I have a feeling this is going to sound ridiculous, but... (1 Viewer)

Moist

HSC
I'm looking into my options for university next year and I'm really drawn to a Bachelor of Computer Science & Technology at USyd because the programming aspects really interest me and I love working with computers. However, Extension 1 Maths is assumed knowledge for the degree, and I only do General Mathematics. Would I struggle? How vital is it that I take a bridging course? [Like, can I even enrol with just General?] I contacted the University and they basically said "do a bridging course, or you'll be fucked m8", but I wanted to hear it from someone who does Computer science, u no?

Anyway thanks

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
From a UNSW perspective, you would definitely need to have a good backing in maths. Not sure if this goes for other universities though, however being computer science, I can imagine maths being a key component of your first year courses.

Though in general, computer science involves a lot of abstract problem solving, so I can imagine the skills gained in maths will be a necessary component here and there.

However for your first and second semester maths courses, at UNSW you would find it a struggle to cope without knowing at least the 2U knowledge behind everything. So yeah can't speak on behalf of other universities sorry.

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
From a UNSW perspective, you would definitely need to have a good backing in maths. Not sure if this goes for other universities though, however being computer science, I can imagine maths being a key component of your first year courses.

Though in general, computer science involves a lot of abstract problem solving, so I can imagine the skills gained in maths will be a necessary component here and there.

However for your first and second semester maths courses, at UNSW you would find it a struggle to cope without knowing at least the 2U knowledge behind everything. So yeah can't speak on behalf of other universities sorry.
you don't need to, ~ UNSW master race ~

but for cs; 3/8 of your 1st year subjects are maths so you better be good at it

Moist

HSC

Thanks, I have a feeling that I wouldn't be able to handle the maths and would probably struggle.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't listen to seventhroot, he goes to UNSW and is therefore inferior :p

In my opinion, you will struggle if you enter university with general maths. A bridging course would be essential. I don't do computer science, but I know enough to make a judgement that general maths isn't good enough for it (in fact, general rule is that general maths isn't useful for anything in uni, you'll need to always complete a bridging course if the course requires maths).

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

In my opinion, you will struggle if you enter university with general maths. A bridging course would be essential. I don't do computer science, but I know enough to make a judgement that general maths isn't good enough for it (in fact, general rule is that general maths isn't useful for anything in uni, you'll need to always complete a bridging course if the course requires maths).
uh lol

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
u fkn w0t m9?

~ UNSW master race ~

I agree with this though

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
I'm looking into my options for university next year and I'm really drawn to a Bachelor of Computer Science & Technology at USyd because the programming aspects really interest me and I love working with computers. However, Extension 1 Maths is assumed knowledge for the degree, and I only do General Mathematics. Would I struggle? How vital is it that I take a bridging course? [Like, can I even enrol with just General?] I contacted the University and they basically said "do a bridging course, or you'll be fucked m8", but I wanted to hear it from someone who does Computer science, u no?

Anyway thanks
Haven't read the other comments cus cbf but i have a friend who did general maths and got like 34 in a standard maths course at unsw. You won't be counting taxes in cs so you'll have a pretty big disadvantage unless if you learn how to do basic 2u stuff (2u is actually enough imo) over the holidays. I reckon you should watch videos on youtube and practice questions from somewhere if you don't want to waste like $300 doing a bridging course (iirc)

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh yeah, Meno brings up a good point. It's not necessary to do a bridging course if you can teach yourself the 2u and 3u content using videos and other online material.

Moist

HSC
Ok, thanks guys. Sounds like I'll either have to do a bridging course or learn the content by myself if I want to do comp sci.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

Maaaaaa88888te you just called him inferior and then rephrased and plagiarised what he said (no citations wtf).

(nah jokes but still your post is ironic)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)