How is the Dux determined at your school? (1 Viewer)

InVinsanity

HSC
question says it all,
At my school its by the most first you get no matter the difficulty of the subect.
So what happend last year that i aimed to get consistency, i was 2nd in maths, science pd and engineering and 5th his and geo in my whole year. And the year advisor like 100percent put me down for the Dux, then this tweed face who gets first in pd, japanese and some elective gets dux. I wasnt pissed about missing out just the thought how this systems doesnt work irritated me as it doesnt look for the overall complete student (like uni's do), it just looks at how many 1st you have.

muzeikchun852

HSC
wat our school do is that, in year 10, the year advisor added up all the subjects mark, therefore, whoever got the highest will be dux.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
I think it's who is the overall best student, like extracurricular combined with marks, etc.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
This may be weird, but my school has a dux for each year in an attempt to promote and bring out academia in my school since they really try to boost that, along with an excellent sporting sector (which is probably too good compared to academia :p).

Anyway, dux is based on the highest number of points earned across subjects. Points are earned by getting first (3), second (2) or third (1) in any subject [the amount of points are in the parentheses]. Any subject will earn you points from Years 7 - 11. In year 12, dux is based on the highest ATAR but 'Excellence in Academia' are also awarded to each year and in year 12 this is awarded on the same points basis with certain subjects not being allowed points (such as applied maths and work studies).

:D

HSC
In Year 10/11 it was someone who was generally consistent across maths/english/sciences etc.

In year 12 it was whoever had the most first places, our dux topped gen maths, english, ancient history, pdhpe and was third in bio and religion. But in the end she also had the highest overall ATAR by a long shot.

chrisnumber1

HSC
my school only had a dux for year 12 and its based on highest ATAR......nobody cares about yr 10 or 11.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
my school only had a dux for year 12 and its based on highest ATAR......nobody cares about yr 10 or 11.

and they get dux
and no one really cares

My school.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
That is what it's like at my school. No matter how difficult the subject is, it's the most amount firsts that win. I think it's unfair and there should be some points system based on difficulty but I don't think my school is bothered to do that.

InVinsanity

HSC
I really like that point system, whats the reward with the dux, we get a $150 for year 8-10 and $200 year 11 i dont know how much for year 12 but that person usually gets a scholarship aswell as dux.

chevlr

HSC
they have some ex-maths teacher at my school who works out dux for each year (7-12), and it seems really complicated how they work it out - they go a bit ott about it, i think. but the only people who care about dux are 1 or 2 tryhards (who never get it btw :D).
I really like that point system, whats the reward with the dux, we get a $150 for year 8-10 and $200 year 11 i dont know how much for year 12 but that person usually gets a scholarship aswell as dux.
Our school its $40 for yr 7&8, $45 for yr 9&10, and $50 for yr 11&12. id try so hard to get dux if i got $200 for it...

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
My school determines an order of merit, and I think it's the top 8 of us who receive awards, with 1st being Dux. I'm not sure how it's worked out but I think it's basically a combination of scores and ranks over all subjects. It didn't have much correlation with the ATAR in my year, our dux ended up coming 5th I think ATAR-wise.

We also have an 'ATAR Dux' award (well, 'Highest ATAR of 20XX' or something like that) which is awarded at the ceremony the next year, but that doesn't have a trophy AFAIK :p

HSC
Uni Grad
At our school it's generally just the person who scores the highest ATAR of the grade.

chevlr

HSC
My school determines an order of merit, and I think it's the top 8 of us who receive awards, with 1st being Dux. I'm not sure how it's worked out but I think it's basically a combination of scores and ranks over all subjects. It didn't have much correlation with the ATAR in my year, our dux ended up coming 5th I think ATAR-wise.

We also have an 'ATAR Dux' award (well, 'Highest ATAR of 20XX' or something like that) which is awarded at the ceremony the next year, but that doesn't have a trophy AFAIK :p
yeh that's the system at my school - it's too complicated for me, so i don't bother thinking about it.

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
For Year 12
Dux of IB: Highest point total (/45)
Dux of HSC: Highest ATAR

Dux of School: IB point score converted to UAC rank (an ATAR that is not an ATAR). Highest out of ATAR and UAC rank

For Year 7-11: no idea

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)