I need some Help (1 Viewer)

Zayan

HSC
I am currently in 5.2 Maths. I really want to do Ext 1 Mathematics as my year 11 course, but need to achieve 95% and move to 5.3 in less than 6-7 months. Do you guys have tips so I can get around 90%+ on my tests and move up. (main weakness is extended algebra and trig)

jkjkjk

HSC
I am currently in 5.2 Maths. I really want to do Ext 1 Mathematics as my year 11 course, but need to achieve 95% and move to 5.3 in less than 6-7 months. Do you guys have tips so I can get around 90%+ on my tests and move up. (main weakness is extended algebra and trig)
start using a 5.3 textbook. its not that different but has better questions. work through those. in regards to ur 5.2 book, go through all chapter reviews instead of the content and get at least 95% in the tests before moving on. the bits that u dont understand, u can go back to the content and fill in the gaps in ur knowledge. what grade are u in? yr 9?

Zayan

HSC
start using a 5.3 textbook. its not that different but has better questions. work through those. in regards to ur 5.2 book, go through all chapter reviews instead of the content and get at least 95% in the tests before moving on. the bits that u dont understand, u can go back to the content and fill in the gaps in ur knowledge. what grade are u in? yr 9?
I will be in year 10 2021, So I am a bit stressed as I need 90%+ consistently before term 1-2 to move up to 5.3 in the top 25, Thanks for the advice.

Zayan

HSC
also I got a oxford 5.2/5.3 maths book for year 10, and trying to get over some of it in the holidays

aandablitzer

HSC
As long as you aren't getting in the low 70s or 60s I wouldn't be too worried. In my understanding a school cannot actually stop you from doing a subject - I had a mate who was getting in the mid 60s in year 10, (they intially said you had to get 80+ to do ext 1) then went on to do ext 1 maths, got 48% in his last test in year 11 but still did ext 2 in year 12 (initally they said you needed an average of 80+ in 2u and 75+ in ext 1). In the end maths carried his atar. As long as you schedule enough meetings with your deputy and head of maths around subject selection time and make enough of a fuss they'll probably let you into ext 1.

jkjkjk

HSC
As long as you aren't getting in the low 70s or 60s I wouldn't be too worried. In my understanding a school cannot actually stop you from doing a subject - I had a mate who was getting in the mid 60s in year 10, (they intially said you had to get 80+ to do ext 1) then went on to do ext 1 maths, got 48% in his last test in year 11 but still did ext 2 in year 12 (initally they said you needed an average of 80+ in 2u and 75+ in ext 1). In the end maths carried his atar. As long as you schedule enough meetings with your deputy and head of maths around subject selection time and make enough of a fuss they'll probably let you into ext 1.
if its a private school, they can stop you from doing a subject.

jkjkjk

HSC
also I got a oxford 5.2/5.3 maths book for year 10, and trying to get over some of it in the holidays
use that along with cambridge. go straight to chapter reviews so u can see what u do know and what you dont. study harddd these holidays and you wont regret the results! good luck :)

aandablitzer

HSC
I'm not that fussed about making people do subjects at school as opposed to open high school if the subjects are offered at school, I'm more disgruntled by schools stopping students from doing certain subjects

bugra

HSC
N/A
Hey mate (for reference I've completed the year 9 5.3 course and got 97% on the yearly exam. My school also starts the school year early so I've actually already completed my first year 10 exam as well - 97 as well)
I've always been pretty good at maths and so didn't have to work that hard in year 7 or 8 to achieve decent results. However, if you're aiming for these top scores over 90+, you're gonna have to put in some effort. I made notes for the year 9 topics I felt in needed to in prep for our yearly and spent a good amount of time doing all of the revision sheets, going over past questions etc. What I think is the best idea is to:
a) organise your topics into notes and summarise info. Stay up to date and don't let anything go unless you understand
b) start looking over the year 9 5.3 topics you didn't do because even if you make it into the top class, you need to stay there so you can take maths extension. For example you mightn't have done non-monic trinomials, harder linear relationships type stuff and so could fall behind when this is expected in 5.3 year 10
c) seek consolidation of knowledge from your teacher. Honestly a few days before the exam this one maths teacher just walked me through everything within this certain topic and it really helped. Got a question wrong? Ask why and get the help you need. Take 15mins out of lunch.
d) grind out the work. yeah for maybe a week it will be painful lol but it be worth it in the long run
e) also something to note is that 5.2 content isn't as conceptual as maybe 5.3 so I implore you to practise good exam technique (eg. checking answers MULTIPLE times if need be, making sure calculations are right, ensuring that you get all of the questions worth the most right)

Also great idea is to look through the worked examples they are literally gold, at least for the Cambridge textbook.

PM me if you would like my year 9 5.3 summaries and also the pdf of Cambridge maths
Good luck - you can do it, you seem determined

Zayan

HSC
Hey mate (for reference I've completed the year 9 5.3 course and got 97% on the yearly exam. My school also starts the school year early so I've actually already completed my first year 10 exam as well - 97 as well)
I've always been pretty good at maths and so didn't have to work that hard in year 7 or 8 to achieve decent results. However, if you're aiming for these top scores over 90+, you're gonna have to put in some effort. I made notes for the year 9 topics I felt in needed to in prep for our yearly and spent a good amount of time doing all of the revision sheets, going over past questions etc. What I think is the best idea is to:
a) organise your topics into notes and summarise info. Stay up to date and don't let anything go unless you understand
b) start looking over the year 9 5.3 topics you didn't do because even if you make it into the top class, you need to stay there so you can take maths extension. For example you mightn't have done non-monic trinomials, harder linear relationships type stuff and so could fall behind when this is expected in 5.3 year 10
c) seek consolidation of knowledge from your teacher. Honestly a few days before the exam this one maths teacher just walked me through everything within this certain topic and it really helped. Got a question wrong? Ask why and get the help you need. Take 15mins out of lunch.
d) grind out the work. yeah for maybe a week it will be painful lol but it be worth it in the long run
e) also something to note is that 5.2 content isn't as conceptual as maybe 5.3 so I implore you to practise good exam technique (eg. checking answers MULTIPLE times if need be, making sure calculations are right, ensuring that you get all of the questions worth the most right)

Also great idea is to look through the worked examples they are literally gold, at least for the Cambridge textbook.

PM me if you would like my year 9 5.3 summaries and also the pdf of Cambridge maths
Good luck - you can do it, you seem determined
Thank you for your advice 👍

Saint Dev

HSC
Having just completed my Extension 1 and Advanced Math HSC this year (complete the rest of my subjects in 2021), I'll try and offer some advice. What burga said is pretty spot on, but you can always do more questions. The more questions that you can work through and check over, the better. If you can get your hands on any past papers, those are also great resources. By the time you get to the HSC, chapter reviews and past papers will be your new best friend. It can be difficult to assess your strengths and weaknesses but it is important to do so, you'd don't want to be spending time on questions that aren't challenging you (unless under exam style conditions) when there are other areas that need work; if you don't find questions that challenge you, look harder.

Personally, I didn't really use my mathematics notes when preparing (unless I didn't understand a concept), your main revision should comprise questions and more questions, I can't overstate it enough.

It's great that you want to do Extension 1 Mathematics, I think it's quite a well rounded course and a great goal to have.

Zayan

HSC
Having just completed my Extension 1 and Advanced Math HSC this year (complete the rest of my subjects in 2021), I'll try and offer some advice. What burga said is pretty spot on, but you can always do more questions. The more questions that you can work through and check over, the better. If you can get your hands on any past papers, those are also great resources. By the time you get to the HSC, chapter reviews and past papers will be your new best friend. It can be difficult to assess your strengths and weaknesses but it is important to do so, you'd don't want to be spending time on questions that aren't challenging you (unless under exam style conditions) when there are other areas that need work; if you don't find questions that challenge you, look harder.

Personally, I didn't really use my mathematics notes when preparing (unless I didn't understand a concept), your main revision should comprise questions and more questions, I can't overstate it enough.

It's great that you want to do Extension 1 Mathematics, I think it's quite a well rounded course and a great goal to have.
Thank you :)
Could you let me know how many people get into Ext1 Maths. I think it is only the top two classes and from them, only 24 students get in. (In my school)

Saint Dev

HSC
Thank you :)
Could you let me know how many people get into Ext1 Maths. I think it is only the top two classes and from them, only 24 students get in. (In my school)
It will really depend on what school you attend so I can only give my experience. My top 75ish ranked school has about 38% of the cohort doing it, however, there is quite the spread in results. This being said, if you can manage the course and perform decently, it scales very well and counts for most people who do it for the HSC.

Zayan

HSC
It will really depend on what school you attend so I can only give my experience. My top 75ish ranked school has about 38% of the cohort doing it, however, there is quite the spread in results. This being said, if you can manage the course and perform decently, it scales very well and counts for most people who do it for the HSC.
You would need 90%+throughout your tests to get in though, right? (average school)

Saint Dev

HSC
You would need 90%+throughout your tests to get in though, right? (average school)
Are you askings what mark you should be aiming for? Then, in that case, I agree that 85%-90%+ is where you want to be aiming for to get into Extension 1. However, once you get into the course, your results may change; some schools will try and make the exams leading up to Year 11 difficult to try and determine who should study what level of mathematics. Essentially, if you are trying to determine what marks are competitive I would reference your internal ranking and what past students have achieved, which you should be able to obtain from your school. If 80% in your internals translates to an E4 then that is just as good as a 90% internal average that translates to the same E4, hence it is difficult to say what average you'll need to keep! I hope that helps but please feel free to clarify.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)