.e everyone looks to you for help with comp issues then do it.

both courses overlap so it was very easy, some of the formulas and the cycles are basically the same...,
i finsihed ipt last year and got band 6, hoping for the same thing this year..

Spider786

Premium Member
HSC
its an advantage thats for sure.., i got band 6 im fking happy, thats the highest i know i'll get. it also means you get a extra study periods, its out of the way and less stressing and thats one less exam to stress for and study/cram for...

it also looks good if your applying directly to a uni.

and to top it off, you get experience of the rules and procedures of the hsc exam, you will also know how easier the hsc exams are compared to the internals.., so you are better prepared or overconfident like me :(...

help_me_please

it nerd
HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
but you lost me at software developers view of hardware
basically, as part of the course, you have to do an option topic. software dev view of h/w is more mathematical and logical - you do really black or white things - that means that there's either a correct answer or a wrong answer... a lot like maths... if you do think really logically, doing this option will be a breeze

the other one, evolution of programming languages, is more like doing english, where theres a lot of interpretive answers so theres a bigger grey area to whether you're doing the correct stuff or not..i don't do this option topic but from what i've heard theres a lot of long winded questions..go do some research into what option you would be doing because it will probably help you in deciding whether you want to do software or not

sle3pe3bumz said:
ii find all the talk on algorithms or whatever so boring
algorithms are only a small part of the course. and yes, i'll be truthful, they can suck. but your major work will be comprised of algorithms, and even though the theory ones are a little pointless sometimes, they can help you develop a really good major work and you sorta feel some kind of achievement in finishing an algorithm and getting it to work correctly...

sle3pe3bumz said:
ii probably may not choose sdd but ii would like to try it
if you are still thinking of doing ipt, then you may be able to incorporate some of the software-esqe elements into your major project, like i did. basically for ipt we were told that we had to develop a website, and i used some of the stuff that i had learnt for my software major work (basic search code, SQL, coldfusion and flash) to develop a flash widget which allowed users to find their nearest store of a specific brand. here's the website for the widget: http://www.communityicare.org.au/fundraising/locations.cfm .In most software major works, you usually make a larger scale one with more options etc...

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
ianc said:
Why do so many people seem to be accelerated in IPT?

I mean, whats the point? It's hardly a burden doing IPT along with all your other hsc subjects
I was offered to do it as part of the technology class who were accelerated in computers. The point is when you are offered an accelerated opportunity you accept it. Having completed it early takes the burden off having a full study schedule allow as Spider786 free periods etc.

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC
I would have to say that overall I found software pretty boring - but perhaps this was just our teacher.

I find writing algorithms and coding fun - so for me the best part was the major project. Unfortunatly most of the syllabus is theory.

That said I don't think it's really that hard, just the odd little thing that is confusing at first. But it has kind of turned me off doing any IT based stuff at uni however, just because of the bordem factor.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
help_me_please said:
basically, as part of the course, you have to do an option topic. software dev view of h/w is more mathematical and logical - you do really black or white things - that means that there's either a correct answer or a wrong answer... a lot like maths... if you do think really logically, doing this option will be a breeze

the other one, evolution of programming languages, is more like doing english, where theres a lot of interpretive answers so theres a bigger grey area to whether you're doing the correct stuff or not..i don't do this option topic but from what i've heard theres a lot of long winded questions..go do some research into what option you would be doing because it will probably help you in deciding whether you want to do software or not

algorithms are only a small part of the course. and yes, i'll be truthful, they can suck. but your major work will be comprised of algorithms, and even though the theory ones are a little pointless sometimes, they can help you develop a really good major work and you sorta feel some kind of achievement in finishing an algorithm and getting it to work correctly...

if you are still thinking of doing ipt, then you may be able to incorporate some of the software-esqe elements into your major project, like i did. basically for ipt we were told that we had to develop a website, and i used some of the stuff that i had learnt for my software major work (basic search code, SQL, coldfusion and flash) to develop a flash widget which allowed users to find their nearest store of a specific brand. here's the website for the widget: http://www.communityicare.org.au/fundraising/locations.cfm .In most software major works, you usually make a larger scale one with more options etc...
hmm .. ii like the sound of the logical option .. but the evolution would be a real drag if ii had to do it ! ><" hmm .. wow .. theres so much info .. is there anyway somebody could give me an example of an algorithm ? and that widget thing .. was that for ipt or software ? .. ii think ii would pick this subject if my other subjects dont work out in year 11 .. ill still have to think about it .. =/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)