How safe is Redfern? (1 Viewer)

Lina3

HSC
There are some nights when I may have to make my way home at around 9:30 pm, since I live about 50 mins away from the uni I fear that it may be an issue. Normally, I catch the train there and back...but there is no way I am doing that at almost 10 at night, especially since the station is right up the road from The Block. So my question is: is it really as unsafe in Redfern as people say? Also, do buses go to and from Uni often at that time of night? I'm considering maybe catching the bus home, is this a better alternative to catching the train?

Thank you :)

Last edited:

_traveler_

That married guy
HSC
N/A
Redfern isnt that bad. Even at that time of night people still go home from uni. Just follow the usual path and you should be okay!

Lina3

HSC
Redfern isnt that bad. Even at that time of night people still go home from uni. Just follow the usual path and you should be okay!
That's good to hear! What about the train station itself? Not that bad either?

_traveler_

That married guy
HSC
N/A
That's good to hear! What about the train station itself? Not that bad either?
Seeing as the station is a medium sized hub it should be fine. Just try to keep away from anything/people that seem suspicious or dangerous. Worse comes to worse if you're not feeling safe just take the bus home from city road. Or if its safer take the bus to railway square/central and train home from there :)

Lina3

HSC
Catch the campus bus to Redfern station. On Mon-Thurs it runs until 10.15. http://sydney.edu.au/current_students/transport_safety/campus-bus.shtml

Alternatively you could walk or take a public bus to Central Station.

I haven't had any problems around Redfern even at that time of night, but you may feel safer with the above options.
Seeing as the station is a medium sized hub it should be fine. Just try to keep away from anything/people that seem suspicious or dangerous. Worse comes to worse if you're not feeling safe just take the bus home from city road. Or if its safer take the bus to railway square/central and train home from there :)
Interesting...I haven't thought of catching the bus to central and going on the train from there. It surely beats catching the bus all the way home, because it would only take my about 3/4 of the way before I'll be forced to change over. Would either of you be able to tell me where I can catch a public bus from? I'm a newbie so still trying to figure out my way around :) I've seen some bus stops just on that road underneath the footbridge, is that where I'd need to go?

_traveler_

That married guy
HSC
N/A
Interesting...I haven't thought of catching the bus to central and going on the train from there. It surely beats catching the bus all the way home, because it would only take my about 3/4 of the way before I'll be forced to change over. Would either of you be able to tell me where I can catch a public bus from? I'm a newbie so still trying to figure out my way around :) I've seen some bus stops just on that road underneath the footbridge, is that where I'd need to go?
https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-33...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1se7Aro_NIvswWx0mUewdFGA!2e0

Here. Its just in front of wentworth/eastern ave.

Is pepper spray legal?
Illegal. Unless you live in WA according to wiki.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
You'll probably be more safe in Redfern compared to the train back home tbh.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah the train rides at night are not the best.

This is the only time that you would actually want to be in the one carriage that is fully packed.

martino1234

HSC
N/A
damn you guys are some pussies. i walked back by myself from redfern at 11. bunch of little bitches.

Lina3

HSC
There are bus stops at the end of Eastern Avenue, on city road (the bus comes from newtown and goes towards Central). There are also buses near footbridge theatre which is behind the quad on Parramatta road (the bus comes from parramatta and goes towards central).

If you grab a university map from the student centre, it folds out to show information about different bus numbers and which ones go where.
https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-33....x0mUewdFGA!2e0

Here. Its just in front of wentworth/eastern ave.
Thanks so much :) Soo glad its right next to the uni!

Yeah the train rides at night are not the best.

This is the only time that you would actually want to be in the one carriage that is fully packed.
Yeah, I've had those thoughts too...I know guards are supposed to be on the train, but they're not always there :/ What about travelling in the first carriage, right outside of the driver's compartment?

Is pepper spray legal?
Sadly not, because if it was I'd seriously consider it. My friend advised me to always carry a knife even though it was illegal because apparently if you have no criminal record, they'll let you off easy...but I don't want to risk it.

damn you guys are some pussies. i walked back by myself from redfern at 11. bunch of little bitches.
Well, in this instance...I'm not ashamed to say that I am hesitant about being there at night. "18 year old girl, walking alone through Redfern at 10pm" is not exactly a scenario that gives the imagination many good outcomes.

Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Trains will always have a guard and driver. Guard is usually in the middle of the train but in the newer waratah trains they are at the very back. Look for the compartment where the blue light above it is switched on. Waratah carriages also have extensive internal CCTV and the guard can monitor the entire train. More emergency help points too.

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
The area in front of wentworth where the buses pass are pretty safe. You can check out the timetable and see how consistently they arrive on this page: http://www.transportnsw.info/en/maps-and-timetables/index.page?#bus-status-updates-item-tab

Yeah, I've had those thoughts too...I know guards are supposed to be on the train, but they're not always there :/ What about travelling in the first carriage, right outside of the driver's compartment?
Staying on the first carriage would be a better idea. But, you should look around to see if they have the emergency red button so just incase…
If you find anyone who seems suspicious or makes you uncomfortable move to the next carriage and see what happens…

She needs to feel and be safe. What the fuck are you on about? You probably can't even fight back if something unpleasant happens to you.

BTW: You can't say I'm a little bitch because I've been in what will be regarded as riskier situations than you.

rope

HSC
N/A
The walk to redfern really isn't that bad, done it to get my last train home just after midnight on numerous occasions after some late night carslaw learning hub sessions. If you're feeling hungry the kebab shop on the way should still be open at that time. Though since it's only around 9:30pm, you're best off catching the free campus bus that rafy posted, it has a bunch of stops around uni and drops you off right outside the station. Lots of normal late-working people on the trains on weekdays, especially at that time, though late fri/sat nights can get hilarious. As for city rd buses to central, a quick check shows that there's 4 buses between 9:30-10pm, or walk through vic park to the broadway stops and you'll get buses every few minutes.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't do it. You'll get stabbed and die and your parents will mourn for you and..... (I've run out)

Lina3

HSC
just make sure you walk through eveleigh street on the way back. heaps nice people down there, 100% safe
Yeah I know, its such a lovely little jewel isn't it? My mates and I have strolled there every day to and from Usyd. The park down there is releaxing and gorgeous! Truly a hidden treasure.
Naah but maybe you should have said that you were just joking in your post? Someone may have taken you seriously. For anyone who may not know: Its best NOT to go down to Eveligh Street.

Don't do it. You'll get stabbed and die and your parents will mourn for you and..... (I've run out)
That's the primary reason I'm a little hesitant about catching the train...Eveligh street is so close. Idk if its true but I've heard that the area around there is pretty much off limits to non-indigenous people and that even the police tries to avoid it. Anyway, a poster on another site seemed accurate when he said that the BEST outcome of going on an excursion there is being spat at and called 'white scum' (ie you would be lucky if that's the only thing that's happened to you). Perhaps all this is an exaggeration, but I don't think many would like to try their luck there.

sugartits

HSC
I had to run through redfern in my Onesie at 11:30 on wednesday after the O week party, felt safe :p

There were some others also walking to the station, i reckon they were more scared - a crazy guy in a crocodile onesie is sprinting towards you hahahaha

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
Redfern is not safe after 9pm.
If you do finish uni late, you might as well be better off catching the bus to Central/ town hall and get home from central/ town hall. Although it's a longer route and it takes you longer to get home, but hey, it's much more safer than risking your life and walking to redfern station. After all, your life and safety is more important than these shortcuts.

Plus, you're a girl. You don't want to risk it. Lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)