How to score full marks for performance/composition? (1 Viewer)

studytin

HSC
How to score full marks for performance/composition? I've been always scoring 9/10 for Music 1 performances and compositions but never able to score the full 100 percent

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
The Arts & Humanities subjects are more subjective than maths & science, so I suspect much more difficult to achieve a perfect score. My son is also taking Music composition/performance for HSC next year, in the full knowledge that he might not score as well as his other subjects, but this is what he enjoys most doing.

Do you have a music teacher outside school you could ask?

Have you entered eistedfodds? The judges would usually provide some written feedback. The Sydney eisteddfod still has some categories which are open (https://sydneyeisteddfod.com.au/events/category/piano). You didn’t state which instrument you play, so I’ve linked to the piano entries. In the other instrumental solo sections, only classical guitar is still open. Otherwise, smaller eisteddfods may provide additional opportunities for performance feedback.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I was looking at an article on Art of Smart and they seem to suggest some pretty good tips for scoring full marks. Here's a summary of what they suggest:

Before the exam:

- Confidence over complexity: you should pick a piece that you're confident and comfortable with. A complicated piece does not mean a better performance or higher mark in the HSC.

- Starting early: If you haven't already, you should start building your répertoire and make a list of possible performances and then making a final decision of what your performance will be.

- Think about accompaniment: While this is largely dependent on your instrument and topics you're studying, it is important to consider what accompaniment you need to organise prior to your exam. For example, the author of this article was performing as a vocalist and needed to organise accompaniment for all 4 of her pieces, which involved 10 people learning her pieces, rehearsing and practising at home prior to her HSC Performance Exam.

- Practice under exam conditions: In HSC Music, it is important not just to practice but to also practice in conditions as close to the HSC exam as possible. This implies rehearsing in the actual space you will be performing in (if possible) and precisely adhere to the time limits for your performance piece.

On the day of the exam:

- Sound check: It is very important to sound check before your performance. If you don't check to ensure those on stage as well as your examiners can hear your performance, your performance is likely not to go well (the article goes into detail about what specifically needs to be checked). Doing a proper sound check ensures that you will be able to perform to the best of your abilities when the time comes.

- Warming up: Warming up is important no matter what instrument you play. Taking time to warm up before your performance gives you time to focus on your instrument and your music. In addition to exceptional musicianship, a perfect performance requires a real appreciation of your instrument and the pieces that you are playing. Also, don't push your voice on the day of your performance. Instead, gentle warm ups like humming should be done.

- Finally, show off your hard work: Remember your incredible work and determined efforts leading up to where you are now. Those will surely pay off onstage.

Here's the link to the full article for more info: https://artofsmart.com.au/hsc-music-performance-exam-advice/

I hope this helps, all the best with your performance! 😄

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)