How much work did you put in for HSC (1 Viewer)

pscecelia

HSC
This is for smart 85-99.95 ranks, how much work did u guys put in, like can u tell me did u study in yr 11 n ur study pattern Plsssssss

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Well, I knew a lot of people who only consistently did their work, but not much studying until prior weeks of HSC exams. I just post this for a general idea you can get, but I would say to develop good studying habbits and make sure you have consistency in doing your work throughout the year. There is also another thread about this

- http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=273152

13abie

HSC
I worked really hard, 4 hours average on school days, and then about 10-12 hours on weekends and after school ended.
Still didnt do that great, but it might be because I did 0 hours in the first three holidays, I was normally too burnt out.

working hard doesnt get you great results its better just to be really really naturally good at maths (4unit maths really is the key). The smart kids either did less work and slightly better (98.5-99.5) or the same work and way better (99.5-99.95). if you're not naturally smart at maths (im one of those people) you need to put a LOT of work in.

Also don't be white. That was probably my biggest mistake

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
This is for smart 85-99.95 ranks, how much work did u guys put in, like can u tell me did u study in yr 11 n ur study pattern Plsssssss
It depends on your levels of natural intelligence. Also, study is about finding what works for you. As a broad strategy, just try to cut down on procrastination as michaeljennings said, find ways to stay motivated and be consistant with your efforts.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Definitely not as much as I should've. I didn't even do my homework all the time and did barely any individual study. :/

Last edited:

myafanatic

HSC
In all honesty, not a lot. I didn't write practice essays for anything except English (and only 1 for each module) and didn't do any past papers for anything other than maths and multiple choice in other subjects. Apart from that the bulk of my study was on maths because I enjoyed it. For me, it ultimately came down to drawing on knowledge from throughout the year (i.e. I actually listened in class) and having good exam techniques and linguistic skills.

Lina3

HSC
Also don't be white. That was probably my biggest mistake
:O NOOO, so there is not hope for me then :,(
Actually there were quite a few white people this year that came 1st in state...just sayin. If you work very hard race should have nothing to do with it.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
These are really arbitrary figures - everyone needs different amounts of study to get X ATAR.

minzoir

HSC
IMO: It's not how smart you are but how hard you work (but intelligence does help).
My average mark in prelims was about 50% (easy subjects too), I was ranked very close to the bottom of all my subjects. I go to a rural school (rank 600 or something) , so this was not a good thing at all. I worked very very hard and payed no attention to what other people around me said. I made sure I had goals, timetables and deadlines and did my best to stick to them. I did many past papers for each subject and was constantly talking to teachers after class for extra help. I might not be the smartest cookie, but I've shown that if you work hard you can get the marks you want. Good luck mate.

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
:O NOOO, so there is not hope for me then :,(
Actually there were quite a few white people this year that came 1st in state...just sayin. If you work very hard race should have nothing to do with it.
A lot of those Caucasians voluntarily emancipated themselves from their parents and requested adoption or mentoring under the stewardship of Asian parents.

This is the true way to win the HSC.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Year 11 - no study at all, keep cruising through doing homework and assignments.

Year 12... an hour or so a day on average?

mattopirotta

HSC
Don't study hard, study smart. But when its smart to study hard do that too

VicariousLife

HSC
I got 85.00 & my school would be ranked in the bottom 50 schools and my ranks were all ~2-16/30-50. So not that flash. (Teachers saw the lack of effort i put in and were more tediosus in suppressing my marks and setting up where my ranking would be).
I did ~3hours study per exam, the night before.... For the whole year, because I didn't study for trials/mid years. I didn't have a book for Senior Science (recieved an exam mark of 90) and Religion2unit (Recieved an exam mark of 89) and general math i was away on holidays for "Annuities and Spherical Geometry" and cbf catching up and got an exam mark of 88.
But tbh, I did nuffy subjects. So thus, choose nuffy subjects if you're a lazy fuck like myself and more-so enjoy having a social life rather than committing to school studies and you should be able to do alright. Although; i don't know if i majorly fluked my exams, or what happened, but i have 3 friends who are all ranked significantly higher than me, and are supposedly way more intelligent, and we did practically the same subjects, and they all recieved high 70's and low 80's which copious amounts of study.
I'm going to add another factor; if you feel you can understand and regurgitate what you have learned without studying (i find it quite simple to remember things we learned at the start of the year) then that will also assist you if you don't enjoy studying.. Conversely if you forget things easily, studddddddy hard.
If i had gotten my exam marks, atar calculators tell me I would've recieved around 89ish, which is pretty good for absolute minimal effort.

joezia

HSC
my school is in the bottom 10, never opened a book at home, never studied, didnt even read the english standard book for module B, and got 80 for english standard (4% of students get that lol ) , ended up with 71.35 atar.. whole cohort did pretty shit too so didnt get help from there, with at least 30% of cohort getting an <30 atar

:)

Last edited:

elbatiolpxeho

HSC
my school is ranked in the bottom half

i did no consistent study AT ALL throughout the year

all my assessments were started 2/3 days before it was due

i did no preparation for assessments that were just tests (e.g. maths)

it was only during the 2 weeks before the hsc that i did proper study, about 5 hours a day, every day

i ended up with 98.55 and became dux of my school

elbatiolpxeho

HSC
^point of that story isn't that you shouldn't study

it's that everyone's required study pattern is different

it's something you have to work out for yourself

i hardly did any work outside of school (nor inside of school since i jigged most classes towards the end of the year lol)

and that worked for me but for many students that would be disastrous to their hsc

khfreakau

HSC
lol @ don't be white comment.

in all seriousness, i don't think i did as much as i could have. it varied depending on what time of year it was, but generally i'd do at least something every day.

note: in year 11, i was ranked 99th at my school using internal assessments. then look what happened :D anything's possibleee

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
started studying 2 weeks before
did zero past papers except for chem (1 paper), maths (3 papers) and MX1 (1 paper)

got >95 lols

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Well I continuously made notes in year 12 so that every dot point was covered IN DETAIL for IPT and SDD. (I also bought the new IPT excel book to cover the new syllabus). And I asked my teachers questions if i wasn't sure of a dot point. (I made year 11 notes, but only did very brief notes leading up to my prelim exam)

For English I gave my teacher heaps of practice essays to mark and did a few past papers.

For maths I did plenty of past papers with friends and asked my teacher for help.

SoR paid attention in class and made notes in year 12.

for I.T I didn't make any notes for this subject, because I already had two sets of notes from IPT and SDD and I knew the content. I just practised heaps of past papers in class. (I had a really good teacher who always pushed us to do more and more practice responses). I must say if you want to do well in this subject, learn your OHS! in my exam there was the last question, an 8 marker all on OHS. I studied it heaps, even on the way to school that day, I was walking and reading my notes over and over again, until all the dates were stuck in my head and all Acts.

Do these tasks for all your subjects and I guarantee you'll get an ATAR of 90+

Btw I also gamed, went driving, celebrated birthdays and went on Facebook throughout year 11 and 12. I found deactivating my account and changing my password to a really long complicated password really put me off signing in during exam periods - which really boosting my concentration on exams and led to great results.

You have to be prepared to give up SOME family outings to prepare for exams, during an exam period or an exam in general.

Good luck with your HSC!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)