HSC Textbooks (1 Viewer)

Bizqit

HSC
Hello all students currently sitting the HSC those you completed previously and the students who have no idea what they're getting themselves into(class of 2016). I have just completed my preliminary year of the HSC and will be sitting my HSC this time next year. I

I'm looking for textbooks for the following subjects.
Physic
Business Studies
SOR2
General Maths
Advanced English

Basically, I'm on a budget of $150 for textbooks brand new. I need recommendations on what you think is good/bad, what worked for you what didn't work for you. The prices and the name of the textbook please help me I'm clueless and just looking for some guidance haha.

Thank you,

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Physics- Jacaranda, Physics in Focus
General Maths- Cambridge
Advanced English- Topnotes, Cambridge study guides etc

Drsoccerball

HSC
Physics- Jacaranda, Physics in Focus
General Maths- Cambridge
Advanced English- Topnotes, Cambridge study guides etc
Jacaranda was the best textbook defs buy it! Not sure about English I never had an book... but then again we'll see my mark ahahah

astroman

HSC
Jacaranda was the best textbook defs buy it! Not sure about English I never had an book... but then again we'll see my mark ahahah
Jacaranda goes too indepth imo, PIF is more concise and has sufficient but not more detail than you need.

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
My opinion on English textbooks (as shared by my entire english faculty and tutor) is that there isn't really a point... I went through my fair share of english resources from my school's library, tutor's collection and a few public libraries and lots of them are actually just poorly written and/or aren't that in-depth. And of course they all might have useful sections but I don't think there is one be-all-end-all english textbook, and it's a waste of money to just go out and buy multiple. I have the best english teacher and he literally went through like 20 textbooks and just photocopied different chapters from different ones and gave us a booklet with the best of the best for each module. And tbh nowadays there are sooo many materials online for you to peruse and see what you think would be useful.

This is just my opinion so obviously if anyone else disagrees or have other recommendations then that's fine too! :)

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Yeah I don't spend crap on English lol, anything I find is through the internet or library.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
I've got a code for the latest edition of Business Studies in Action which you can access online that has e-resources and you can download the pdf version

I will legit give it to you for $5 haha

He

HSC
Physics: I used both Jacaranda and Physics in Focus for Phys. I guess it comes down to personal preference, because they have different styles, but I preferred Physics in Focus. I can sell you Jacaranda if you want for $20.
SOR 2: I used living religion for SOR 1 which was okay I guess. Never really used it all that much.
General Maths: Anything cheap I guess. And then do heaps of past papers.
English: No textbook. Just get your prescribed texts and resources from teacher, or essays from 2015 people and you will be fine.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
General Mathematics: Mathsquest OR NCM
Don't buy Cambridge for General Mathematics.

Business Studies : Business in Action, or if you have spare money also buy Cambridge Business Studies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)