Huck Finn - Learning + obstacles... (1 Viewer)

beentherdunthat

HSC
Can we get a break down of everything here. I'm actually gathering notes from the net now. Main concepts are as follows.

- Missisipi river (Metaphorical Symbol)
- The antithesis established b/w land and the raft - Romantic context?
- Grangerford & Shepperdsons
- Colonel Sherburn
- The duke and the dauphin
- Huck overcoming the obstacle of blacks being mentally weaker, sub-ordinate to the whites, etc. etc.
- WHat does Huck learn?
- Morals of society, depicted through techniques. Twain expressed a misanthropy towards society?
- Other minor stuff that we might need to relate to;
- Tom sawyer...
- Huck's father
- Miss Watson.

I'll further edit this as I continue researching. But seriously, I've done this for like more than two years! ...
Please contribute notes + thoughts on the above topics.

beentherdunthat

HSC
The raft and the land
• Twain wrote as a romantic.
• It is related to that Roman tradition which saw a tension between human ‘innocence’ and social ‘experience’. In huck finn, there is an implied conflict b/w the life of the raft and the corruptions worked upon it by the power of society.
• Twain expressed his conflict b/w Man In Nature pursuing the spontaneous morality of the heart and Man in Society corrupted by money-lust and a repressive morality.
• What Huck and Jim seek is freedom, and this freedom is sharply contrasted with the existing civilization along the great river.
• A sharp antithesis is established between these two mediums. On the raft, away from civilization, Huck is especially free from society’s rules, able to make his own decisions without restriction.
• Through deep introspection, he comes to his own conclusions, unaffected by the accepted—and often hypocritical—rules and values of Southern culture.
• Even early on, the real world intrudes on the paradise of the raft: the river floods, bringing Huck and Jim into contact with criminals, wrecks, and stolen goods.

gracie007

HSC
man i hate that book sooo much
why is it so celebrated & acclaimed? it fucking sucks!!

beentherdunthat

HSC
gracie007 said:
man i hate that book sooo much
why is it so celebrated & acclaimed? it fucking sucks!!
nah. It's a mad book. Which i didn't have to read it for the first time just to write an AOS essay. The book's so good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)