HSC markers (1 Viewer)

mo1989

HSC
Me and my friend are planning on writing the same story for paper 1 of the english paper. if we get caught, what will happen?

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
Probably get zero? There's a high chance of you getting caught if you go to the same school as the exams are put into bundles according to school.

I seriously don't advise writing the same story.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
You will get 0.

Was it you or your friend who thought of something as stupid as this? :)

hannahbonanaxx

HSC
if you dont go to the same school, you still might get the same marker, especially if your schools are close by.
but then again, its unlikely i would say.
theyre prob not gonna be exactly the same so i doubt much would happen
but then again, how hard is it to write your own story. seriously. everything has a journey in it. stop being slack and just write one.

morganforrest

HSC
High probability of getting caught...if caught, zero for the course as you are guilty of malpractice

mmkthxbai :wave:

tash.

HSC
my friend said that his teachers told him that hsc markers are told not to penalise people with the same essay. he was pretty positive that this was the truth but is he definitely mistaked?

HSC
It depends on how similar it is. If it's clearly the same idea, and the markers realise there are two esseys with it, they won't be impressed.

Are you schools in the same region?

historykidd

HSC
tash. said:
my friend said that his teachers told him that hsc markers are told not to penalise people with the same essay. he was pretty positive that this was the truth but is he definitely mistaked?
Yes. You can't get in trouble with the same essay - its a bit different from creative however.

Look at the EE1 Marking Comments for clarification.

Last edited:

sideshowtim

HSC
Honestly, you'll be fine. You'll be one unlucky son of a bitch if one marker does happen to mark the same bundles as your friends and yours...They have thousands of markers there.

And besides, teachers read the same forumlatic crap all the time while marking creative writing, if they did read both of your essays, they'd probably just put it down to a conicidence. With all due respect to your friend and you, I doubt your story is groundbreaking.

Hint though, don't go in there with a story planned. It doesn't work. Got me last year.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
historykidd said:
Yes. You can't get in trouble with the same essay - its a bit different from creative however.

Look at the EE1 Marking Comments for clarification.
Really? At my school we were told that if any student has written an essay that uses the same words/sentences as another student - they will get caught and penalised.

If there are a few similar sentences throughout a few students essays, apparently they look up on it. :confused:

tash.

HSC
do they just say that to freak you out into writing your own story/essay? my friend wrote an essay with 3 other guys and they're all using it, maybe a little modified and they're from the same school.

ashleypage

HSC
There's no way I would risk it, can't you just write a different essay? Or them?

The consquences of getting caught outweigh the hour more work you would have to do today, imo.

sideshowtim

HSC
tanjin said:
Really? At my school we were told that if any student has written an essay that uses the same words/sentences as another student - they will get caught and penalised.

If there are a few similar sentences throughout a few students essays, apparently they look up on it. :confused:
Scare tactics.

Contrary to popular belief, markers won't remember every single word and sentence from the thousands of essays they read and mark. And presuming that most people are on the right sort of track with their essay, a lot of the ideas expressed will be similar, and there are bound to be students with similar writing styles too.

Stories I've heard of people being busted for plagarism IN the actual HSC: 0

historykidd

HSC
tanjin said:

Aw, i'm not 100% sure on it but I do recall seeing "Whole classes who turned out similar formulaic responses were limited to a C bracket due to being pre-prepared etc etc" they didn't say anything about penalties. I suppose if a marker saw your essay which they had seen earlier before, they would be more inclined to mark it down due to being rote-learned / limited I guess.

morganforrest

HSC
tash. said:
do they just say that to freak you out into writing your own story/essay? my friend wrote an essay with 3 other guys and they're all using it, maybe a little modified and they're from the same school.
This would probably get caught though as one marker marks all the papers from the one centre.

samuel slack

HSC
They busted 6 people for plagiarism last year. I wouldn't do it, even though you haven't got much chance of being caught, what if you were? It isn't that hard to write your own story. seriously.

historykidd

HSC
samuel slack said:
They busted 6 people for plagiarism last year. I wouldn't do it, even though you haven't got much chance of being caught, what if you were? It isn't that hard to write your own story. seriously.
Does anybody have a BOS document with set guidelines about this?

G

gaoOO

morganforrest said:
This would probably get caught though as one marker marks all the papers from the one centre.
I don't think that's right- i heard that the exam papers get sorted by texts/questions into bundles of around 20 papers. At the marking centre, these smaller bundles are then distributed to teachers after ensuring that they don't have their own school etc.

So if you're in a cohort of around 150 like i am, then it's likely that not all your papers will be marked by the same people.

On the original topic, no the chances of getting caught are not that great, but this is an example of small possibility, large risk. If you get caught, i'm sure you'll get 0 for this paper, and probably won't obtain a UAI due to 'malpractice' of some sort.

A few similar phrases, especially in essays, won't matter- could just be a phrase the teacher likes to use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)