How to prepare for bad results? (1 Viewer)

sickchops

HSC
Hey, in 2 days time :uhoh::uhoh:i am certain i will get the news of a bad ATAR mark. :cry:

This isn't some frantic panic episode induced by stress (although.. it may seem likely in 2 days).

How do i prepare for a bad mark? Things like, how do i tell parents, family members, friends, teachers, associates etc. my mark.. how do i deal with not getting into university? How do i deal with the inevitable judgement that will be cast upon me with not fulfilling potential..? small things like that, which i am sure, will be difficult to handle.

Thanks if you can help!

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Whoever you're boning to get your ATAR a day early tell them to send mine as well

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
There is more than 1 route to where you want to get to and it's a bit pitiful you don't know that. Obviously you've come from a sheltered background otherwise you'd realise that the world is more realistic than that.

Your family and friends will not shun you because you didn't get >your< desired mark. If they do, then they aren't worth any effort and you shouldn't worry about keeping them happy since they don't care about you.

Criticisms aside, basically, where do you want to get to? How can you get there? Explore alternative means. You may not even have to go to university. Alternatively if you do need a degree, you can do a simple bachelor of arts/science and choose topics that are within the field you want to get into, do well at them, and transfer after a year or even earlier. If you wanted to do medicine, you could do medical science instead of an MBBS and enter a graduate degree. There are always separate ways to do things.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
A low ATAR is not the end of the world. If your trying to get into uni, there are many ways. You can do additional bridging courses, in field training, transfer in, come back as a mature age student. Don't let your marks dictate what you do in life.

As for telling those around you, don't make it a huge deal. If they're worth your time, it won't matter to them.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Regardless of your marks, try to be proud of what you did this year (if you actually tried and cared).

I plan on just telling anyone who is genuinely interested in my marks; except mum :)... She is more excited for me than I am, so I will hold her off for as long as I can!

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
There are different options, I for one applied for early entry at UNE as a fallback and got into Business Law so if my marks suck then it won't matter too much.
But yeah, lolsmith is right, go into a low entry requirement degree and switch across. Like biomed before switching to pharmacy, it's pretty easy. Settle the fuck down and realise you won't get your ATAR until after you get your marks.

mecramarathon

HSC
seriously the hsc let alone the atar isn't the be-end and end-all of everything

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
If you think someone will, laugh or get angry with your marks, tell them you got another mark.

These people shouldn't mean much to you, if they laugh or whatever, so lying to them won't matter.

Your marks, are YOUR marks. You earned them. They're directly proportional to your ability and the effort you poured into your HSC over the last year.

muhahahahahaha

HSC
lol what a weird video :) I think it's normal to be nervous about the mark that you are going to get unless of course you dont really care about getting into uni etc... I'm nervous too but i guess you just have to remind yourself how much hard work you put into year 12. You will get the mark that you truly have earned and deserve. As for telling family etc..LOL, I have the same issue. the only people that i am willing to tell are my parents. I dont want to tell aunts, uncles, cousins or anyone other than parents. I know how you feel, they'll probably make a big deal if you dont get 99.95....meh family

determine

Premium Member
HSC
If you think someone will, laugh or get angry with your marks, tell them you got another mark.

These people shouldn't mean much to you, if they laugh or whatever, so lying to them won't matter.

Your marks, are YOUR marks. You earned them. They're directly proportional to your ability and the effort you poured into your HSC over the last year.
that is true to a degree, but the power of scaling also distorts so that those who worked extremely hard doing lower scaling subjects, even if they do extremely well, still cannot match someone who does well in higher-scaling subjects atar-wise.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
What happens if I was getting better marks than other people when I wasn't doing anything and they studied heaps? Does that mean I'm awesome?

blackratpoo

HSC
that is true to a degree, but the power of scaling also distorts so that those who worked extremely hard doing lower scaling subjects, even if they do extremely well, still cannot match someone who does well in higher-scaling subjects atar-wise.
dude, if you get 90's in all your subjects (high scaling or low scaling) your gonna do well. people fret over the word 'scaling' when in reality it only affects people who get band 4's and less.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
dude, if you get 90's in all your subjects (high scaling or low scaling) your gonna do well. people fret over the word 'scaling' when in reality it only affects people who get band 4's and less.
also band 5, if you do a shit scaling subject only option is band 6.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)