HSC 2004: which school will top? (1 Viewer)

L45er

Booyakasha
HSC
Yeah, James Ruse will top for sure. But who really cares? How many of the kids at that school would graduate with a life? I find studying 24/7 and being forced to do so to be really annoying, and hence the reason i also enjoy having a life, partying, working etc.

rebooki

HSC
N/A
Clearly it will be a selective school considering the amount of funding they get from the government... sorry public schools don't have their own Harvard-style libraries...

HSC
N/A
cranberries said:
whats so good bout baulkam hills? is it selective?

and its definately gonna be ruse! no question! i don't wanna pump up their egos but...the statistics speak for themselves :(
Yeah Balko's selective. They're good, around the same par as us (HGHS) but I wouldn't go as far to say that they're so-brilliant-they'll-top-the-state-hands-down.

My bet's on Ruse, like usual. If a selective does come 2nd (let's face it, normally 8 out of the top 10 schools are selective) then my bet's on North Sydney Girls. If not them, maybe Fort Street, if not them, meh, I dunno.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
dont need to reckon, without a doubt.

say in 10 years if we see a major rival/threat to JRAHS then we can presume.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Skeeta said:
ok maybe i am totally naive but i thort that they couldnt publish school rankings etc. after that whole incident with that article in the newspaper about the whole grade that failed..

and how do you find out where the school is ranked.. or was ranked??

"im just totally clueless"
thats the high achievers list. i think its published on the saturday after the results have been revealed

myg0t

myg0t
HSC
theone123 said:
Outstanding students’ achievements (UAI 100)• Monique Cheung, Jason Chung, Yewon Chung, James Lee,

Monique Li, Vincent Mok, Shanthi Widana Pathirana
Hmm what did ever happen to that white australia policy?

lala2

Banned
HSC
In terms of Distinguished Mentions (90%+)and All Round Achievers List (at least 10 units with 90%+), James Ruse will win flat out. In terms of topping subjects, Pymble or Sydney Grammar are good, though Sydney Girls last year was exceptional. in terms of being in the top 10 or 20, dunno...

For the top 10 schools, probably Pymble, Sydney Grammar and Barker will be the only private schools there...rest all selective, all the great names, JR, Baulko, North Sydney Girls/Boys, Sydney Girls/Boys, Hornsby...*still speculating*

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
rebooki said:
Clearly it will be a selective school considering the amount of funding they get from the government... sorry public schools don't have their own Harvard-style libraries...
selective schools are public schools

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Selective schools get next to no funding from the government. My school is a pisspoor mess and it's selective.

That said, I think Smith's Hill High School (Selective), Wollongong is going to surprise everyone this year.

(And by that I mean be the worst performing selective school in the state)

shazzam

acta est fabula
HSC
*Cough* as if NSG isn't better than Bulko every year

HSC
N/A
Isn't there like, a really really smart girl's private school that came 2nd once? I think it started with an 'M'... can't remember name...

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I wish I could say Girraween were climbing the ranks, but since I finished the HSC in 2002, the standard has been dropping in teaching quality (all the good teachers started accepting promotions to other schools as soon as the current principal took control in 2000). But the students are dedicated to learn, with or without the facilities that Kings School has.

The biggest strength, in my opinion, that Girraween has over the supposedly better selective schools is that while James Ruse and Baulkham Hills promote competition Against each other for the best marks, Girraween provided a balance between academic excellence, and loyalty to one's classmates. While at James Ruse, coming first is all that is important, at Girraween we always managed to have fun with each other and with our teachers.

http://www.girra.quest3000.net/sportsreport/soccer2001.htm

The function of our schools is not just to prepare students for the HSC, but to develop our youth into well-rounded individuals. I believe in this respect, Girraween students are kinder, more sociable and all-round better people than students of so-called smarter schools.

from August 2002:

Girraween Truly Superior to the INFERIOR James Ruse

GIRRAWEEN HS 36 | 8 JAMES RUSE AHS

The myth that J\ames Ruse is a better school than Girraween was disproved today when the Girraween Boys Netball Team defeated the Ruse team in a conclusive grudge match, with Girraween trying to even the score against the Ruse team who defeated Girra with a one point lead in Extra Time in last year's matchup. Our excellent Year 12 team took time out of their trials to play this game, and managed to not only even the score - but smack down the Ruse team, in the process proving our inherent superiority.

Girraween's victory was the result of much training, and much better team work. While the JR students were playing competitively against Girraween - they were playing competitively against each other, trying to prove they were the best in the team. Our team had no such problems, working together in order to score goal after goal in this exciting match. It is this reporter's opinion that this is the result of the competitive nature at James Ruse, where students do not work together - but work against each other, trying to undermine each other in order to come out on top - a mentality foreign to the close-knit students of Girraween High.
So maybe it doesn't really matter how well our schools do in the HSC. Maybe we should be looking at what type of people they come out as.

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
Phanatical said:
So maybe it doesn't really matter how well our schools do in the HSC. Maybe we should be looking at what type of people they come out as.
That is poetry!!

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
It'll be Ruse again for sure guys. I can't believe you are even asking this question....

k_i_mm_i

HSC
I think it's gonna be Woop woop high - better watch out for those country bumpkins..they're pretty smart I heard and their UAI gets bumped up a few points for being "disadvantaged"

ez_19

Musikerin
HSC
myg0t said:
Anyone going to answer my question?
its a good question. anyone reading the top achievers lists, without knowing what country it was, would assume we were somewhere in asia.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)