HSC markers kept like pigs in a pen (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...ke-pigs-in-a-pen/story-e6freuzi-1226196065714

HSC markers are being forced to work amid the stench of animal waste after being housed in the pig pavilion at Sydney Olympic Park.

Adding to the stench are soaring temperatures, with no air conditioning and only fans to keep things cool.

Markers inside the Paddington Pavilion, which houses pigs and goats at the Royal Easter Show, are paid more than $75 an hour to work on student papers in history, economics and religion.

Some said the money wasn't enough to compensate for the conditions.[...]

X

xeuyrawp

On the one hand, this seems like such a non-story (I would mark papers naked, in an actual pigsty at 40 degree heat for $75/hour...), yet on the other hand, it seems worrying given that markers really need to be refreshed, on the ball and in a good mood to do an acceptable job.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
(I would mark papers naked, in an actual pigsty at 40 degree heat for $75/hour...)
Heck, I think they might through in some pigs to keep you company :D

But seriously, I can't believe that they said they had not received any complaints about the conditions; the sheer number of angry teachers venting to each other/students/social media would indicate otherwise.

OmmU

★ BoS Deity ★
HSC
Uni Grad
"on the other hand, it seems worrying given that markers really need to be refreshed, on the ball and in a good mood to do an acceptable job. "

That, thank god it isn't any of my subjects xD

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
$75/hour?! Wow.

Now I know why teachers at my school all like HSC marking...

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
Seems only fair that they're kept like pigs for the duration of marking the papers :p. HSC students have to be like pigs, live like pigs and eat like pigs for 1 whole year just to do good in their HSC :p.

boris

Banned
HSC
if they dont like the conditions then they can always not do it

boris

Banned
HSC
getting paid more than 3x as much as normal people who work in similar conditions daily oh those poor teachers who volunteered for this and can leave if they dont like the conditions

loaves

HSC
Wow yeah, I would put up with a bit of pig smell for $75/hour. (Though I do hope it's not for my subjects - would prefer the markers to be in a good mood when they mark my papers!)

Bobbo1

HSC
Jeeesh, $75/hour, and from what I heard you only need 2 years of teaching experience to become marker! Also wouldn't this make it unfair for papers marked at Rosehill versus papers marked here, I mean for the same subject..? Good condition = good marks, bad condition = bad marks?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The subjects, or at least all the papers for a section of the paper, are all marked in the same place - e.g. all of the same part of English will be marked in the same venue so it won't matter which text you did for that section it will still be marked under the same conditions even though another part of the paper may be marked under different conditions - e.g. creative writing might be in air conditioned comfort while belonging might be in the cow shed at the showground.

The $75.00 an hour is after teaching all day - so it is over time rates. If they were marking during school time it is something like $67 for the day until 3.30 p.m.

Teachers might be complaining at their schools etc, even to each other, but they have had similar conditions for years, so just put up with it knowing it is only for a few weeks of the year and then they forget about it until they strike similar conditions the next year.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
I believe maths teachers can take the papers home to mark, as long as they don't mark it at school during teaching...

Also, portable airconditioners come to mind...

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
WTF is wrong with BOS. It's 2011 and they can't even provide basic air-conditioning. That is really fail.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
Surprised at how the comments so far have been very unsympathetic... but then again, students in many schools sit those exams in hot stinky rooms full of sweaty stressed students with a broken fan in the corner.

boris

Banned
HSC
Surprised at how the comments so far have been very unsympathetic... but then again, students in many schools sit those exams in hot stinky rooms full of sweaty stressed students with a broken fan in the corner.
exactly
not all schools are air conditioned why is this an issue

Wentworth

HSC
So long as they don't stuff up my marks I don't care :). maybe in the midst of the stench and frustration one of my english essays gets a 15 cause the marker thought it was an /20 essay ^^.

HSC
Uni Grad
The ties around their necks are like a hangman's noose, In the middle of the table there's a boiled goose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)