hsc results (1 Viewer)

sths

hey everyone

do u think that if u can still get 94+ uai if u do hard subjects
but for subject . lets say english youre crap and get 60s.......

also does anybody have the rankings for schools in hsc results .......iknow that james ruse is first but i would like to know what other schools are

:D :D :D :D :D :D thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

quartic

The short answer is yes you can recover from one crap subject and get ~94 UAI if your other subjects are very good like mid band 5 - band 6 in 4unit maths and other "hard" subjects.

Play around with some numbers in Lazseeker and see what you think for your subjects and ability level. Though if you get that low in english(advanced thats like the bottom few percent in the state so think about if you really did that bad.

utopian731

Eudaimonian
My mate does ten units - 4unit english, maths, legal studies, german continuers

i worked out that he can come close to the bottom of the state in maths and still get 97.05, pretty funny eh.
Sure, he came second in the state in German last year, but hey, its nto bad for failing 2 of your ten units

chill

LollyPopStar

ummm to answer your question about getting 94+ - it's definately possible but you need to get band 5-6 in your hard subjects. plus it'll depend on how much scaling we get this year. considering the lack of difficulty in some of the papers, students that aren't crash hot will still get good marks so then we dont get great scaling.

what subjects do you do??

ummm rankings for schools - james ruse is first, north sydney girls is second and some school out west starting with a b (sorry i forget the name) came third last year. it was published somewhere that this school beat north sydney girls but they actually didn't - per student north sydney girls got more students in band 5-6 than them.

ps north sydney girls is the bomb and everyone should go there =)

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Originally posted by utopian731
Isnt it a bit hard to rate the schools when so many of the results are confidential?
You can make stats say anything you want, cynical yet true :p
That is so true.

The HSC is one big media hype, moreso last year than any other because it was the first year of the 'new' HSC.

Just a bunch of journalists trying to make sense of second-hand information and make it sound impressive.

utopian731

Eudaimonian
OH good, are we dumping on journalists?
mad

scum lol

hal of nsws hsc stress is down to those guys eh, with al those articles about hsc stress, exams, preparation yada yada yada

on the schools that some first, i dont think anyone can doubt james ruse gets the best results by miles, confidential UAIs or not. But selective schools are at such an unfair advantage, so the school ranks dont relaly give an indication of what the best schools really are

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Yes. I have been avoiding the media for about three months now. "Don't stress" articles are the worst. Ranked up there with the "we can help you" study guides.

not bagging out james ruse and other selective schools who do really well, but no-one seems to take into consideration the fact that most schools only have in year 12 less than half the people they do.

spice girl

magic mirror
I thought rankings were based on percentages, so it doesn't ~really~ matter how many students are in a school. Except for the one who had 2 students and got one in the merit list - that was a laugh...

Anyway, as to judging how "good" a school is, IMHO a part of Ruse's academic performance (I assume here good HSC is good academic performance) is because of how they select students. Think about it. Ruse comes first several times. Parents (specifically Asian) wil think: "Oh, James Ruse must be a 'good' school". What happens? Everyone tries for it. Funny thing is, people who think (and probably rightly so) that they are too dumb for Ruse, don't bother putting ruse as first preference. So, in effect, Ruse gets to pick the most (or most of the most) talented little year 6's in NSW. And 6 years later, Ruse still gets top. A vicious cycle.

Not that teachers or school "spirit" doesn't do anything, but selecting students makes the most difference...

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
from what i hear, it's not the actual school that makes the people smart, its all that extra tutoring. Suposedly all the teachers are really crap and don't teach, and wouldn;t have to teach because all the people get taught elsewhere anyway.

and they have an extra high intake at the end of year 10 so they could get all the smart people in for the senior years

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)