I wanna do Medicine! (1 Viewer)

toad21

HSC
hi guys, this is my story: i went through highschool not knowing what i wanted to do in the future, i set my goal on doing I.T as UWS, i got a poor UAI or 62, im currently studying I.T at uws, currently in my spring semester, im trying to transfer into I.T at USYD, UTS or Macq. and as i was at uni, i really started liking medicine, especially becoming a GP. I have had numerous medical issues and surgery and i just love what doctors do and appreciate it soo much, that i wish i had set my goals in highschool to try to compete in Medicine.

My question is: is there anyway i could possibly make it into Medicine, most likely becoming a GP?

I would absolutely do anything to have a chance at the career path..my only issue is that is there no wayi would go back to school or tafe to do year 12 again.

Are there any alternatives, like could i finish my undergrad degree and then maybe compete for the position?

PLEASE, anyhelp or suggestions would be great

and please if you think i GOT NO CHANCE???? plzz doo say that!!!!

thank you!

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
well thats a very interesting goal u have there.. and how u reason it is... well .. not untypical..

make sure u get good marks
make sure u are prepared for the mental hell of medicine

gd luck

aussiechica7

HSC
just focus on your GPA and try and get a good one.
if u took the umat yesterday u can apply for some undergrad schools next yr, if not, not this time.
from next yr onwards u can apply 2 undergrad schools on the basis of your gpa and the UMAT. from the final yr of your degree onwards u can apply to grad schools, on the basis of your gpa and the gamsat.
good luck.

toad21

HSC
aussiechica7 said:
just focus on your GPA and try and get a good one.
if u took the umat yesterday u can apply for some undergrad schools next yr, if not, not this time.
from next yr onwards u can apply 2 undergrad schools on the basis of your gpa and the UMAT. from the final yr of your degree onwards u can apply to grad schools, on the basis of your gpa and the gamsat.
good luck.
But what about my UAI, dont they consider that...
what GPA will i need after my completion of 2nd year to try for Medicine.
How hard will it be to get a good UMAT score?(what sort of questions).
also if you just want to be a GP? how many years will it take doing undergrad or doing grad school?

thanks

Season

HSC
But what about my UAI, dont they consider that...
what GPA will i need after my completion of 2nd year to try for Medicine.
How hard will it be to get a good UMAT score?(what sort of questions).
also if you just want to be a GP? how many years will it take doing undergrad or doing grad school?
Your UAI no longer applies once you are in university, a friend of mine got 99.95, didn't know what she wanted to do, did science then realised she wanted to do medicine and was sad she couldn't use her UAI. Didn't matter cos she's so smart anyways.

Okay your main option is Graduate medicine, grad med is approximately half the places in Australia. So don't worry there are plently of places to look for.

You have to sit the GAMSAT which is a fun 5/6 hour exam... which combines humanities, science biological and something else.... and apparently its really hard. To do it you need to be able to

-write a good essay
-have chemistry year one at university and physics year 12 level

You can always do a bridging course to fill you in, but its much nicer if you can manage to learn that science for your degree.

You can apply for
Flinders, ANU, Syd, Newcastle, UQ, Melbourne (going grad next year), and a few others... I'll remember later

The normal length is 4 years, but some unis make you do the undergrad course like NSW so it goes for 6 years... and Western Sydney

Also some of those mentioned unis want the UMAT instead of the GAMSAT, which in my opinion is A LOT easier, its all multiple choice, and its all skills, not knowledge.

Have a look at some of these links
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~kesmarek/gmp/ggamsat.html
http://www.medstudentsonline.com/forums/Graduate-Medicine-FAQ-topic1620.html

that should get you started

You also might want to start building up a resume of how much you want to help people
-volunteering, getting involved in community activities, getting nice references, volunteer to be a telephone counsellor for Lifeline, that sort of stuff. etc.

nys-j

HSC
yeah if u finsih ur IT degree n work on gettin a really high GPA then go into graduate med theres no way they can consider ur UAI... or for undergrad med, its probably the same (which others hav already explained)

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Download and read the following PDF file to gain an understanding in relation to avenues of entry [MBBS], and other related facts:

toad21

HSC
s-AINT said:
Download and read the following PDF file to gain an understanding in relation to avenues of entry [MBBS], and other related facts:
your very funny....man respect urself

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Here's a selection of PDF books from my collection, most I haven't read so I can't comment on them:

sladehk

le random
HSC
come to uws.. we take longs of students who are not school leavers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)