HSC Subject Ideas (1 Viewer)

iBibah

HSC
What would be,in your opinion, a good new subject in the HSC?

I was thinking of some sort of Extension Physics whereby a higher level of maths is used (such as calculus).

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Perhaps they could follow the approach in the United States with the Advanced Placement (AP) program in the United States whereby certain subjects are directly credited towards an undergraduate degree.

Thoughts?

iBibah

HSC
Im pretty sure nsw does have psychology.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd probably change the syllabus for English Advanced to be more like Extension 1.

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
Extension Sciences would be interesting.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Extension Sciences would be interesting.
New subjects along these lines could certainly be a valuable addition if there was a necessity to collaborate with universities. It would be great to see students getting a taste of what science in universities is like.

D94

HSC
N/A
I was thinking of some sort of Extension Physics whereby a higher level of maths is used (such as calculus).
Forget about Extension Physics...students want to learn Physics, not learn about Physics. Physics is applied maths, I really don't think most able students want to learn about the social impact of DC generators, they want to learn Physics.

That being said, an extension on that would be interesting, and maybe this could be the AP-like course which OzKo was talking about.

HSC
Uni Grad
FFUUUUUUUU now students wishing to go to UNSW after they accelerated a subject can start studies earlier there :(

Oh, and a few other good courses to add in (for UNSW, coz idk about others):

ASB:
ACCT1501 - Financial Accounting and Mgt 1A
(Adding: A new actuarial course that ppl fresh from high school can do, provided they've done 4U already; btw they're changing the courses for actuarial studies at UNSW due to the new B Actuarial Studies to be introduced for ppl commencing in 2013 onwards)

CSE:
COMP1911/COMP1917 - Computing 1A / (higher computing) - good for those thinking of doing a harder engineering degree or anything computing related
ENGG1000 - Engineering students take this anyway

FASS:

Not so sure about what is good there, unless if one wants to do Advanced Chinese or Professional Chinese...

Science:

MATH1081 - Discrete Maths
PHYS1121/PHYS1131 - Physics 1A/Higher Physics 1A
PSYC1001 - Psychology 1A

But to streamline it all, I think something like the AP would be great, as it can be accredited for all universities.

Just my 2cs

Last edited:

2xL

HSC
Studies of eSports. Case Studies (watch WCG) and practical.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I always thought Extension Sciences would be awesome! I mean we have them for language, history, maths, english etc. so why not science :)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Bring back 3U computing please Board of Studies. It was da bomb!

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
All of these suggestions will be very biased by my course at uni but here goes lol. Seems like all the HSC computing subjects (SDD, IPT) as well as Engineering Studies are well due for a complete overhaul. I dont think the current Australian high school and university entry system is suited for AP-style courses. I believe High School science is FUBAR and it will have to be gradually fixed, in physics atleast actual physics has to be added. The little maths in the current course seems like an after thought. But if HSC Physics were changed to be more in line with uni physics i believe it will be a huge step from 7-10 science and i'd also question if the teachers would be ready to go from teaching largely content based subject to a math based subject. As for maths, i think 2unit and extension students should be given some experience with graphics calculators and CAS software as that's the way maths is headed but as with every other HSC subject it's difficult to incorporate that stuff in since it can't be directly assesed in the externals.

The whole "coaching culture" needs to be stopped, english and regurgitated essays need to be addressed but i also think prior to year 11 and during year 11 more emphasis in the syllabus should actually be put on essay writting itself. This might be radical or unpopular opinion but Standard and advanced english should be eliminated and be instead replaced by a 1 unit compulsory subject consisting of just Area of Study or a similiar replacement, advanced english modules will become extension 1 but be more of a mix between extension 1 and Advanced. EE2 currently seems to be pretty irrelevant to EE1 (i didn't do either so could be way off here), so it can continue to exist. In year 11 there could be an additional compulsory 1 unit subject about practical english, which is more like the english of 7-10 and designed to be relevant for most students future, in year 12 for hsc it wouldn't have to be compulsory but it would have to be designed to still be useful to people who kept it yet also be challenging/worthwhile enough to provide a fourth unit of english for the people who would usually take 4u.

eat_well

HSC
Something to do with 3D graphic animation. I was so upset in year 10 when they didn't have a subject to specifically do with 3D computing. I know that you could make a 3D animation for your design major in design and tech but you would have to go out and learn tutorials on your own since the teachers are not experts in the field.

Memento-mori

HSC
This is a great question.... even though I do not do any sciences, Extension science is a good example, as I know alot of people would benefit from it. This may take a bit of explaining to do to avoid confusion but... literature. NOT English. The history of literature. Literature and its impacts on society. What makes good literature. Literature that has been translated. Experimental Literature. Kind of like a Modern History approach to English... if that makes any sense. It shouldn't be compulsory, but it just saddens me that so many people have had their love of literature and reading killed off.

Also, why isn't psychology offered at my school? :uhoh:

HSC
A proper English course would be nice.
+10000

You can't go into an HSC exam nowadays and expect to score well without having 'memorised' or as it is ''euphemistically'' referred to as 'learning' essays. All the BOS people who say no memorisation!! is a load of horse dung - YOU TRY IT. YOU TRY GOING INTO ONE OF THE EXAMS YOU OLD FARTS SET AND GETTING A GOOD MARK.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)