How strict are USYD atar cutoffs (1 Viewer)

zheng1

HSC
Hello

My friend got a 91.90 ATAR and would like to studying engineering at USYD which has an atar of 92. They don't have any bonus points or EAS.

Do you know if they can get in to that?

Thanks

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Not too familiar with how the system works nowadays, but before, the cutoff was simply the lowest accepted mark for a given year, so it will change every year and you won't know the cut-off until after everyone has accepted their offers. Cut-offs from previous years were simply used as ballpark estimates to give an idea of what mark you'd need. Nowadays there's crap like guaranteed entry mark and whatnot, so it depends what that 92 refers to?

engineering

HSC
N/A
The cutoff is 92 for students without any adjustment factors.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Might be able to do science (has a lower cut-off?) then choose first-year engineering subjects then transfer.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
The cutoff is 92 for students without any adjustment factors.
Ah right, I just read up on the new Fixed ATAR system that USYD put in place a few years ago. Wasn't aware of this. At first, I thought it just meant if you get 92 you'll definitely get in, but you can still get in if there's available room. Didn't know it was a hard number.

Side thought: Seems kind of odd that they say this is the minimum mark you need and everyone with that mark will get in. Like, what if too many people go for it and they don't have the capacity, or what if not enough people apply so that they have room for those with lower ATARs? The previous ATAR cut-off system was based on supply and demand which made sense. Are all major universities doing this nowadays?

TheBrutux168

HSC
Ah right, I just read up on the new Fixed ATAR system that USYD put in place a few years ago. Wasn't aware of this. At first, I thought it just meant if you get 92 you'll definitely get in, but you can still get in if there's available room. Didn't know it was a hard number.

Side thought: Seems kind of odd that they say this is the minimum mark you need and everyone with that mark will get in. Like, what if too many people go for it and they don't have the capacity, or what if not enough people apply so that they have room for those with lower ATARs? The previous ATAR cut-off system was based on supply and demand which made sense. Are all major universities doing this nowadays?
I'm pretty sure it is only USyd that is doing this kind of thing. UNSW states that you may still receive an offer despite scoring lower than the guaranteed selection rank.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)