How to ace oral presentations (1 Viewer)

Matador

HSC
Thanks a ton for this!
I have two speeches due in the next two weeks, one of them is for SoR II - since I'm doing it on a pretty broad topic (The Stolen Generations) I'm having trouble with what information to include and what to leave out. Also, are there any tips on conveying ideas in the best way possible and to get my point across more effectively?
I also noticed that I run out of breath very quickly and my voice seems to fade out mid-sentence every once in a while, not sure what to do about this.
Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks a ton for this!
I have two speeches due in the next two weeks, one of them is for SoR II - since I'm doing it on a pretty broad topic (The Stolen Generations) I'm having trouble with what information to include and what to leave out. Also, are there any tips on conveying ideas in the best way possible and to get my point across more effectively?
I also noticed that I run out of breath very quickly and my voice seems to fade out mid-sentence every once in a while, not sure what to do about this.
Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers
Hi there, consider how many words you can speak in one minute and how much time you have to deliver the speech, and that should give you a rough word limit for your speech, then decide on what is the most important information to include-so consider the relevance of it to your assessment question, and avoid repeating information, also see whether you can cut out things-I think easiest thing to do is always to write a draft-even though it is likely to be much longer than your final one-and then just kept refining it.

To convey ideas in the best way possible-make sure you have some sort of topic sentence and introduction to really give a very good overview as well as conclusion to remind people what are the points you want to make. To make points more effectively, eye contact, gestures, pause, analogies, interesting statistics and the list literally goes on in how to make your point more effective-but in general shorter sentences makes better sentences.

If you run out of breath very quickly, that means you are speaking far too quickly, so you need to consciously slow down your speech or else have less words in your speech, voice fading out can only be remedy by practising consciously to ensure your voice is at a consistent volume. At the end of the day, record yourself and practice plenty of times-practice makes things perfect:) Hope this helps and best of luck for your two speeches:)

relativity1

HSC
What is better? To talk faster and have more content OR to have less content but use more expression and emphasis on words

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
What is better? To talk faster and have more content OR to have less content but use more expression and emphasis on words
So sorry for the late reply-Never talk faster, always have more useful content-selective and use more hand gestures and appropriate eye contact to maximise delivery impact :)

Kolmias

HSC
1. Speak clearly.
2. Rehearse.
3. Make sure the content you are delivering is the best you can do. Every speech I write for school, I do not print it and begin rehearsing until I believe it is good enough to receive full marks.

HSC
N/A
I had my oral presentation last week for English, I hope I went ok.

I was within the time limit and spoke clearly but I mispronounced maybe 2 words from nerves (I read descendant as descending before correcting myself, and idyllic as ideally :( )

DonnaN

HSC
N/A
Awesome thread! My advice'd be to imagine yourself as an audience, in order to find out what they'd want to hear and see. Using simple language is a good idea too. And of course practicing!

mollytee

HSC
Hey Mei :) I have an extension speech due soon and I was wondering how I should structure it. It needs to be 9-10 minutes long while incorporating technology. I need to justify to an audience of university students why the gothic genre remains of value to a contemporary audience using two of Poe's texts + a related (where I'm using a film). I'm pretty lost on how to put it all together. Any help is appreciated.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey Mei :) I have an extension speech due soon and I was wondering how I should structure it. It needs to be 9-10 minutes long while incorporating technology. I need to justify to an audience of university students why the gothic genre remains of value to a contemporary audience using two of Poe's texts + a related (where I'm using a film). I'm pretty lost on how to put it all together. Any help is appreciated.
Unfortunately I don't know your exact question but I will try my best. I think it is basically like an essay where you have like your introduction, key points and a conclusion, you can do a powerpoint presentation or a video if you are feeling adventurous and creative. You can always pretend you are a professor and like either have a sort of lecture-i.e. welcome to GOT1332, 'Gothic Genre in the Contemporary World', in this course we will consider blah blah blah, and extract key ideas form the relevant texts-I would do it like an essay, i.e. Idea 1-paragraph1 (POE TEXT 1), paragraph 2(film related), Idea 2-Paragraph 3(POE TEXT 2), paragraph 4(film related)-but this might be a bit short you should consult your teacher more specifically, and then you can spend like 2 minutes on each paragraph-which is plenty of words, and like 1 minute on intro and conclusion, hope this helps-just an idea-you don't need to adopt it

mollytee

HSC
Unfortunately I don't know your exact question but I will try my best. I think it is basically like an essay where you have like your introduction, key points and a conclusion, you can do a powerpoint presentation or a video if you are feeling adventurous and creative. You can always pretend you are a professor and like either have a sort of lecture-i.e. welcome to GOT1332, 'Gothic Genre in the Contemporary World', in this course we will consider blah blah blah, and extract key ideas form the relevant texts-I would do it like an essay, i.e. Idea 1-paragraph1 (POE TEXT 1), paragraph 2(film related), Idea 2-Paragraph 3(POE TEXT 2), paragraph 4(film related)-but this might be a bit short you should consult your teacher more specifically, and then you can spend like 2 minutes on each paragraph-which is plenty of words, and like 1 minute on intro and conclusion, hope this helps-just an idea-you don't need to adopt it

Thankyou so much!!!

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
I also have a structure question:

I'm doing a speech thats 4-5 mins long, its based on the related text I chose - V for Vendetta, and i have to discuss the political motivations of characters and their impact on others and society i.e. cause and effect.
also, I am "speaking" to a english module C forum.

i was thinking of a classic essay structure i.e. intro, discuss 2 or 3 points depending if time forgives, then conclude
also i'm only 50% proud of my english introduction, not sure if it ticks all boxes. i asked my teacher and she said she liked it - not necessarily good.
any suggestions?

V for Vendetta, directed by James McTeigue, is a film of rebellion – the finest kind. If there’s one fundamental theme which entirely captivates, it is what V, represents, for lack of better word: “Vengeance”. Gladly, I invite you, fellow students of Module C, into the distracted and masked world of V for Vendetta. The film portrays the particular political motivations of figures of civilized control, and the rebels against. V for Vendetta, inexorably, presents the essence and delusion of power.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I also have a structure question:

I'm doing a speech thats 4-5 mins long, its based on the related text I chose - V for Vendetta, and i have to discuss the political motivations of characters and their impact on others and society i.e. cause and effect.
also, I am "speaking" to a english module C forum.

i was thinking of a classic essay structure i.e. intro, discuss 2 or 3 points depending if time forgives, then conclude
also i'm only 50% proud of my english introduction, not sure if it ticks all boxes. i asked my teacher and she said she liked it - not necessarily good.
any suggestions?

V for Vendetta, directed by James McTeigue, is a film of rebellion – the finest kind. If there’s one fundamental theme which entirely captivates, it is what V, represents, for lack of better word: “Vengeance”. Gladly, I invite you, fellow students of Module C, into the distracted and masked world of V for Vendetta. The film portrays the particular political motivations of figures of civilized control, and the rebels against. V for Vendetta, inexorably, presents the essence and delusion of power.
I would only suggest 2 points for a 4-5 minute speech, 3 points is too excessive. I think the main problem with your intro is that it is not connected well enough between sentences, could flow much better with better organisation, and I don't really like the first sentence, seems to be going around the bush when you say it is a film of rebellion-what kind of rebellion-what do you mean by the finest kind-sometimes clear straightforward words are really important in speeches when people don't have much time to understand and decode what you say, so you got to make sure your sentences are coherent and clear enough they can understand by hearing.

Best wishes for your speech.

Looky

HSC
i have a question:
my question is that i dont really know how to structure essays and oral presentations :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)