hybridisation (1 Viewer)

elisabeth

HSC
Describe an example of hybridisation and explain the purpose of this hybridisation (4 marks)

I got this question in an assessment task and I'm not quite sure what kind of example it's asking for.

I was considering doing beefalo (cross between bison and domestic cattle), the purpose being to raise them for meat, because it's apparently better quality. Is that alright, or is it not scientific enough?

Also, they're bred naturally, so is it cross breeding, hybridisation or both?

Does anyone know of a better example?

Last edited:

*sarah*

HSC
Another possible eg is the mule - crossing a male horse with a female donkey... or is it female horse with male donkey - one or the other. Purpose = more hybrid vigour, longer working life, stronger etc etc

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
the good mule is the one between a female horse and male donkey- the female donkey crossed with a male horse doesnt have hybrid vigour i think because the donkey's womb is smaller. but the purpose sarah said is right :)

also hybridisation is an example of cross breeding or a type of crossbreeding

elisabeth

HSC
Thank you both. I ended up asking my teacher today and he says to do one interspecies one (like beefalo - since the offspring of cattle and bison are apparently fertile) and one from different species, which I think will be the good old mule. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)