HSC Art, enjoying it or regretting it??? (1 Viewer)

bobs_ur_granma

HSC
Let yourself complain, I just need a punching bag, Im annoyed because my teacher is an imbecile and Im having trouble deciding what to do as my body or work. Everyday I enter my art room wondering what everyone else is doing there, they're all very non-artistic and are there to bludge.
Its disapointing because I have no one to talk to at my school about my work, THE ART DEPARTMENT SUCKS!!!

On a happier note I'll always have this site, YAY!

Syria

HSC
hey...dont worry!!! u will think of somthing for ur major work, it will come to u..... why not choose a really really simple object and just explore it, take it lots of different ways, different meanings fromt he one object etc, for example a simple object like...the tongue...bitter, sour, sweet, the taste buds, the tongue is used for communication, piercings, explore all the different possibilities... simple things always turn out the best.... goodluck and dont stress.....just forget about ur class and concentrate on ur own thing....its a bit hard wen ur teacher doesnt help but hey u can only try.

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
i found art to be the most stressful but also most relaxing subject. i found theory easy enuf so that wasnt so much pressure. u will hav times when u r enjoyin it, when u figure out wat ur gonna do u get stoked and totally jump into it so excited. when stuff goes wrong u get so upset, when mine broke i cried and my teacher just didnt get it. he tried so hard 2 help us but havin a class of 6 stressed out girls and one boy who sed nothing the whole yr must hav been hard for him.

when u finish ur artwork tho, u feel so relieved. its all worth it in the end. put ur whole heart into it and even if it turns out diff 2 wat u expected i promise u will b stoked u stuck it thru.

mine went up at MAD night for marking still dripping with PVA glue cos we changed it at recess that day. the stress certainly doesnt end when u figure out wat u wanna do... and i had kids like those in ur class, and one of them ended up gettin 49/50 for her work (that was wat skool gave her, i dunno external marks) and that gets frustrating too....

but seriously, stick at it, work hard, play hard and u will b fine. pick somethin u love n work on that.

its all worth it in the end

goodluck!

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I've finished year 12 but the one thing I wanna do if I come back to highschool is slap my art teacher.

He gave me straight fucking A's. I always begged him for criticism on my majorwork and he always complimented me and told me it's fine, and to keep going. Then he suddenly lost faith in my artwork and told me it wouldn't get past 75, so he gave me a 71 for an assignment that had a HUGE GIGANTIC WEIGHTING on my school assessment.

WELL FUCK YOU. My school assessment dragged to an 83, plucked from being 4th in ranking down to 9th (and although this may be good to others, imagining that crushing feeling when you realise its all your teacher's fault because you ASKED FOR CRITICISM ALL YEAR and only at the very last minute did he LOSE FAITH IN IT. It's like he did it on purpose to SPITE ME)

and in the end I got 91 as my exam mark, meaning my majorwork couldn't have possibly been under 75, dragging my whole HSC Visual Arts mark down from a band 6 to an 87, band 5.

Again, I'm not saying that's a bad mark, and it all seemed to turn out okay, cuz I did much better than he thought, but the frustration and the pure collapsing horror that went through me the day he marked my majorwork was the most shocking, traumatic thing ever.

Lesson is, my friends, get a second opinion. Your teacher might be like the bastard I had.

And so ends my off-tangent rant.

cuivienen

HSC
I also did Visual Arts last year, and ended the course with an overall mark of 97, which I'm extremely proud of. Now to tell you the truth (and this might be a bit risky), I didn't really ask or recieve a lot of feedback from my teacher. I just did my own thing...Working quietly, whilst other students observed and passed undesired judgement. The only type of criticism was my own, and the artistic inspiration of this Francis Bacon painting.

However, I actually decided on the concept for my year 12 major work at the end of year 11. I was quite focused on Art. Year 12 was just about developing the concept and executing the work as best as I could. I'd be more than happy to help you out any time you like, since I can sincerely relate to your current situation.

marchetta

shut up and do me
HSC
My art teacher was so shit. She never taught us anything. I swear her qualification was made from a cardboard box! She was so lazy that she used the 2002 Visual Arts HSC paper for the half yearly and basically the only theory notes she gave us for the whole entire HSC were just the Visual Arts marking centre notes from the board of studies website. She didn’t even allow us to borrow any art textbooks to study from, so I just had to sneak one into my bag to keep. We were forced to do practical for the whole entire year, and when you tried to do theory in class she would totally tell you off! She was such a bitch! And you know how your teachers can’t physically help out with your art? Well, my teacher did that and she ruined a lot of people’s work! A girl in my class was angry when my teacher put stokes of pink on a work based on her South American heritage! When I told her not to touch my work, she would try to paint it behind my back, which I confronted her about! Luckily, it was easy to fix up. So for the whole year for
theory, I went to the Visual Art HSC lectures at Sydney Uni and relied very much on my Excel visual arts guide. I actually ended up with a mark of 89 and got a present from the art department for coming second in my class. I’m quite happy with my mark, even though I could’ve done a lot better. Anyway, I don’t think art is that bad as long as you have a passion for artistic expression. Oh, and a teacher better than mine.

soso

HSC
N/A
God, someone should ring the board of studies and dob the teacher in. How this all started was when 2 art teachers had a fierce argument and one as an act of spite contacted the BOS and complained. BOS visited the school and found it to be true. Now no-one is supposed to touch a student work. My art teachers like it as there is less for them to do. But they would give you lots of advice. She gets 3 works in art express every year

Insouciance

HSC
I have a moronic art teacher too. There seem to be a lot of really terrible teachers. Mine pretty much accused me of cheating all because I did graphic design for one of my Yr 11 works and she didn't understand how I got from A to B. Ugh. Even though the other art teacher - who was computer literate - signed my book and I hade it all recorded in my process diary.

But yeah, now I've got an idea, it's awesome. I can't wait to get started - tomorrow!

sumthin.simple

HSC
argh!

hey... i need a punchin bag rite now 2. i always luved art but this last yr the theory is makin me not enjoy it so much. 4 sum reason im really just not into it even though i luv art. we've started case studies on gender and art and i hav this big booklet due tomorra nd cos i just wasnt interested i left it to the last minute. not smart at all! so i think im gunna hav a late nite. but lesson learnt...
but im kinda happy cos ive finally decided wat im doing 4 my major but im still not sure how im gunna get there...
has everyone already got really stuck into theirs? im still working on ideas

sleepy_tania

HSC
im so worried..

Ive totally freaked out the last couple of weeks....

I do really well in the theory side of art (cos im the only one in my class who knows how to write an essay without the teachers help *rolls eyes*) and i can come up with great IDEAS for the subject matter for my work... but when it comes to the pratical side i just dont no where to start! Everyone else has trouble with what their actually trying to SAY through their work but they can get started so easily on their works!!! HOW!?

It doesnt help when 3 months ago my teacher told me it isnt a good idea to do film for my work, then last week she sed maybe i shud do a video!....thats 3 months WASTED!!!

So i just freaked out and quit art all together!!! My teacher was really dissapointed and i sorta am at my decision too, considering i want to get into a creative arts course at UNI! God knows what im going to do now! :(

Im so scared... I could have gotten a really good mark in art and i just hope i havent screwed up my future... does n e 1 no if u actually need visual art to get into a graphic design and new media course in UNI??? I looked it up and it sed nuttin bout needing art... but the careers advisor looked and it sed i need 2 units of visual art or equivilant!! :-s

HELP!

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I changed my whole concept at the start of the very last term left. What happened was I developed some old films on one random day, and worked on that, dumping all the work i previously used.

I wasted 3 terms, deary.

But i got 91 in the end.....

you feeling better now?

It can still be okay

eetak

dodgy art teachers

I too have a crappy art teacher.
It's not that he's evil. Just terribly annoying, and awfully stupid.
He keeps coming up with these 'ideas' for me and trying to talk to me about my artwork and lead me in this heaps crappy direction that i dont want to go. It's his first yr teaching a yr 12 class.
He doesnt know anything about the theory side of things. He's so stupid, no kidding. We're supposed to be studying feminism in art. he spent a whole lesson trying to explain what feminism was to us because he didnt know (just everyone else in the class did) and we kept trying to tell him we knew, but every time we did he said that wasnt right.
One guy in my class said 'i'm a feminist' just as a joke. The the teacher went on about how men couldnt be feminists (what a load of junk) and that they could only believe in the ideals and values of feminism(although he took allot longer to say it, with much fewer large words)
If a man believes in feminist values and ideals he is a feminist. It doesnt mean he is a female, IDIOT!

sorry really needed to vent.
The man is creepy too. he stands over you and watches you work. and he skips over figure drawings if they're nude, too. I have allot of stuff like that cuz i draw all mermaids and centaurs and still life drawings, so allot of the time i cant be bothered putting tops on the women, or want to draw the shadows on the skin and he ignores those drawings and turns the page as quickly as possible
He's a 30 something yr old man who still lives with his mum and coordinates his socks to match the colour of his shirts.

He's seriously maddening.
I'm good at theory- but i dont know if i've got the patience or willpower to stay in that class for very much longer.

the teacher is just not competant

soso

HSC
N/A
Sounds like the teacher could be a body of work

pirotess4

HSC
N/A
same!

sumthin.simple said:
hey... i need a punchin bag rite now 2. i always luved art but this last yr the theory is makin me not enjoy it so much. 4 sum reason im really just not into it even though i luv art. we've started case studies on gender and art and i hav this big booklet due tomorra nd cos i just wasnt interested i left it to the last minute. not smart at all! so i think im gunna hav a late nite. but lesson learnt...
but im kinda happy cos ive finally decided wat im doing 4 my major but im still not sure how im gunna get there...
has everyone already got really stuck into theirs? im still working on ideas

I actually like the theory side of art, learning about the different kinds of art and things like that. But i have the same problem as you. My art teacher is really shitty at me because everyone else has already started their major work (they're all doing paintings and sculptures) and I'm doing a wearable artwork. Since i have 12 units and 4 other major works I've really slacked off when it's come down to art and our progress mark is due 2morrow and my art process diary is practically empty! I haven't even started looking at materials for my wearable art! I am SO screwed!! I'm still developing my ideas like you, it's nice to know i'm not the only one that hasn't started yet!!

mossup

can you do the mossup?
cloud eight & nine tenths. Yes its frustrating
HSC
*cries* i don't wanna do no more theory!!!! :'( i am regretting taking art...my teacher is dishing the theory out like its mashed potato! mind u i'm gettin like 14 out of 15 for it but i have done NO work on my major work! i'm stressing to the max about it too! .....darn tootin.

lunatique56

bobs_ur_granma said:
Let yourself complain, I just need a punching bag, Im annoyed because my teacher is an imbecile and Im having trouble deciding what to do as my body or work. Everyday I enter my art room wondering what everyone else is doing there, they're all very non-artistic and are there to bludge.
Its disapointing because I have no one to talk to at my school about my work, THE ART DEPARTMENT SUCKS!!!

On a happier note I'll always have this site, YAY!
Compared to my other subjs, I'm finding art less strenuous. That's not to say I ENJOY the theory stuff (doing bad actually) and all that...but I'm finding it's nice sometimes to take a break from those other brain straining subjects to channel my artistic efforts into my BOW.

yep! we have those type of students in our class. they're just there to merely fill up their HSC units, thinking its those bludgey subjects. -____-"

imhere4themusic

flied lice
HSC
I find art at my school extremely relaxing. The art theory isn't that hard our teacher usually just hands us a bunch of notes and then we watch a video. There's two art classes at my school and the teacher of the other one is a bitch so I think i got the good end of the stick in that situation. Theres lots of time when you think about it, it's not a major commitment I think. It's only hsc level. Even if they do expect a level of sophistication thats not so hard.

Pierotte

HSC
Sigh... teachers

Just a word of warning, never EVER EEEVVVEEERRR listen solely to your teahcer unless they have accually been a HSC marker for art. All this talk about if ur good at english you will be good at art theory is bullshit!! I am currently topping my grade in english but i failed my last art assignment, why you may ask? Because they are two COMPLETELY different styles of essay writing. In art you will have a better chance of getting a band 6 if you do an essay solely in dot points that constantly refers to the syllabus rather than doing a brilliant highly stylised essay that doesnt directly keep adressing the question word for word. It may be an excellent essay in english as it is creative and antyhnig but blunt, but in art you must be blunt so that they (the markers) know that you know that you know what you are talking about. All that links everyone in the state is the syllabus, so that has to be the core of your essay and you have to keep refering to it directly, word for word, no synnonyms or fancy language, consider the markers as dumb morons that need to be spoken to like they are a 10 year olds. Im not sure if this makes sence but i would just like to warn people as sadly i had to find out the hard way by failing then having to argue my marks.... all this info comes from two teachers who have marked the HSC numerous times, any questions? just ask.
Ciao

cate_7x

HSC
I am regretting it. We have gone through three teachers and the one we have now is a biased marker.

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
I'm lovin' it.
Cos i've dropped art yesssssss =D
But yes art is stressful and I used to get stright A's from year 9 too. But somehow I have a feeling that I'd get bombed down by either the markers at school or the hsc markers outside.
The teacher is great, but I just don't want to take risks for art as I would be shattered if I see my art mark gets below 90 -___-!

Say, you like abstruct stuff and you get a okay mark (make it..82?) then you submit your artwork and unluckily the markers that are gonna mark your pure abstruct art like realistic art more.
What can you do? And they don't have your VAPD with them?

ur_inner_child I think you should post up your artwork, I wanna see the reason why your teacher lost faith in you. =/

@lunatique56: you got ur NAS mark yet?!?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)