I like or am doing physics because...? (1 Viewer)

Angelina88

HSC
Hey guys

Before the summer holidays i took a survey in my physics class and found out that no one...not one of my fellow classmates liked physics, myself included. Is this what its like with other schools too?? Or is it just us? lol
So why do you do physics and why do u like it? Or rather how does your teacher keep you interested and engaged in what goes on. Please i need some positive comments about this subject for a change. :)

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I've always had an interest in how simple things around us work. I chose physics because it appealed to me and I wanted to learn more about science. Physics is a subject that keeps me thinking, especially theories like relativity and the big bang. In my opinion the subject is very enlightening and I continue to adore it. :uhhuh:

Last edited:

mattlaidely

HSC
basically just for scaling purposes.. i had some pretty bad science teachers in junior years so i missed a lot of the basics and after years of not liking science it makes it difficult to enjoy it now.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Erm...to be honest it's a I-dont-know XP Well I just seemed to have put it down on my subject slelection list without thinking, like, 'Of course I'm doing it!'

...Hmmm. Why did I choose Physics?

...Because I love astronomy, perhaps?

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Ah, scaling.

What I find amusing is that there's this perpetual belief that physics has good scaling, so all the smart people choose it because they want high UAI's.

But, scaling is only based on the overall performance of the canditature of a subject, (ie. subjects with lots of smart people will have high scaling).

So, if someone started a convincing rumour that Visual Arts had high scaling, and all the smart people flocked to it, it would get high scaling.

On topic: I had wanted to to physics since year 7 because I kicked ass at junior science. I was hoping for physics to be a hard subject that required a lot of study, practise and thinking. Bit disappointing then.

vizman

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Ah, scaling.

What I find amusing is that there's this perpetual belief that physics has good scaling, so all the smart people choose it because they want high UAI's.

But, scaling is only based on the overall performance of the canditature of a subject, (ie. subjects with lots of smart people will have high scaling).

So, if someone started a convincing rumour that Visual Arts had high scaling, and all the smart people flocked to it, it would get high scaling.

On topic: I had wanted to to physics since year 7 because I kicked ass at junior science. I was hoping for physics to be a hard subject that required a lot of study, practise and thinking. Bit disappointing then.
im with you on this jono

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
because i got screwed by my subject lines and had to do physics instead of modern history
I changed schools so i could do both, alot of the smart people at my school changed schools because of the stupid lines.

M-turkey

Zoom Zoom
HSC
Jono_2007 said:
Simply because science is my favorite subject, and i enjoy it. So for me physics and chem for that matter will be relief from maths and english!
Thats pretty true for me too cept I enjoyed Maths. I guess I'm just a person that prefers factual answers. In pretty much all of Maths, Physics and Chemistry, there's either a right answer or a wrong answer. I like that.
When it comes to creative pieces in English, its completely upto the opinion of the teacher. Which I understand but didnt enjoy.

Raginsheep

HSC
I did it because:
a) I'm asian. I did 3maths, 3eng, phy, chem eco in year 11 also known as the Asian Five.
b) Has the perception of good scaling.
c) I enjoyed it and was good at it.

By the time I got to year 12 though, everything changed. For me, physics is the most utterly crap HSC subject out there. What it basically amounts to is a social study with a strong scientific content. I've heard people say that the HSC is alot about rote learning and in my opinion, physics is one of the worst examples with so much emphaise on the "key verbs" rather than an real, indepth understanding of physical concepts. I don't see Ancient History people studying why the chemical properties of different alloys allowed one culture to dominate another culture so why the reverse.

Plus also the fact that my school sucks at physics and seems to be more interested in dodgy marking schemes rather than actual knowledge.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
I actually really like physics - one of my favourite subjects, if not the favourite. :)

karoooh

HSC
Physics is ok I guess... The Yr 12 course is much better than the one in Yr 11, however, only the 'Space' topic appealed to me and I'm happy about the fact that we're doing 'Medical Physics' as the option module. However, what makes Physics a lot less enjoyable is the 'Motors and Generators' topic and the 'From Ideas and Implementations' topic doesn't look so exciting either...

I only chose the subject, not for the scaling, but because I'm an idiot for letting my parents make me do it! :( I'm a Humanaties student, not Science. :p

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
i luv physics o_o
2nd fav. subject... whether i get good marks or not is a different story (though; im changing that this year!! >D)

Lavenderpup

HSC
I hate physics -.-' I'd say due to parental pressure.
That and I dropped economics instead of it. Of course.. I can still drop physics but then.. 10 units and only one science? The curriculum dude'd fry me. =P

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Parental pressure and curriculum dude. Indeed.

So we have the majority of physics students doing the subject solely because of scaling, and scaling alone, (because parents and 'curriculum dudes' at schools are morons who don't even know how scaling works). They completely dislike the subject and have no interest in it, but are able to get top marks in it because the subject has been reduced to nothing more than remembering stuff from a textbook and the definitions of verbs.

Would this generalisation be accurate?

Raginsheep

HSC
If you read my previous post, I'd wholeheartly agree.

beabenn

tambourine man
HSC
Raginsheep said:
If you read my previous post, I'd wholeheartly agree.
It's amusing that Raginsheep mentioned dodgy marking schemes well I didn't attend NSB but my school marked in a very stingy manner.
However the truth is this dodgy marking scheme is what HSC markers use!!!
A raw mark in the HSC Physics paper of say 76 would be scaled up to a band six (about 91-92) I got 80 raw in my trials and received 96 as my final physics mark!
So bravo to dodgy marking schemes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)