HSC Marks + Assessment Rank Question (1 Viewer)

esceo

HSC
Well,
here goes the question,

I got ranked 1st in my school for Maths 3U, (at least that's what the board's stat says). And I got 96 for the examination mark, but why did I only get a 94 for the assessment mark?

Well, this won't make much difference for me anyway, but yeh, I just want to know, or else my soul can never be settled.

So if somebody can help, I will thank you in advance

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
Your assessment mark has been moderated by the Board, so it could very well be different to your school assessments.

esceo

HSC
Well,

as in the case of 4 unit, I got 1st in school as well

but I got 93 for both the assessment and exam mark,

and that's pretty much how i thought the moderation process worked

If you came 6th, your assessment mark is supposed to be the 6th examination mark of your school, right?

esceo

HSC
Originally posted by natstar
I dont quite understand what ur saying. U obviously did better in ur exam than ur assessments as seen by ur marks.. i guess noone in ur skool beat 94????????????????
But apparently I did?

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
I think I see what you mean.. because you came first you think your assessment and exam mark should be the same? I don't know too much about the moderation process, but I'm sure someone can help you.

esceo

HSC
Yeh, Thx anyway
I've just thought about this a bit more,
Yeh, 1 mark really don't make a hell lot of difference to my UAI,
and whatever I get, I have no chance of getting the scholarship anyway... haha... So, ye, if this is to remain a mystery, then let it be

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Yes something certainly isn't right.

If you got 96 as an exam mark, and you know you came first, then your moderated assessment mark should also be 96.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
perhaps there were many ppl ranked 1st in your school and they didnt do that well in the hsc?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by Constip8edSkunk
perhaps there were many ppl ranked 1st in your school and they didnt do that well in the hsc?
Doesn't change the fact that because he is first, the highest exam mark will become his moderated assessment mark. If he got 96 as an exam mark, then 96 should be his assessment mark - assuming 96 is the highest exam mark.

But if it's not and someone else got higher, that would only make his assessment mark even better.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
The only other explanation I can think is you were equal first.

And the second highest exam mark is 92. So they take the average of your 96 and your friends 92 which gives 94.

And that would be your assessment mark.

esceo

HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner

And the second highest exam mark is 92. So they take the average of your 96 and your friends 92 which gives 94.

Yeh, I just called em up (the board of studies), and that was exactly the case, I came equal first with somebody else, who apparently only got 92.

Anyway, thank you guys

Last edited:

kaspazy

hey, whatever you're saying (i think it was ragerunner) about the exams marks/assessment being the same isnt right...
i got 96 for my earth and enviro exam, and 97 for my assessment, ended up with an hsc mark of 97...i was ranked first in my school internally...and i KNOW i was externally (in the hsc exam) because i came 5th in the state and no one else is in the top ten.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner

That was what i meant.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by kaspazy
hey, whatever you're saying (i think it was ragerunner) about the exams marks/assessment being the same isnt right...
i got 96 for my earth and enviro exam, and 97 for my assessment, ended up with an hsc mark of 97...i was ranked first in my school internally...and i KNOW i was externally (in the hsc exam) because i came 5th in the state and no one else is in the top ten.
That's correct. When you average your HSC exam mark and your assessment mark - 96 and 97, the HSC mark will become 97, they round it up. You don't get 96.5

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Kaspazy was asking why her moderated assessment mark is 97, when she was ranked first and the highest exam mark from her class was (apparently) only 96.

It's not possible for the top moderated mark to be higher than the top exam mark in the situation described. Unless a successful illness/misadventure claim has mucked things up a bit.

Kaspazy, could you please phone the HSC Inquiry Centre on 13 11 12 and let us know the answer? :)

Wohzazz

HSC
It this how it works??
Then say someone got 100 for their external and 2nd for their internal would be severly disadvantaged if the 1st ranking person ( in the school) did unreasonably bad in the HSC exam on the day (say 94% or so)

Also, does this mean if you are ranked second, however lower in mark to the 1st ranking person, you can redeem youself by scoring high in the HSC external exam
so if the both person got 100 for their 3u, being 1st and 2nd respectively, they get 100 for their assessment mark?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)