HSC Music 1- some advice please!! (1 Viewer)

miracu

HSC
I'm doing Music 1 as one of my subjects for the HSC next year. I'm going to play the piano for my core performance. What do markers look for in performances? How difficult should a piece be in order to achieve a band 6? What electives did you choose/ are choosing, and would it be reasonable to do three viva voce's?

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
I'm doing Music 1 as one of my subjects for the HSC next year. I'm going to play the piano for my core performance. What do markers look for in performances? How difficult should a piece be in order to achieve a band 6? What electives did you choose/ are choosing, and would it be reasonable to do three viva voce's?
I can't answer a lot of those questions as I'm a music 2 student, however, make sure your pieces are at a difficulty that matches your own level of performance. Playing an easy piece really well will always be better than playing a difficult piece badly.

I can't remember the marking criteria off the top of my head but it's something like self expression, stylistic appropriation, technical ability, ability to work as an ensemble/solo player - stuff like that.

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
I can't answer a lot of those questions as I'm a music 2 student, however, make sure your pieces are at a difficulty that matches your own level of performance. Playing an easy piece really well will always be better than playing a difficult piece badly.

I can't remember the marking criteria off the top of my head but it's something like self expression, stylistic appropriation, technical ability, ability to work as an ensemble/solo player - stuff like that.
Yeah apparently Music 2 and Music 1 performance criteria is nearly identical...

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
Yeah apparently Music 2 and Music 1 performance criteria is nearly identical...
They are in fact, exactly identical. Markers are supposed to mark them equally too - a full mark music 1 performance should in essence be full marks in music 2. However, when you do music 2, the markers are less lenient with small details and much more harsh in marking. They expect you to play at a higher standard.

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
They are in fact, exactly identical. Markers are supposed to mark them equally too - a full mark music 1 performance should in essence be full marks in music 2. However, when you do music 2, the markers are less lenient with small details and much more harsh in marking. They expect you to play at a higher standard.
Yeah, I think that's unfair though. I agree music 2 should be at a higher level considering it's more for trained musicians but giving the same criteria means that the harshness is much more up to the marker and who you get.

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
Yeah, I think that's unfair though. I agree music 2 should be at a higher level considering it's more for trained musicians but giving the same criteria means that the harshness is much more up to the marker and who you get.
I disagree with that part --- I was doing composition for my elective and for extension, and I don't believe it's fair for me to be marked harsher simply because I am more advanced at the theory component (albeit I still came second in the performance aspect too thanks to playing the piano for a while, but that's a different matter).

Music 1 and Music 2 are different courses with different focuses - one is aimed at modern music (media music, film music, rock, pop, etc.), while the latter is focused on historical music (medieval, baroque, classical, romantic, etc.). As such I believe the marking should be the same - too bad marker's can't stop themselves from being biased :p

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
I disagree with that part --- I was doing composition for my elective and for extension, and I don't believe it's fair for me to be marked harsher simply because I am more advanced at the theory component (albeit I still came second in the performance aspect too thanks to playing the piano for a while, but that's a different matter).

Music 1 and Music 2 are different courses with different focuses - one is aimed at modern music (media music, film music, rock, pop, etc.), while the latter is focused on historical music (medieval, baroque, classical, romantic, etc.). As such I believe the marking should be the same - too bad marker's can't stop themselves from being biased :p
Yeah. Well I'm not sure if you need to provide a score for Music 1 comp but if not, then I agree with music 2 making you provide one. But yeah I guess.

Also by being a 'higher level' I mean I would expect a Music 1 performance of prelude in C (Bach) to be able to get like a band 4 but I don't think it should be considered as a piece to be played in the repertoire of a Music 2 student. I don't think it shows enough technical ability and that's where I think the marking criteria should differ.

In addition, this question is to be informed and isn't sarcasm or anything, but since the marking criteria are identical, what stops a person from singing Beyonce for their music 2 performance? I actually don't understand. (Not that I'm planning on doing that)

And CONGRATS for coming second :) I could never put myself through submitting 2 compositions (especially for extension) voluntarily lol.

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Sorry, I kinda derailed your thread here. Doing three viva voce's is reasonable. I think they're like 10 minutes each which I don't think is that much considering there's heaps you can talk about (it's like answering the concepts questions except verbally). Honestly, band 6 isn't that hard to get. I only have one friend who did music 1 on piano and he played pieces like "Arabesque - Debussy" and some rag by Jelly Roll Morton (I think that's it). SO basically you're looking at I think around grade 4-5 and up. In music 1 it's more about expression than technique though. You should see some of the band 6 singers...

miracu

HSC
Sorry, I kinda derailed your thread here. Doing three viva voce's is reasonable. I think they're like 10 minutes each which I don't think is that much considering there's heaps you can talk about (it's like answering the concepts questions except verbally). Honestly, band 6 isn't that hard to get. I only have one friend who did music 1 on piano and he played pieces like "Arabesque - Debussy" and some rag by Jelly Roll Morton (I think that's it). SO basically you're looking at I think around grade 4-5 and up. In music 1 it's more about expression than technique though. You should see some of the band 6 singers...
Thank you for the reply!

miracu

HSC
I'm a little late here, but do you know around what mark he received for those performances?

KotaBear99

HSC
Hey there!
I have just completed school and do my Music 1 exam tomorrow. I did 4 performances as a vocalist (Purely and simply because I suck at talking to people and composing my own music). I got high marks all the way through Year 11 and 12 (94/100 in Year 11 and 89/100 in Year 12, well trial marks). Getting a band 6 is quite easy in Music 1 I find, but then again, it should be just as easy to do so in Music 2 or other. Your core piece is only worth 10%, and all others 20%. I wouldn't recommend doing Vivas unless you already have a full understanding of how they work. I'd recommend maybe doing a practice one next term and prepare it over your summer break (clear it with your teacher first) or something like that to make sure it works as I found that really helped for me.
Also make sure you keep up to date with theory! Music 1 doesn't cover a lot of Musicology, but I am finding it incredibly handy to know. I have what is called an ALARM template somewhere, I'll message you it if I can find it.

Good luck, you'll smash it!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)