HSC kiddes (1 Viewer)

^___^
HSC
Here is a problem for you:

On a day with absolutely calm wind, a plane is standing on a runway that can move (some sort of band conveyor). The plane moves in one direction, while the conveyor moves in the opposite direction. The conveyor has a control system that tracks the plane speed and tunes the speed of the conveyor to be exactly the same (but in the opposite direction). Can the airplane ever take off?

references can be made from:
http://community.boredofstudies.org/3/non-school/114376/hey-guys-bit-problem-here.html#post2422546

eX-Bhai

HSC
Hm, I'd say yes, not only because fighter jets dont require a run up, but although the plane will remain stationary, there is something which would let it fly - i just don't know what that something is as yet =P haha

Tuna

HSC
N/A
... said:
Here is a problem for you:

On a day with absolutely calm wind, a plane is standing on a runway that can move (some sort of band conveyor). The plane moves in one direction, while the conveyor moves in the opposite direction. The conveyor has a control system that tracks the plane speed and tunes the speed of the conveyor to be exactly the same (but in the opposite direction). Can the airplane ever take off?

references can be made from:
http://community.boredofstudies.org/3/non-school/114376/hey-guys-bit-problem-here.html#post2422546
If you walk forward, the Earth moves backward.

Halfasian89

The Elite
HSC
I had a thought:

For a plane to take flight, wouldn't the aircraft have to move relative to the air at a critical velocity to a point so that the plane's wings undergo the Bernoulli effect? As far as I'm aware, this is required for the plane to take lift.

I think that may answer the question :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)