HSC ranks question. please help :) (1 Viewer)

chris94

HSC
So I just checked out my ranks on the board of studies website, and everything was fine except for modern history. In class I was told I was 7/18 however online it says I am 8/18. So I called up the school and talked to my teacher, and he said that it's because I was tied 7th in the class with someone else but that they had beaten me by like a tiny bit and so the board of studies put them above. Is this really how it works? Because I thought they would post your rank number even if you were tied, wouldnt both people just have the same rank number?
Please help :)

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
Both people should have the same rank coz I was in 2nd for Chinese BG course.

Aysce

HSC
Others on this site have confirmed that they still have the same rank regardless of being tied.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
So I just checked out my ranks on the board of studies website, and everything was fine except for modern history. In class I was told I was 7/18 however online it says I am 8/18. So I called up the school and talked to my teacher, and he said that it's because I was tied 7th in the class with someone else but that they had beaten me by like a tiny bit and so the board of studies put them above. Is this really how it works? Because I thought they would post your rank number even if you were tied, wouldnt both people just have the same rank number?
Please help :)
They beat you by a tiny bit. The school obviously went back to assessment marks to split the rank. Hence why you are 8th and them 7th.

alyssa21

HSC
N/A
This is correct- I had the same situation with Extension History: my report stated I ranked equal 3rd, but BOS said I ranked 4th. I had a chat with my Head Teacher, and she said that when it came to decimal places, the other person on my tied rank just edged me out. It's also because the BOS results give greater scope than School Reports, which often round you to the nearest integer. As for some students staying on tied ranks and others not, that's just down to the ways of subject and head teachers.
Just know that it won't affect final results by that significant an amount- remember that the BOS preserve relative gaps between students, and the gap between you, and the person above you, would be very small. As my teacher said, it's a way of ensuring the greatest degree of fairness in reflecting our performances throughout the year.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes they can do this, they may have been a fraction of mark between you that was broken down when sending it to BOS, but not on your report :)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It isn't the BOS who would be making this difference but your school as your school sends in whole numbers only.

Blessed Angel

Based Angel
HSC
i'm tied in quite a few subjects, and i still kept my rank...

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
This is correct- I had the same situation with Extension History: my report stated I ranked equal 3rd, but BOS said I ranked 4th. I had a chat with my Head Teacher, and she said that when it came to decimal places, the other person on my tied rank just edged me out. It's also because the BOS results give greater scope than School Reports, which often round you to the nearest integer. As for some students staying on tied ranks and others not, that's just down to the ways of subject and head teachers.
Just know that it won't affect final results by that significant an amount- remember that the BOS preserve relative gaps between students, and the gap between you, and the person above you, would be very small. As my teacher said, it's a way of ensuring the greatest degree of fairness in reflecting our performances throughout the year.
Schools can rank you down to integers or decimal places, BOS only talks about integers.

Rawf

HSC
On my report it says i finished 5th in chemistry, however on the BOS it says im 3rd in chemistry. I don't know what's going on but I had a chat to the guy coming 6th in chemistry and his also 3rd on the BOS.
I also got knocked back from 7th to 8th for business studies. Strangely, on my report it said i was 7th but in the graduation ceremony it said 2 people were tied on 6th so yeah.. i think I should be 8th for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)