I think my raw marks are wrong (Appeal?) (1 Viewer)

burkefan

HSC
Hey guys,
I received my SOR raw marks. At the bottom of the PDF file, it says that my raw examination mark is 38/50. But I calculated all the numbers in the column and calculated 39.5/50.

This means I can appeal right, and perhaps go up an extra 2 marks? :eek:

burkefan

HSC
Yes, I paid for a clerical check. But the raw marks report is wrong. It says I got 38, when it adds up to 39.5

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Have you got A letter saying they are fine yet or confiing if they are right or wrong?

K

khorne

Isn't there like option scaling and alligning which is done on the raw marks before the actual alligning is done? Thats why when you add up your total english marks in the raw report, they are different from the score reported. I think it's fine

burkefan

HSC
Isn't there like option scaling and alligning which is done on the raw marks before the actual alligning is done? Thats why when you add up your total english marks in the raw report, they are different from the score reported. I think it's fine
Well, I doubt it. It says: This Raw Marks Report lists the raw mark you were allocated for each questions in this examination and your raw examination mark.

Meaning, it should calculate to the score down the bottom, which it doesnt.

Official

Bring it on
HSC
yeah - i think this is the answer

option scaling etc changes everything - just look at the english raws for example

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Would be funny if you made a calculator mistake. The bos should fix this

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
"Once the marking operation is complete the marks awarded to a student for each question in an examination are added up to produce the students’ raw examination mark. For those examinations that consist of some compulsory questions and some optional questions an additional step is taken before the marks are added up. A process referred to as ‘optional question scaling’ is applied. The final marks awarded to the students who have answered each optional question are statistically adjusted by taking into account the pattern of marks gained by that group of students on the compulsory questions. This ensures students are not unfairly advantaged or disadvantaged by choosing an easier or more difficult optional question."

Last edited:

burkefan

HSC
Well, look. I'll have to contact BOS regardless, because if I don't, I don't want to think about what could have been if I didn't try.

If they marked differently for Christianity, then I'd expect my Christianity mark to add up to what my actual mark is.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
My physics and software design appear to be added up wrong - afaik there is no option scaling in software design?

Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
My physics and software design appear to be added up wrong - afaik there is no option scaling in software design?
So that's 3 cases already so far and within a very small sample. Statistically very unlikely then to have been an error. If it was a freak error, they would have picked it up in at least one of the cases. So those doing the recheck didn't consider it an error. I think we can conclude it is correct, we just have to determine what we are missing.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
SDD does have options in its exam.

Software Design and Development HSC Examination Specifications
Section III – Options (20 marks)
• There will be two questions, one for each of the options.
• Candidates will be required to answer the question on the option they have studied.
• Each question will consist of approximately eight short-answer parts.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Does the report include a separate 'total weighted mark' anywhere?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)