I need some help to choose a piece. (1 Viewer)

Lexi

HSC
N/A
Hey, I'm a level 5/6 pianist ... Well, actually I don't do levels, but I'm playing pretty hard stuff, and I need to choose a piece for the topic An Instrument and Its Repetoire(sp?). My piano teacher suggested that I do a classical piece, and I was wondering if there were any nice one's for piano. Note - can't be in a movie ... Bit of a cow I know. Help would be much appreciated!

the sax man

Hmmmm......
I'm not a pianist, but why not check out some Debussy? Clair de Lune or the Sunken Cathedral.

5c

HSC
ummm...
wats the era for ur topic? any... ?
well..
a movt of one of beethovens' sonatas.. when is due? soon.. cuz it mite be a bit too long.. there are nice ones in the pianoforte series 14 book ..

Lexi

HSC
N/A
Thankyou so much, I'm thinking of playing Debussy's Clair de Lune, but I don't have to perform it until the Trials ... So any other suggestions ... I need a piece for 20th and 21st Century more than anything.

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
For 20th and 21st century, why don't you do a pop song?
some really old stuff is great for solo piano
like my friend who's doing 7th grade piano, she's doing "the Stranger" by Billy Joel for her hsc

or you can check out what songs the AMEB prescribes for piano for leisure exams, and play stuff like that.
for example, some of the 7th grade pieces were
Proud Mary - john fogerty,
In Your Eyes - Masser
Prelude - Bach
adagio sostenuto - beethoven
three to get ready - brubeck
moonlight - debussy
misty - garner
your song - elton john
consolation no.5 - liszt
maple leaf rag - joplin
alla turca - mozart
forcing the pace - norton

good luck!

ccgs_jono

sorry to throw a spanner in the works and all, but seriously most of the pieces that have been suggested will not be marked well. They've all be overdone, especially for Piano. Piano is the hardest instrument to do well in for the HSC (sorry to burst ya bubble) I'm doing both Piano and Viola and it's ironically easier to find Viola pieces. For the Core perf. look up pieces at www.amcoz.com.au anything there will help you heaps. And for any other performances you are doing...look for obscure composers, even one's you have never heard of before. 20th Century Music always goes down well...hope that helps! If you need a list try Zephyr music online

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
piano the hardest instrument to do well in?? r u sure? i thought it was the easiest haha

anyway.. i have a really good 20th century piece...

Kim Jones "suite" or do some of those rags by Elena kats-chernin? easy to play and fun..

5c

HSC
i heard that many ppl are doing ELENA KATS CHERNIN's
russian rag...
so dont do it..

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
den....... miriam hyde would be good??

like some left hand study or sumfin... its only like 2 mins long

ccgs_jono

It's the hardest instrument to do well in because so many people are pianist's, and let's face it...if you were an HSC marker and you listened to say 50 ppl play piano pieces...it would become really difficult to differentiate them. Basically you MUST stand out, so don't choose cliche pieces :D

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
i see.. wats should be the normal level u should be in for music do u think? eg. like grade 8 at least? or L.Mus?

MouNtY

so then i have a question. I have no doubt that there are like ten million people that are doing vocals for hsc, does that mean that it will be marked really hard?

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
well like dat dude said, unless u stand out from the pack u probably wont get a really really high mark.. meh i dunno haha

see, i hav a few friends who did their HSC music last year, and they got 50/50 for extension... and i thought they were CRAP! AND THEY DO PIANO!!! soooo basically, i dunno hehe

MouNtY

shux. so then in terms of song choice. i'm thinkin that doing songs that are mainstream aint really the right way to go. so should i be choosing like some sort of opertta (spelling) or someting?

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
hmmmmmmm lol i think..................... just doing REALLY well will get u full marks. im actually aiming to get full marks..

yeah just practice heaps n heaps n heaps.. n u'll get there

MouNtY

is that easy to do? get full marks i mean. like if ur just really good but not excellent?

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
if ur just good, i guess u could get marks in the high 40's probs.. but i mean, if my friends could get 100%, gosh.. coz i mean, these dudes r really crap lol i swear haha so im pretty confident..

r u a singer?

MouNtY

yep. i'm a singer. my song choice sounds really shit now. the songs that i chose were.
Stevie Wonder - I Just Called To Say I Love You
Matchbox Twenty - Bright Lights
Nat King Cole (i think) - Wonderful World
and i dont know what i'm doing for the last one

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
oh nice...

meh.. i hope my pieces rnt too bad..

do u think its too late to start new pieces?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)