how many hours should i study for? (1 Viewer)

poptarts12345

HSC
In year 11 right now, and I'm trying to get in tune with developing a good study pattern for next year and the years to come. Is there some good way in managing your time. How did you divide time amongst your subjects? Also i want to develop a good school/rest time balance (i.e find time for exercise/sleep..etc) - if its even possible. Also what is a good holiday study plan tip?

beetree1

HSC
hi! i wish i had the mindset in year 11 that you have. i realised how fked i am too too late and now i am sad.
well done. what i'm going to say is only what works for me, but i think it is really effective and you can try it if it seems reasonable to you.

I believe the easiest way to divide time amongst my subjects and studying effectively for them is by creating a study timetable.

I would recommend you to study as much as you can (with breaks ofc), but also make sure you get at least 7 hours of sleep.
However, around 3 weeks before exam block, you should have a study timetable that you would stick to for those weeks, and study intensely.

For the holidays, you should wake up early
(9-10ish) so you don't feel bad for sleeping in, have food etc, but then get straight to work! You should also have a study timetable for these two weeks.

I'm not too sure of how to explain how to make a study timetable ... you just do. If you want to see mine, I am more than willing to pm it to you, just chuck me a message!

AKONS

HSC
G'day poptarts12345!

I'm going to give you some advice I wish I knew I earlier that has been influenced by my own experimentation with studying.

STUDY TIMETABLE
The most important thing is make it realistic. Black out all the times that you have weekly obligations whether it being school or sport. And most importantly people need breaks! I've heard a lot about students who study 5 hours straight, no breaks, although this is possible for some it likely detrimentally impacts effectiveness of study! Also you will quickly lose motivation after days of this routine. However, too many breaks that are too long could obliterate your study momentum.

HOW TO ORGANISE STUDY
Personally, I have tried designating extremely specific time frames that have broad goals like "Study English for 1 hour". It didn't work well for me. What are your goals in that hour? Do they align with your long-term goals? These are just some of the important questions that you need to answer. I like to develop a rough term schedule of all the chapters and past papers I do per week (BE SPECIFIC ABOUT WHICH CHAPTERS, ETC) which gives you weekly goals. Write a to do list every day that contributes to achieving your weekly goals. This is a life saver!!! However, its important you do ALL your weekly goals in terms of each subject. Remember, your ATAR is your 10 best units. A good 8 units can be seriously dragged down by a bad 2 units. WORK ON YOUR WEAKEST TOPICS/SKILLS/SUBJECTS!!!

This is just some of the advice that could benefit you. But its important to try different methods to see what works for you. Don't take my word for it and give even other methods a go. Best of luck! You'll get through his hard time.

:)

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
Wow, thanks y'all. How did I get here? Back to work for me!

ultra908

HSC
an interesting thing about study timetables- make them flexible and lenient. Make sure u have allocated reasonable times and goals. Lots of people make study timetables when they are optimistic about their work and relatively relaxed- but when it comes to stressful times and actually following it, it becomes rlly difficult and further demotivating when you can't do everything on a jam packed schedule. This lead to a kind of 'oh f it' and scrapping the whole study timetable response. I know ive done this a couple of times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)