hsc coming up...>< (1 Viewer)

*banaz*

HSC
hey to everyone!

its been ages since i last posted but I thought i should wish all the 2005 latin people good luck in our hsc exam! How is everyone's preparation going? I myself am a bit tired of the hsc atm but i can't wait till its over! I was looking back at all my translations and its remarkable at how much we actually have to learn! Well in my opinion anyway!

ok, well have fun studying cicero and virgil! Although i really like virgil a lot better, wot about you guys? Lets post about how we thought the exam went after ok? This forum is rarely posted in anymore, so we have to keep it going! Maybe inspire some of the 2006'ers while we're at it ;)

HSC
hehe I like your enthusiasm

While we're at it, anyone care to take a guess which part of the prescriptions will be up for a translation/comment?
For mine
Virigl: Translation: Cerberus+Punishments for people who lie on money and don't share it round
Comment: Dido+Deiphobus+Meeting Aeneas' dad

Cicero: Translation: "Luperci"+"Didn't you hear that even your great-great-great-great-great-really-friggin-great grandfather was consul?"
Comment: "He's broken doors they'll be fixed"+"I'm not talking about you, but if a woman was a whore..."+"Clodius, the most witty of his generation"

*banaz*

HSC
I have no idea about translations, but I agree about the meeting aeneas' dad section for commentary and maybe something about Elysium and Tartarus?

For Cicero, again no clue about translations but seeing as there's so much to say about Clodia being a "mulier" I think that bit, and maybe something about how nature and how young men will eventually turn their back on lust and disgrace and focus on public service? Coz that links in really well with our topic areas, like roman values and traditions.

What do you think they'd ask about Clodius, being the most witty of his generation? I've never come across a question specifically about him nor do i get what topic area that might come under! :(

christoph

Dumb Blonde
HSC
Clodius represents the new young generation which also damns Clodia and her ways I think...

Hey I was wondering if you guys all got extra resources about things such as heroism and roman values and traditions or are you just going off the commentary in our prescribed texts?

*banaz*

HSC
I do latin at the open high school so i don't have a teacher i see at all, but he mainly told us to use the commentary from the latin texts, like williams etc but we haven't actually been given notes specifically relating to these topic areas. Maybe other schools have though!

bubblz_angel

HSC
N/A
bonjouR~ latin dudes and dudettes!!!

good luck in ur examsssss esp to mai dear pal banazz
u better watch out for her.... ;)

hmm as for extra notes... our teacher gave as sheets from various textbooks (which i have not yet read) but they all basically give the same points.. so its all good!

vale!

Last edited:

Jermir Caesar

HSC
N/A
christoph said:
Clodius represents the new young generation which also damns Clodia and her ways I think...
Tarde Flave, you know very well that the new generation can't damn Clodia because of her infamous ways. Why else would Cicero bring up the past examples of Quintia Clodia? He only applies the new generation laws to Caelius, of course, because if he did so with Clodia, an argument could easily be constructed to say that she was only following the times, and licentious pruriency was the 'in' thing for the feminae of the aevum.

And banaz, how do you learn commentary without extra notes and teachers? Everything I know on commentary came from my teacher! There's just not enough info in Williams and Austin.

*banaz*

HSC
i dunno how i do it i guess! If you read the core texts extensively and use your own general knowledge its fine. Like i said, i dont have a teacher so i have to make do with what i have

christoph

Dumb Blonde
HSC
Jermir Caesar said:
Tarde Flave, you know very well that the new generation can't damn Clodia because of her infamous ways.
Tarde Jermire. I must inform you this is not my personal opinion but in fact the sapientia Magni Salsi. Take the matter up with him.

Last edited:

Jermir Caesar

HSC
N/A
Hahahaha

Quidem! Ignosce mihi Flave, semper novi te primum et dextrum fuisse. noli te vexare, me vicisti.

vincit, qui Jermirum vincit. [Assuming 'se' is accusative, not ablative]

etiam, your name is "Dumb Blonde" = 'Tardus Flavus'
mine is "Jermir Caesar" = 'Jermirus Caesar'

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)