HSC Appeals (1 Viewer)

wogboy23

HSC
Hi all,
I was wondering when we get our HSC results next Wednesday, the various grounds on which we can appeal. My internal marks are all 95+ and I have many of my exams may be considerably lower due to poor handwriting and thus lower marks that would otherwise be retrieved if read thoroughly...and with a bit of time I assume. I was wondering if I do feel as though I've gotten a lower mark than I should have for some of these, do I have strong grounds to appeal? Could I emerge successful?

Many of told me before recording your final HSC mark and going through the scaling/aligning processes, they compare your external (hsc mark) with your internal score for each subjects to see if the correlations remain similar. Could this save me?
Thoughts?

Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Sorry but Illness and misadventure appeals closed weeks ago.

There is no longer any possibility of appeal.

If you wanted special provisions for handwriting you should have applied back in Term 1 which was when applications closed. (You would have gotten a scribe or permission to do the exam on a computer)

The only way marks can change now is through a clerical recheck of your marks. This essentially is a check that all the marks were entered into the system correctly, it is NOT a remark or special consideration. They won't look at your exam again. You apply on Students Online and it costs money for each subject checked.

Many of told me before recording your final HSC mark and going through the scaling/aligning processes, they compare your external (hsc mark) with your internal score for each subjects to see if the correlations remain similar. Could this save me?
Thoughts?
No. Exclusion from the moderation process is designed to save the rest of your cohort from your anomalous result. All students always receive their own mark in the external exam.

Last edited:

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Hi all,
I was wondering when we get our HSC results next Wednesday, the various grounds on which we can appeal. My internal marks are all 95+ and I have many of my exams may be considerably lower due to poor handwriting and thus lower marks that would otherwise be retrieved if read thoroughly...and with a bit of time I assume. I was wondering if I do feel as though I've gotten a lower mark than I should have for some of these, do I have strong grounds to appeal? Could I emerge successful?

Thoughts?
Ask for a review of marks but as "Dittoo" said it will cost money per test paper and you're not guaranteed that those marks will be changed. As said in your previous thread, I know many people with unbearable handwriting - and they are not as neat as yours and still manage to get ATARs over 95.00 and did not panic that their handwritings have effected the accumulation of marks both in school and HSC examinations.

1981Grant

HSC
Way too late to be complaining.

As soon as my friend started the HSC course he was talking to our school principal, counsellor and senior deputy. He had to get signed notes and certificates from the counsellor, a handwriting counsellor (apparently they exist) and the principal to be viable for his dispensation. You are way too late.

enoilgam

HSC
Hi all,

Thoughts?
Just be aware that just because your raw internal marks are over 95, this may not be the case for your final internal marks due to moderation. Also, your writing would have to be pretty attrocious for them to be unable to read it.

Last edited:

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
You can get it remarked (can't remember what it's called exactly), but it has some sort of fee per exam, and your marks can go up OR down and you can't do anything about it. You can't go to them and say my writing is bad I'll come and read it for you, or I'll explain this section for you, all you can do is say I want it remarked and they'll do it (think it's a clerical re-check or something).

What you get then is what you keep.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
You can get it remarked (can't remember what it's called exactly), but it has some sort of fee per exam, and your marks can go up OR down and you can't do anything about it. You can't go to them and say my writing is bad I'll come and read it for you, or I'll explain this section for you, all you can do is say I want it remarked and they'll do it (think it's a clerical re-check or something).

What you get then is what you keep.
It's not a remark and marks can only go up.

HSC results check service
If a student feels that an examination mark is not consistent with their expectation, the HSC Results Check service is available for a small fee per course. This service is an opportunity to confirm that the student’s examination marks were processed correctly. It does not involve a re-mark of examination responses. The HSC Results Check service verifies:

- the marker’s intention for each mark awarded, as recorded on the original source document, has been accurately captured on the Board’s system
- where any question is recorded as a non-attempt, the student has not made an attempt at the question
- for responses marked digitally onscreen, the student's whole response has been accurately scanned and indexed to the correct student/course/question
- the objective responses on the system match the student’s intentions as recorded on their multiple choice answer sheet
- any other variations such as a student attempting incorrect combinations of question options.
Availability:
15 December 2011 — 27 April 2012
Cost:
$29 for English (Standard) and English (Advanced) and $15 per course for all others courses
How to order:
Order via Students Online from 15 December

Last edited:

wogboy23

HSC
Just be aware that just because your raw internal marks are over 95, this may not be the case for your final internal marks due to moderation. Also, your writing would have to be pretty attrocious for them to be unable to read it.
28112011017.jpg
my writing - at its worst

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
But yes, nothing can be done in regards to handwriting now. Far too late.

enoilgam

HSC
View attachment 23821
my writing - at its worst
If that is your worst, then your handwriting mustnt be that bad. In fact, what you have shown us is probably a bit below average when compared to the rest of the state (I know plenty of people who write way worst). You shouldnt have anything to worry about.

wogboy23

HSC
If that is your worst, then your handwriting mustnt be that bad. In fact, what you have shown us is probably a bit below average when compared to the rest of the state (I know plenty of people who write way worst). You shouldnt have anything to worry about.
thanks for the reassurance :) do you think this will be read properly by markers?
It's just many of my teachers throughout the year have made note about my handwriting and I even had to read some of my trials to the respective markers. Others however say they have seen far worse.
Yep, that attachment was pretty much my handwriting at its worst.

enoilgam

HSC
thanks for the reassurance :) do you think this will be read properly by markers?
It's just many of my teachers throughout the year have made note about my handwriting and I even had to read some of my trials to the respective markers. Others however say they have seen far worse.
Yep, that attachment was pretty much my handwriting at its worst.
One of my mates had a running writing style where the first letter of each word was visable, followed by a line of scribble - and his handwriting didnt seem to effect his marks. Also, when humans read, they dont recognise each word based on all the individual letters it contains, they recognise it more from the basic shape of the word. For instance, most people would be able to interpret this sentence "The tchrs lssn was vry intrstng" as being "The teachers lesson was very interesting"

D94

HSC
N/A
Hi all,
Quote from the Students Online BOS site:
My handwriting is really messy. Can I get disability provisions?
Generally, no. Markers are used to reading a wide range of handwriting styles. There are a small number of cases where students have difficulty with their fine motor skills, such as dysgraphia, which makes their handwriting illegible. The usual provision for this condition is the granting of a writer, typically a Year 11 student. As with all disability provisions, the Board would need to see strong evidence of the condition and may ask for additional writing samples.
It would be too late anyway.

Thoughts?
No. Your raw internal marks do not determine if you have been fairly marked. The only reliable source of information which the Board can use to determine your mark is through the HSC because there can be no discrepancies in the level of difficulty. Your school may set easy assessments, hence why you have a 95% raw internal mark, but that means nothing until you sit the HSC.

broncos123

HSC
N/A
Sorry but Illness and misadventure appeals closed weeks ago.

There is no longer any possibility of appeal.

If you wanted special provisions for handwriting you should have applied back in Term 1 which was when applications closed. (You would have gotten a scribe or permission to do the exam on a computer)

The only way marks can change now is through a clerical recheck of your marks. This essentially is a check that all the marks were entered into the system correctly, it is NOT a remark or special consideration. They won't look at your exam again. You apply on Students Online and it costs money for each subject checked.

No. Exclusion from the moderation process is designed to save the rest of your cohort from your anomalous result. All students always receive their own mark in the external exam.
The special provisions for handwriting. How do I do this? I don't think it's an actual ground for special provisions.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If you have a medical condition that is the cause of the bad handwriting - and that condition has to be verified not just a doctor's certificate - then you can apply for a scribe - not always granted by the way.

wogboy23

HSC
If you have a medical condition that is the cause of the bad handwriting - and that condition has to be verified not just a doctor's certificate - then you can apply for a scribe - not always granted by the way.
post #8 in this forum, cem. Do you think HSC markers would mark that kind of writing thoroughly and properly? Have you seen worse?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Markers will always mark thoroughly and properly what they can mark. To suggest otherwise is actually to doubt the professionalism of the markers and one thing that is stressed time and again to markers is to give every script proper, thorough and professional attention.

I have seen worse but that is a very bad photograph at an angle which makes it hard to read.

Beeck

HSC
With handwritimg like that you could be a doctor lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)