I done fucked up (1 Viewer)

throwaway1234543

HSC
trying to aim for a 90 atar in this years HSC exams

just received back my first assessments from year 12 which occurred in term 4 and suffice to say I am not conifdent in that will be able to achieve my goals. i'm not too sure what my rankings for these subjects are but i will provide the marks that i have received:
English Advanced - 18/20 (A)
Business Studies - 18/20 (A)
Economics - 21/30 (B)
Software Design and Development - 59/100 (C)
Mathematics Advanced - 16/40 (Fail)
Legal studies - 0 (Fail, as I did not hand in my assessment task in due time)

My school is ranked in the upper 300s and I believe each assessment task was worth around 20%. Is there absolutely no hope in achieving anything above 80 let alone a 90?! I am shitting myself baaaadly.

idkkdi

HSC

just received back my first assessments from year 12 which occurred in term 4 and suffice to say I am not conifdent in that will be able to achieve my goals. i'm not too sure what my rankings for these subjects are but i will provide the marks that i have received:
Economics - 21/30 (B)

My school is ranked in the upper 300s and I believe each assessment task was worth around 20%. Is there absolutely no hope in achieving anything above 80 let alone a 90?! I am shitting myself baaaadly.
Brutha how did u not hand in an assessment on time wtf

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I believe that your ATAR goal is still within reach. You have so far completed 20% worth of your school-based assessment tasks, meaning that there is an ~80% weighting left to be determined in terms of your internal performance in each of your subjects. Not only that, but your HSC exams are worth 50% of your HSC marks (final marks) for each of your subjects.

Regarding your performance in each of your subjects, your result in English Advanced and Business Studies is likely to place you among the top students of your cohort. You have therefore made a good start to both of these subjects and your goal going forward should to be ensure that you maintain and, if possible, improve this standard of performance to ensure the highest possible rank, ultimately bringing you closer to your ATAR goal.

Your performance in Economics is of a slightly lower standard. However, it can definitely be improved by addressing areas of improvement that were raised in your assessment task. If you are aware of the errors that you made, it would be a good idea to seek clarification on the specific concepts/areas relevant to those errors. This is important as such concepts will be reassessed, specifically in your trial and HSC exam.

The same principle applies to Software Design and Development and Mathematics Advanced. Depending on the type of assessment that you completed for SDD, you should ensure, similar to Economics, that you address all areas where you made errors and make sure that you ask for clarification with any concepts that you feel are not fully confident with.

Unfavourable performance in Mathematics Advanced could be the result of a lack of understanding of particular concepts and/or insufficient practice. As you may already be aware, while understanding concepts is essential, you also need to be able to apply your knowledge to different types of questions, which becomes increasingly relevant the closer you get to your trial and HSC exam. It is therefore important that you regularly complete practice material (such as textbook questions and past exam papers), which will also enable you to identify (and hopefully address) areas of improvement. It is equally important to ask for help if there are any concepts that you are not fully comfortable with.

The good thing in your case is that you are taking 12 units meaning that, despite the fact that a zero in an assessment task pretty much places you last in your cohort (i.e. it poses a negative effect on your overall performance), Legal Studies may not count towards your ATAR altogether if it ends up being your lowest performing subject. In such a case, it would be a good idea to reflect on whether you should keep or drop Legal Studies. If you choose to keep it, you will have to do your utmost in your upcoming tasks in order to maximise your results. On the other hand, dropping Legal Studies would give you more time to allocate towards your studies in your other subjects, although it would eliminate your backup 2 units.

I hope this helps! :D

throwaway1234543

HSC
I believe that your ATAR goal is still within reach. You have so far completed 20% worth of your school-based assessment tasks, meaning that there is an ~80% weighting left to be determined in terms of your internal performance in each of your subjects. Not only that, but your HSC exams are worth 50% of your HSC marks (final marks) for each of your subjects.

Regarding your performance in each of your subjects, your result in English Advanced and Business Studies is likely to place you among the top students of your cohort. You have therefore made a good start to both of these subjects and your goal going forward should to be ensure that you maintain and, if possible, improve this standard of performance to ensure the highest possible rank, ultimately bringing you closer to your ATAR goal.

Your performance in Economics is of a slightly lower standard. However, it can definitely be improved by addressing areas of improvement that were raised in your assessment task. If you are aware of the errors that you made, it would be a good idea to seek clarification on the specific concepts/areas relevant to those errors. This is important as such concepts will be reassessed, specifically in your trial and HSC exam.

The same principle applies to Software Design and Development and Mathematics Advanced. Depending on the type of assessment that you completed for SDD, you should ensure, similar to Economics, that you address all areas where you made errors and make sure that you ask for clarification with any concepts that you feel are not fully confident with.

Unfavourable performance in Mathematics Advanced could be the result of a lack of understanding of particular concepts and/or insufficient practice. As you may already be aware, while understanding concepts is essential, you also need to be able to apply your knowledge to different types of questions, which becomes increasingly relevant the closer you get to your trial and HSC exam. It is therefore important that you regularly complete practice material (such as textbook questions and past exam papers), which will also enable you to identify (and hopefully address) areas of improvement. It is equally important to ask for help if there are any concepts that you are not fully comfortable with.

The good thing in your case is that you are taking 12 units meaning that, despite the fact that a zero in an assessment task pretty much places you last in your cohort (i.e. it poses a negative effect on your overall performance), Legal Studies may not count towards your ATAR altogether if it ends up being your lowest performing subject. In such a case, it would be a good idea to reflect on whether you should keep or drop Legal Studies. If you choose to keep it, you will have to do your utmost in your upcoming tasks in order to maximise your results. On the other hand, dropping Legal Studies would give you more time to allocate towards your studies in your other subjects, although it would eliminate your backup 2 units.

I hope this helps! :D
Thank you very much, I will see what I can do.

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC

Economics - 21/30 (B)

ok do firstly drop legal cuz u didn't even bother to do the assessment and focus on ur other 10 units

carrotsss

HSC
Other than legal it’s not that bad, obviously you’ll need to improve a fair bit and aim higher in maths, SDD and eco though

eyhk

HSC
I have recently finished my first year 12 exams and I am genuinely concerned for my atar, as I have bombed my exams.
So far, I have achieved
86% for a beginners language
failed my business studies (46%)
Very low hopes on math adv (honestly think I failed)
Also very low hopes for economics (may barely pass)
And also low hopes for english adv (may barely pass)

How badly would these marks affect my atar, given that I am expected to fail most of my exams and would I be able to climb up and achieve a high atar by any chance?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I have recently finished my first year 12 exams and I am genuinely concerned for my atar, as I have bombed my exams.
So far, I have achieved

How badly would these marks affect my atar, given that I am expected to fail most of my exams and would I be able to climb up and achieve a high atar by any chance?
The extent to which unfavourable performance in your exams will negatively impact your ATAR depends on two main factors:
  • The weighting of each exam - The higher the weighting of an exam, the more significant the effect of unfavourable performance would be. On the other hand, the lower the weighting of an exam, the less significant the effect of unfavourable performance would be.
  • The ranks that your marks in your exams reflect across your subjects - In your case, your performance is likely to lead you to low ranks relative to your cohort in most of your subjects. Essentially, the lower your rank, the lower your Assessment Mark (internal mark) will be. This also means that higher ranks will allow you to maximise your Assessment Mark.
Since you are still at an early stage in year 12, you have a great opportunity to make a comeback by performing well in the rest of your school-based assessment tasks/exams (of course, you should also not overlook the importance of your HSC exams, as they contribute the remaining 50% of your overall HSC marks across your subjects). This means that you can definitely still achieve a high ATAR. In fact, numerous students who find themselves in such a situation end up making a comeback and achieve their ATAR goal.

I hope this helps! 😀

Tribunal

HSC

Economics - 21/30 (B)

Yeah you can get above 90, just drop legal

TryingMyBest194

HSC

Economics - 21/30 (B)

did you not fill in a misadventure form? if you provided a valid reason for you handing it in late they should still consider your hand in. If you're good at legal you could still recover since maths adv is eh atm.

if you go to the UAC atar calc they have like estimates so you could look at the marks and play around with it to see what marks you should be getting to achieve the atar you want.

smash the rest of your assessments and don't give up :) atar is just a way to get into uni !!

sincerely,
someones whos struggling w maths

jonolad69

HSC
did you not fill in a misadventure form? if you provided a valid reason for you handing it in late they should still consider your hand in. If you're good at legal you could still recover since maths adv is eh atm.

if you go to the UAC atar calc they have like estimates so you could look at the marks and play around with it to see what marks you should be getting to achieve the atar you want.

smash the rest of your assessments and don't give up :) atar is just a way to get into uni !!

sincerely,
someones whos struggling w maths
bit too late for all of this advice buddy

TryingMyBest194

HSC
So far, I have achieved

your atar is made up of your hsc results and your school internal ranks. if you work hard to lift up your ranks then you can make a comeback. your first assessment for eng was common mod right? make sure you improve on all the human experience stuff bc its common mod and that acc scales the rest of your hsc to an extent -> that came from my eng. head teacher so idrk.

anyways trials should weigh the most overall, so work hard on the rest of your assessments + trials

gl man we're in this together 😭 😭

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)