HSC Exam Marks + School Assessment Marks? (1 Viewer)

smarties07

HSC
Does anyone know how the ATAR is calculated by using the exam marks + school marks? Would school marks push up or pull down an ATAR?

MVP_MVP

HSC
Exam mark = your mark in the exam
School mark = the mark the (your school rank)ed person in your cohort got in the exam. eg I came second in school assessments, therefore I would receive the second highest HSC mark in my cohort as my assessment mark
HSC mark = average of the two
the HSC mark is the one that matters.

smarties07

HSC
Oh ok, thank you! :) So basically what happens with my school assignment/exam marks (not the HSC exam marks)?

MVP_MVP

HSC
The actual exam contributes 50% to your final HSC scaled mark.
The school mark contributes 50% to your final HSC scaled mark.
Your final HSC scaled mark is used to calculate your ATAR.

Phillip Tran

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Guys is the examination mark the actual HSC examination mark or is it the scaled HSC examination mark?

smarties07

HSC
Oh ok, and so that's the "hsc mark" that was given to us today?

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
Please keep in mind that the Board of Studies and UAC are separate entities, in which case the BoS will scale your marks in one way and UAC will do it in another and although there are atar calculator out there it will vary because each years mark distribution will also change, so sometimes your atar predicted vs atar obtained is spot on and sometimes there may be 2 or more difference either way.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
School mark = the mark the (your school rank)ed person in your cohort got in the exam. eg I came second in school assessments, therefore I would receive the second highest HSC mark in my cohort as my assessment mark
Not necessarily - you receive a mark that reflects your 2nd place in the school assessment programme e.g. if you were 1 mark behind first you would receive a different assessment mark compared to the one you would get if you were still 2nd but 10 marks behind first. That gap is very important.

So if the 2nd exam mark was 5 marks behind the 1st exam mark it wouldn't accurately reflect the gap you had at school for either the student 1 mark or 10 marks behind 1st. The BOS moderates the marks to reflect the gaps so the person coming 2nd by 1 mark will still get a moderated mark about 1 mark behind 1st not 5 marks behind to be fair.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)