How to attribute a technique to a quote? (1 Viewer)

goldpants

HSC
Hi!

I'm in a bit of a pickle, It's encouraged to apply a technique to every quote you use, but usually, the most important/useful quotes from a text don't have a conventional technique to them, and I don't want to reach saying that it's a metaphor, simile or that it uses imagery when it clearly doesn't. After scouring lists of literary devices, I still can't put my finger on what techniques the quote uses, for instance the quote, "the only evidence to the contrary was the mute protest in your own bones, the instinctive feeling that the conditions you lived in were intolerable and that at some other time they must've been different" is such a great quote form 1984, but what technique does it use? The only thing that comes to mind is a stream-of-conscience tone, which is essentially how the entire principal story line is written. How do we combat this? Is anyone else struggling with this?

Please let me know your thoughts!

Last edited:

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
Hi!

I'm in a bit of a pickle, It's encouraged to apply a technique to every quote you use, but usually, the most important/useful quotes from a text don't have a conventional technique to them, and I don't want to reach saying that it's a metaphor, simile or that it uses imagery when it clearly doesn't. After scouring lists of literary devices, I still can't put my finger on what techniques the quote uses, for instance the quote, "the only evidence to the contrary was the mute protest in your own bones, the instinctive feeling that the conditions you lived in were intolerable and that at some other time they must've been different" is such a great quote form 1984, but what technique does it use? The only thing that comes to mind is a stream-of-conscience tone, which is essentially how the entire principal story line is written. How do we combat this? Is anyone else struggling with this?

Please let me know your thoughts!
Only thing i can think of is the use of the second pronoun 'you'

studiesofboard

HSC
I have not studied this but here are some of my ideas:
  • Metaphor- because you can't have a protest in your bones😂
  • long sentence
  • pronoun - 'they'
  • pronoun - 'you' as said above
  • juxtaposition - fear and confidence

Last edited:

studiesofboard

HSC
I am not sure but I think the quote means the individual's fear of expressing she/he's views and speaking out their own voice due to family issues. However, whenever they are in public they are more comfortable and open. - juxtaposition - fear and confidence

goldpants

HSC
Good take!
The context to this is that Winston (main character) lives in a totalitarian regime where there is no freedom of thought or expression, all forms of media are government-endorsed propaganda so that the citizens living within that government are condition to believe that this is reality, and that this is how life is meant to be lived. Anyone who dares rebel against the government is killed, or eliminated. This is basically 1984 in a nutshell lol.

RossoneriAU

HSC
I'd say that "mute protest" is an oxymoron as it distorts the conventional image of power from one of voice and expression to one of silence and secrecy. Shows how true power is inherent and, by displaying your capacity for power (i.e through protesting), you lose that power under an oppressive society. I don't remember the context of that quote, but that's just the way i interpreted it.

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
I'd say that "mute protest" is an oxymoron as it distorts the conventional image of power from one of voice and expression to one of silence and secrecy. Shows how true power is inherent and, by displaying your capacity for power (i.e through protesting), you lose that power under an oppressive society. I don't remember the context of that quote, but that's just the way i interpreted it.
oh right nice catch on the oxymoron!

goldpants

HSC
Holy crap, that's beautiful. Gonna add that to my study notes real quick if you don't mind. Thanks for replying!!

goldpants

HSC
We should make this the official "find the technique" thread... if there isn't already one!

What are your takes on these quotes from King Richard III?

“Determined to prove a villain”

“Deformed, unfinished, sent before my time”

“So far in blood that sin will pluck on sin.”

“Tear-falling pity dwells not in this eye.”

“My kingdom for a horse”

LoanWoolfq

HSC
HEy, how do i avoid using the same style of analysis...
i always say, 'through the (technique) in the line, "...(quote)... Effect.

So like.... through the extended metaphore in lysanders sililoque, "..." shakespeare uncloaks the raw nature of love, furthur expounding the didactic appeal of the text!

i got marked down for this...has anybody got any other sentence structures to utilise?

idkkdi

HSC

So like.... through the extended metaphore in lysanders sililoque, "..." shakespeare uncloaks the raw nature of love, furthur expounding the didactic appeal of the text!

i got marked down for this...has anybody got any other sentence structures to utilise?
That should not get marked down.

AKONS

HSC
G'day goldpants

I've been in a similar situation, especially with English. My technique repertoire is quite limited to the simple ones. But what I've learnt is some basic techniques can apply to any and every quote you encounter if you can't find a specific quote. Although I'd use a primary technique that is specific to a quote then implement the secondary technique (the one you can apply to anything) to support the effect.

Some of these techniques that could match almost any quote I've found are:
- Tone
- Sentence structure
- Language choice/diction
- Atmosphere

This is just my personal opinion and I'm FAR from a perfect english student so take my advice with a grain of salt.
Hope this helps :)
Good luck goldpants!!!

RossoneriAU

HSC

I don't think that you should've been marked down for this either, but I know that many teachers favour students who embed their quotes into their sentences. For example: Lysander's soliloquy explores how "...", using the extended metaphor of ______ in uncloaking the raw nature of love through _______, and epitomising the underlying didactic nature of the text. Depending on what the quote is, the sentence could be changed to "Lysander's soliloquy criticises the need for "..." or something along those lines in ensuring that the sentence itself makes sense. (I haven't read the text so idk how to phrase it.)

When quoting the text, try not to say the word, "quote" or "line", cause teachers are really picky about it, and may lower your mark for bad fluency or writing skills. Like I've written, just try and make the sentence flow naturally into the quote before identifying the technique and explaining the effect of the technique on your analysis.

LoanWoolfq

HSC
I don't think that you should've been marked down for this either, but I know that many teachers favour students who embed their quotes into their sentences. For example: Lysander's soliloquy explores how "...", using the extended metaphor of ______ in uncloaking the raw nature of love through _______, and epitomising the underlying didactic nature of the text. Depending on what the quote is, the sentence could be changed to "Lysander's soliloquy criticises the need for "..." or something along those lines in ensuring that the sentence itself makes sense. (I haven't read the text so idk how to phrase it.)

When quoting the text, try not to say the word, "quote" or "line", cause teachers are really picky about it, and may lower your mark for bad fluency or writing skills. Like I've written, just try and make the sentence flow naturally into the quote before identifying the technique and explaining the effect of the technique on your analysis.
Awesome!
thanks a mill

LoanWoolfq

HSC
G'day goldpants

I've been in a similar situation, especially with English. My technique repertoire is quite limited to the simple ones. But what I've learnt is some basic techniques can apply to any and every quote you encounter if you can't find a specific quote. Although I'd use a primary technique that is specific to a quote then implement the secondary technique (the one you can apply to anything) to support the effect.

Some of these techniques that could match almost any quote I've found are:
- Tone
- Sentence structure
- Language choice/diction
- Atmosphere

This is just my personal opinion and I'm FAR from a perfect english student so take my advice with a grain of salt.
Hope this helps :)
Good luck goldpants!!!
thanks pants..
i was really looking how to phrase my analysis when incorporating my techniques and quotes that i know!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)