I think I failed AMEB piano exam (1 Viewer)

tillyz

HSC
N/A
I recently took AMEB Grade 6 piano exam and I am almos t 100% sure I failed.

technical work - good
pieces:
list a - awful. the examiner even said 'i'm guessing your teacher chose this for you'
list b - also horrible
list c and d- okay, stuffed up in some parts
knowledge- honestly atrocious. i didn't know anything she asked, she didn't give me any of the questions i had prepared for and expected. She was trying to help me but I could just feel the disappointment
aural - well I always bad at this section when practising in lessons, but I swear it was a thousand times worse in the exam
sight reading - okayish

At the end of the exam, she said 'your result would be half a grade higher if your latter sections were better, if you know what I mean.' sorry, i don't know what you mean! I failed and I would've passed if they were better?

I just kind of wanted to share my experience, and hear other people's stories of their own exams.

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
I screwed almost up every part of the exam except my pieces with a few mistakes here and there
I didn't bother studying for general knowledge so that was fked lol and probably screwed up a chunk of aural
I still passed no probs (y)
This was 8th grade, so if I did this terribly, you'd most likely pass 6th. Even if you don't pass, I suggest you go on to 7th grade dont bother with 6th

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
I recently took AMEB Grade 6 piano exam and I am almos t 100% sure I failed.

technical work - good
pieces:
list a - awful. the examiner even said 'i'm guessing your teacher chose this for you'
list b - also horrible
list c and d- okay, stuffed up in some parts
knowledge- honestly atrocious. i didn't know anything she asked, she didn't give me any of the questions i had prepared for and expected. She was trying to help me but I could just feel the disappointment
aural - well I always bad at this section when practising in lessons, but I swear it was a thousand times worse in the exam
sight reading - okayish

At the end of the exam, she said 'your result would be half a grade higher if your latter sections were better, if you know what I mean.' sorry, i don't know what you mean! I failed and I would've passed if they were better?

I just kind of wanted to share my experience, and hear other people's stories of their own exams.
Ok, I know what you mean. Something that is good about stressing about having done so badly is you won't be AS disappointed when you get your result. When I did grade 5 I felt like it went amazing and then I got like B+ (not so amazing) which made me feel worse. Sien has suggested to not worry about grade 6 but there are some things to consider. First, why did you go wrong? Lack of technique, lack of practise due to not enough time or other? If lack of technique, then grade 7 will be a hella lot harder (it feels like there's so much more to learn) and doing a good job in grade 6 is important to get your fundamentals. If lack of time, then go on to grade 7 but you'll probably need to do it in double - triple the time you did this one (10 page list Bs, 5-6 page list As, 3 page list Cs, 3-5 pages list Ds + extra lists + heaps of technical work = a lot of time). For general knowledge what did you use to prepare? Usually the AMEB general knowledge guides cover you for most of the questions asked. What did you get asked this time? Aural + Sight Reading - practise, practise + more practise. It's actually super important and gives you more skills than the pieces do. Essential for developing (especially if you need to do musicianship and theory as well).

Story-time. So I think it was grade 3 or 4 and I went into the exam basically sight-reading my pieces (I had played them probs 3 times each). I was at the point where I didn't even know what they were called (no-joke, couldn't even tell him what they were without looking). Thankfully, this guy was amazing and gave me an A. Sure you're probably thinking that's really bad and unfair but I guess he saw my potential (hahahahaha) and yeah. So maybe you won't go so bad??? Your examiner also shouldn't have said those comments. They go in the report and she shouldn't really give a sign as to how she thinks you're going. Thumbs down for her. Good-luck though!!!

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
Ok, I know what you mean. Something that is good about stressing about having done so badly is you won't be AS disappointed when you get your result. When I did grade 5 I felt like it went amazing and then I got like B+ (not so amazing) which made me feel worse. Sien has suggested to not worry about grade 6 but there are some things to consider. First, why did you go wrong? Lack of technique, lack of practise due to not enough time or other? If lack of technique, then grade 7 will be a hella lot harder (it feels like there's so much more to learn) and doing a good job in grade 6 is important to get your fundamentals. If lack of time, then go on to grade 7 but you'll probably need to do it in double - triple the time you did this one (10 page list Bs, 5-6 page list As, 3 page list Cs, 3-5 pages list Ds + extra lists + heaps of technical work = a lot of time). For general knowledge what did you use to prepare? Usually the AMEB general knowledge guides cover you for most of the questions asked. What did you get asked this time? Aural + Sight Reading - practise, practise + more practise. It's actually super important and gives you more skills than the pieces do. Essential for developing (especially if you need to do musicianship and theory as well).

Story-time. So I think it was grade 3 or 4 and I went into the exam basically sight-reading my pieces (I had played them probs 3 times each). I was at the point where I didn't even know what they were called (no-joke, couldn't even tell him what they were without looking). Thankfully, this guy was amazing and gave me an A. Sure you're probably thinking that's really bad and unfair but I guess he saw my potential (hahahahaha) and yeah. So maybe you won't go so bad??? Your examiner also shouldn't have said those comments. They go in the report and she shouldn't really give a sign as to how she thinks you're going. Thumbs down for her. Good-luck though!!!
I think it might have been exam nerves, I don't think piano teachers don't send students to exams if their pieces are not at least at a certain standard. Personally I didn't do 6th grade but I don't think the jump to 7th grade is that big. It's mainly just the pieces getting lengthy. So I strongly suggest op to just continue on 7th, and learn from the mistakes from 6th :)

Lmao I think we got the same 4th grade examiner, he said some shit about seeing potential as well ahahaha

tillyz

HSC
N/A
Yeah I think they all do, my examiner said that as well. Well I was never going to get A+ or doo amazing in the exam but I didn't expect it would go this badly, yeah I got the book but I feel like she didn't ask any of the questions in the book. I did okay for aurals and stuff in lessons, but just stuffed it up in the actual thing.Yep, exam nerves + lack of practice. I dont know if I'm going to do piano next year, I"ll probably worry about exams if I continue

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Yeah I think they all do, my examiner said that as well. Well I was never going to get A+ or doo amazing in the exam but I didn't expect it would go this badly, yeah I got the book but I feel like she didn't ask any of the questions in the book. I did okay for aurals and stuff in lessons, but just stuffed it up in the actual thing.Yep, exam nerves + lack of practice. I dont know if I'm going to do piano next year, I"ll probably worry about exams if I continue
YES! Keep doing exams. Don't let this discourage you, just let it act as a push to work harder. You'll probably regret it if you stop. I'm not a very high grade yet but I was about to give up right before grade 6 and I'm glad I kept going. Just wait til you can play Chopin's etudes!!!

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
I think it might have been exam nerves, I don't think piano teachers don't send students to exams if their pieces are not at least at a certain standard. Personally I didn't do 6th grade but I don't think the jump to 7th grade is that big. It's mainly just the pieces getting lengthy. So I strongly suggest op to just continue on 7th, and learn from the mistakes from 6th :)

Lmao I think we got the same 4th grade examiner, he said some shit about seeing potential as well ahahaha
Actually yeah, you're probably right. HAHA maybe

tillyz

HSC
N/A
Heyyy, if you guys are interested I found out I got a C+ for the exam, whooo!! I passed lol. Yeah probably I'll keep playing and stuff, I just needed a break from the piano after my 'failed' exam. Thanks for all your advice!

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Heyyy, if you guys are interested I found out I got a C+ for the exam, whooo!! I passed lol. Yeah probably I'll keep playing and stuff, I just needed a break from the piano after my 'failed' exam. Thanks for all your advice!
Good job!

Jendeukie

HSC
N/A
EDIT: I was meant to quote someone on this lol, not sure if it worked. RIP. New @ this forum... haha...

Omg made an account just to reply to this lol.
Had my 8th grade exam just today and failed too...

But omggg really? You passed? Even while only doing pieces okay? lol

I personally screwed up some scales, really a shame because I've never had problems before with them. Sighs...
Pieces, me too, also a few mistakes which caused minor repeats, but nothing major as I feared. But even if no mistakes, they weren't necessarily played well at all lol.
I am hoping both can be slightly rescued by her assuming I am nervous...

General knowledge, I didn't know everything but still a great deal more than not studying for it at all I guess xD. Have no idea what standards are but hopefully it was okay........ I really need to be at least okay at one thing.......

And my aural was shit lol, couldn't sing lower melody, had bits and pieces of memorisation, they were correct but disjointed lol. Dunno if I got any inversions/cadences right. Maybe only one or two out of like, 5.

And sight reading was the worst of all! Lol! Absolutely horrible.

Seriously I was expecting a C for sure, but I'm scared I actually got a D and failed. Looking at your response gives me hope I can scrape by with a C, but then again it depends on the examiner...

Last edited:
HSC
I know you said you're taking a break from piano, but I recommend you going on. Everyone I know who has ever quit piano told me they regret it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)