I don't understand this (1 Viewer)

egglover

HSC
Hi, so I have 11 units, math ext 1 being the extra unit. Everytime I put my marks into an atar calculator with my other subjects as high band 5s, putting my ext 1 mark at 40 changes the mark compared to it being 35, does nesa give me a better rank if I perform better in a harder subject or is it just an error. Sorry if this is hard to understand lol.

tito981

HSC
your atar is an aggregate of your best 10 units, so if you perform well in ext 1 and your on 11 units and lets say that visual arts is your lowest 2 unit subject, then only 1 unit of VA will count and the other unit will be made up by ext 1. If ext 1 is your worst performing subject than it is excluded entirely.

yanujw

HSC
does nesa give me a better rank if I perform better in a harder subject or is it just an error.
Essentially yes, this is the process known as scaling that everyone talks about. It compensates for the literal fact that it is harder to score raw marks in extension 1 compared to a lot of other subjects, so an 80 in each subject has a different contribution to your atar depending on the scaling of the subject.

egglover

HSC
Essentially yes, this is the process known as scaling that everyone talks about. It compensates for the literal fact that it is harder to score raw marks in extension 1 compared to a lot of other subjects, so an 80 in each subject has a different contribution to your atar depending on the scaling of the subject.
alright that makes sense thank you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)