How much do people earn? (1 Viewer)

Jolteon

HSC
Just a thought but what is the average salary/income in Sydney?
Just read a thread on Reddit about 'being poor' and wondering what degrees have wider employment opportunities in the future.

Thanks!

Jaxxnuts

HSC
N/A
Just read a thread on Reddit about 'being poor' and wondering what degrees have wider employment opportunities in the future.

Thanks!
I might be wrong in saying this so don't trust me completely

I read somewhere that TAFE students usually have better employment prospects, job security and less money to pay back (in terms of government oan for higher study)

About 1/3 of uni students can't find employment (usually)

I think one job that is in demand (and in low supply) would be a data scientist but if I were you I wouldn't pick on a job based on demand, I'd pick it on what I enjoy/like (because what if you end up hating your job?)

I think anything STEM related could be in high demand (with demand expected to grow)

Kolmias

HSC
I think anything STEM related could be in high demand (with demand expected to grow)
You're so unbelievably wrong. Biology, chemistry, physics, maths are in high demand? Hell no.

cosmo 2

the head cheese
HSC
the STEM myth needs to die

engineering, which is still ok to study, shouldnt be lumped in with the rest of "science" majors

maff, physix and especially "life sciences" like biology are about on par with arts degrees nowadays

i think biology might be the single worst thing you can study of all possible majors but i could be wrong

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad

engineering, which is still ok to study, shouldnt be lumped in with the rest of "science" majors

maff, physix and especially "life sciences" like biology are about on par with arts degrees nowadays

i think biology might be the single worst thing you can study of all possible majors but i could be wrong
m8 maths is the best degree

Unless u do pure maths

enoilgam

HSC
It's not so much what you do, it's what you do with it. Obviously, some degrees are stronger than others, but a lot of times success or failure comes down to people not knowing how to manage their career and failing to work on it during university. Like, people say Arts degrees are worthless, but I think people fail to recognise the full reason why Arts students fail to find jobs. With Arts, most people who study it either dont know what they really want to do, or they are doing something with Arts that is a passion, not a future career path. If you go into an Arts degree with a clear view of what you want to do for a career, then you can make moves during university to ensure you have a role going forward. Ive hired a few Arts graduates in my time, recently I hired one around their mid 20s and their starting salary was nearly $150k (they did have several years industry experience).

If you look at engineering, again career management plays a big role - they are in high demand but many graduates go nowhere. Ive hired engineers in their mid-20s earning around the $150k mark and Ive seen friends who have gone unemployed in engineering because they havent really tried to do anything in the way of career development during university.

Long story short, when you get to uni, start working on gaining practical, relevant experience. If you just study for exams and do the degree, good luck.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

Can confirm lmaoo

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say those with science or engineering backgrounds may need to think beyond the obvious career paths and what are the longer term potential options where they can add value. I work with quite a few STEM people in my role (I work in banking consulting) and really appreciate the very logical and structured approach, as well as the ability to not just understand complex problems to build scripts/solutions.

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC

This might just be something I was told to encourage me to do what I want, but I heard that a lot of banks and finance places employ people with math degrees because of the type of 'higher order thinking' it requires. And then they appreciate a business diploma (e.g. from tafe) on the side. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

sida1049

HSC
This might just be something I was told to encourage me to do what I want, but I heard that a lot of banks and finance places employ people with math degrees because of the type of 'higher order thinking' it requires. And then they appreciate a business diploma (e.g. from tafe) on the side. Can anyone confirm/deny this?
I had dinner with Jane Street employees a while back, and they mentioned that the vast majority of their employees are maths and computer science majors, with very few commerce graduates. They also don't give a shit whether you have studied finance before, as they train their new recruits regardless. Optiver seems to be similar, so it appears that at the very least, modern trading firms go out of their way to get maths/stats/comp sci graduates.

I kind of doubt that firms would just hire maths majors on the basis of equating maths qualifications with some kind of an intelligence test, but hey, I'll take that compliment.

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Healthcare is the fastest growing sector in Australia, and has obvious job security. Graduate numbers are also high though, graduate unemployment does exist. If you go rural/regional, prospects are somewhat better.

enghero

HSC
Uni Grad

Thanks!
Average salary/income in Sydney is definitely not $80,000. I think this figure is skewed because of the minority who earns way more than the rest of Sydneysiders.

The question is not about being poor. It's more about how much do you need to earn in Sydney to live comfortably.

In regards to what degrees have wider employment opportunity in the future. I agree that healthcare is a growing demand with the ageing population, data scientist is another one as big data is going to be a surging interest in the future. How to analyse the data and become a useful information.
Recently Australia just opened up a space agency so there is going to be another opportunity there.
Space exploration is not just about firing rockets to space, you will have a base, with satellites dishes, telecommunication arrays, etc. In this case, a field of engineering is going to excel such as civil, electrical, telecommunication, aerospace, mechanical, robotic.

In this aspect engineering is going to be in higher demands.
Even for old school engineering such as civil engineering. With more population moving and living into the city, this place pressure on the existing infrastructure than the city can cope and hence infrastructure are being upgraded or constructed such as Sydney Metro and Westconnex. I can say that civil engineering is currently more in demand than ever. Though this is probably a boom season.

cherryboi

HSC
Hi enoilgam, did the university they go to have any factor in them earning that much? like for example if he went to UTS for engineering instead of USYD/UNSW for engineering, would that make a difference?

Last edited:

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
@OP, Check out some whirlpool threads or australian finance subreddits if you want a good answer, but it would be great if you specify a job title, location and company.
Everyone on whirlpool earns over 200k its amazing

enghero

HSC
Uni Grad
It doesn't matter which university you go to. The more experience you have, the more money you will earn. So get an engineering job as soon as you can even when you're at uni.

enoilgam

HSC
Hi enoilgam, did the university they go to have any factor in them earning that much? like for example if he went to UTS for engineering instead of USYD/UNSW for engineering, would that make a difference?
No it wouldnt - it has never been raised by a HM. You have to remember, we get applications from all over the country and even overseas, so you dont just see UNSW/USYD graduates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)