I have a confession to make... its about umat. (1 Viewer)

omoge

HSC
N/A
Guys i sat the 2018 umat earlier today and i have a confession... I copied my answers off of a student next to me, he had medentry stationary indicating he took a commercial prep course and he completed the test with 10 mins to spare. He was clearly very prepared and i would know because i glanced at his answer sheet (he was on my left) for the duration of the test and copied his answers on to my sheet. Now ill admit im shitting myself because i know for a fact that our question orders were the same but what if the answers were randomised in order? I know i will get many negative responses and i deserve to burn in hell and have no respext for taking the hard work of someome else and yes i know and yes i genuinely apologize to everyone who took the umat this year. I have a lack of self confidence and year 12 has been the worst year of my life due to mant occurences and personal issues throughout the year. To most of you i know its no excuse but please believe me that i really do understand where ur coming from, i know im far from a perfect human being and im pretty close to disgusting. Half of the reason i am posting this thread tonight is because i need someome to confirm to me whether the answers are randomized please ease my mind. In the end i deserve whats coming whether its backlash from u guys or failing the umat. but ofcourse i personally will hope to any god that exists that the answers are lettered the same,as with any other test. so yes im sorry again but im hoping i maximised.marks
ive produced enough failures these past 2 years as it is. thank you for reading... and please try and be understanding if u can even tho i dont deserve ur sympathy

Last edited:

hindsight2020

HSC
N/A
@acer (/s)

Good luck dude. Let's hope for your sake you don't get caught, I'm surprised you didn't during the paper.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Guys i sat the 2018 umat earlier today and i have a confession... I copied my answers off of a student next to me, he had medentry stationary indicating he took a commercial prep course and he completed the test with 10 mins to spare. He was clearly very prepared and i would know because i glanced at his answer sheet (he was on my left) for the duration of the test and copied his answers on to my sheet. Now ill admit im shitting myself because i know for a fact that our question orders were the same but what if the answers were randomised in order? I know i will get many negative responses and i deserve to burn in hell and have no respext for taking the hard work of someome else and yes i know and yes i genuinely apologize to everyone who took the umat this year. I have a lack of self confidence and year 12 has been the worst year of my life due to mant occurences and personal issues throughout the year. To most of you i know its no excuse but please believe me that i really do understand where ur coming from, i know im far from a perfect human being and im pretty close to disgusting. Half of the reason i am posting this thread tonight is because i need someome to confirm to me whether the answers are randomized please ease my mind. In the end i deserve whats coming whether its backlash from u guys or failing the umat. but ofcourse i personally will hope to any god that exists that the answers are lettered the same,as with any other test. so yes im sorry again but im hoping i maximised.marks
ive produced enough failures these past 2 years as it is. thank you for reading... and please try and be understanding if u can even tho i dont deserve ur sympathy
Did you copy almost all of the answers, or just a small number? When you copied some answers, did you stop and think for any of them whether the copied answer seemed correct for the given question? For example, if most of the time it seemed incorrect, it could be the case the answer orders were randomised (or the person you copied may not be as good as you thought, or many other possibilities).

Also, how do you even know you had all the same questions as the person next to you?

In the end, there's not much point worrying now because you can't change the exam result any more. Instead, it might be best to just take this as another reason (out of many) of why one shouldn't cheat in exams (it can just increase the pressure you feel afterwards).

omoge

HSC
N/A
i copied most of the answers, at some times they seemed wrong while at times they seemed right so i have no idea what to make of it. Also catching a glimpse at his paper i could definitely see we had the exact same question order. also i get what you mean about there not being any point of worrying but what would i tell my parents if i come back with a 10th percentile or some shit like that. even after them asking if i finished the test and i told them i did.

omoge

HSC
N/A
thanks man i really hope so, i dont care about the mark ans having to do postgrad medicine. its my parents that im really worried about.

Last edited:

umat_sitter

HSC
N/A
What test centre were you at bro? I was in sydney and the desks were so far apart it would be impossible to copy. My eye wouldnt be able to even turn adequately sideways without moving my head and making it obvious.

umat_sitter

HSC
N/A
I just wanna say I know stress can do crazy things to people and make them end up doing stuff like they would never have imagined. Don’t freak out. There’s always a reason for pepple’s actions and I understand you were extremely worried abput this. So the best advice I can give you is to just relax and forget about this. Stop thinking about this. You dont want it to affect your trials or any other exams. Because no one knows for sure - it could be randomised or could not. Dont worry about it and hope everything works out for you in the end.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
i copied most of the answers, at some times they seemed wrong while at times they seemed right so i have no idea what to make of it. Also catching a glimpse at his paper i could definitely see we had the exact same question order. also i get what you mean about there not being any point of worrying but what would i tell my parents if i come back with a 10th percentile or some shit like that. even after them asking if i finished the test and i told them i did.
You either come clean or tell them to fuck off and that you will do it again

omoge

HSC
N/A
I just wanna say I know stress can do crazy things to people and make them end up doing stuff like they would never have imagined. Don’t freak out. There’s always a reason for pepple’s actions and I understand you were extremely worried abput this. So the best advice I can give you is to just relax and forget about this. Stop thinking about this. You dont want it to affect your trials or any other exams. Because no one knows for sure - it could be randomised or could not. Dont worry about it and hope everything works out for you in the end.
thanks bro and i get what you mean about not thinking about this. I dont care if I have to take a gap year or do post-graduate medicine instead due to my umat results its mainly my parents thats got me like this. also i did my umat at olympic park in one of those exhibition halls so we had about half a metre between us, tilting ur whole body slightly on ur chair made it pretty easy to see the other persons answer sheet. i appreciate you understanding the external that made me do something i usually would not do

iStudent

HSC
Copying someone else's exam is bound to fail - not just because the question order etc might be different, but most people doing the paper do not do well enough to get into medicine anyway.

You need to get at least like 85%ile to get an interview at most places and to be honest unless you score 90+%ile your chances are pretty slim. So really, there's around a 1/10 chance that the person you copied off did well in the exam (maybe a little bit more given he went with MedEntry).

Not trying to throw shade on you, but it's probably wise to sit the exam properly (not just because of ethical reasons, but to increase your chances of doing well!) :)

Last edited:

omoge

HSC
N/A
Copying someone else's exam is bound to fail - not just because the question order etc might be different, but most people doing the paper do not do well enough to get into medicine anyway.

You need to get at least like 85%ile to get an interview at most places and to be honest unless you score 90+%ile your chances are pretty slim. So really, there's around a 1/10 chance that the person you copied off did well in the exam (maybe a little bit more given he went with MedEntry).

Not trying to throw shade on you, but it's probably wise to sit the exam properly (not just because of ethical reasons, but to increase your chances of doing well!) :)
So based on that is it safe to assume that under approx. 15% of people make it undergraduate medicine? Is the number of students aiming for medicine that actually make it in that low? Is it then also safe to assume that a very large proportion of medicine students made it in through postgraduate medicine or a uni that did not require a umat??

Last edited:

omoge

HSC
N/A
No you won't get caught, but cheating doesn't considering a good ATAR nor a good UMAT score LOL

Well pray for the best and practice interviews?
Haha ill definitely pray the best but to clarify, its not about getting caught thats got me worried, because clearly ive already gotten away with it, its whether the answer orders were randomized or questions slightly changed or something like that which would obviously produce a very worryingly low mark.

iStudent

HSC
So based on that is it safe to assume that under approx. 15% of people make it undergraduate medicine? Is the number of students aiming for medicine that actually make it in that low? Is it then also safe to assume that a very large proportion of medicine students made it in through postgraduate medicine or a uni that did not require a umat??
Actually, that's just the % who will have a chance of receiving the interview.

The actual numbers who get in are much lower maybe <5%?

Also yea, probably half the spots are post-grad?

Last edited:

iStudent

HSC
Also, half the spots are post-grad. The other half undergrad - most of which uses UMAT.

The % is low because there's thousands of applicants but there is a very limited number of positions. UNSW for example only take 150 standards applicants every year. My uni only takes 60

copyfrogs

HSC
Pretty sure all the booklets contain different combinations of questions anyway - that's why you have to record your booklet number. Chances are if you thought the answers were wrong as you copied them, they were.

crazygirl1

HSC
oh man that sucks. Tell us what you get, maybe it will work out in the end?

pistachioman

HSC
N/A
Hopefully this person comes back one day and tells her story. Shes left everyone at a cliffhanger. :shoot:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)