ICanMed UCAT Prep Course for Y10 (1 Viewer)

huangxx1999

HSC
I was wondering if anybody in Year 10 was interested in sharing an ICanMed course subscription with me.

ICanMed is one the best coaching services for UCAT preparation (you can check their credentials out on their website), and I've got a discount deal for Year 10 students interested in the course, but there is even more discount if we register as a group. Please let me know if you're interested! :)

dasfas

HSC
I was wondering if anybody in Year 10 was interested in sharing an ICanMed course subscription with me.

ICanMed is one the best coaching services for UCAT preparation (you can check their credentials out on their website), and I've got a discount deal for Year 10 students interested in the course, but there is even more discount if we register as a group. Please let me know if you're interested! :)
Good luck with your UCAT. Personally I found medify to be the absolute best bang for your buck. Other prep courses were blatant scams and offered basically no value. I've never heard about the one you're using, but perhaps give medify a look before committing? It's literally $80, which is a fraction of the cost of every other program.

not when u have asian parents man 😔
Also, please be sure that you want to go for med for yourself and not just because of your parents. Med is a brutal 6 years UG + postgraduate years, where you're not even guaranteed to get a job afterwards. You also need to maintain volunteering, research and leadership positions to be an attractive candidate for training programs. If you're not passionate about med, then there are way more options that are far less difficult and pay far more.

idkkdi

HSC
Good luck with your UCAT. Personally I found medify to be the absolute best bang for your buck. Other prep courses were blatant scams and offered basically no value. I've never heard about the one you're using, but perhaps give medify a look before committing? It's literally $80, which is a fraction of the cost of every other program.

Also, please be sure that you want to go for med for yourself and not just because of your parents. Med is a brutal 6 years UG + postgraduate years, where you're not even guaranteed to get a job afterwards. You also need to maintain volunteering, research and leadership positions to be an attractive candidate for training programs. If you're not passionate about med, then there are way more options that are far less difficult and pay far more.
I'm pretty sure its not 80 bucks anymore lol

and any examples of options far less difficult and pay far more?

quickoats

HSC
ucat is getting kind of messed up now haha.
2960 for 9th decile this yr according to preliminary stats.
Wait what it was like 2800 in my year

Regardless, yr 10 shouldn’t be too worried about that stuff. Don’t burn out too early

idkkdi

HSC
Wait what it was like 2800 in my year

Regardless, yr 10 shouldn’t be too worried about that stuff. Don’t burn out too early
gonna be 3k next yr at this rate haha

dasfas

HSC
I'm pretty sure its not 80 bucks anymore lol
Ah yeah, just checked and it's $200 for 3 months. Massive bargain imo, especially when you consider that they have 13k+ questions, which is several times more than other

and any examples of options far less difficult and pay far more?
Fyi by pay more, I mean total earnings

CompSci, Engineering, and some trading jobs such as quantitative analysts pay big bucks. CS/quants can get 100k straight out of uni at some finance firms which is insane, though that is the upper end. Most other job offerings I've been looking at for CS have been 60-80k. Engineering is also 60-80k straight out of uni.

Med is a much higher salary once you make it, but that is after 4 extra years of schooling (huge opportunity cost as you're not earning PLUS you're going into debt), plus however many (3-7) years of postgraduate training where you're not paid very well and working like a dog. This is assuming you get into training in the first place. It's not unheard of people trying to apply for several years and basically not be able to do anything while they wait. During this time, your classmates who didn't go into med have been getting promoted and getting raises at work.

There is also the assortment of problems with physician burnout and the enroachment of midlevels, albeit it isn't a big problem in Aus yet. Medicine is by no means an easy road and it is incredibly important to be aware of its faults before dedicating your life to it.

Last edited:

quickoats

HSC
To be fair, the new generation of quants are typically math PhDs.

I don't think it's a good idea to pursue a mathematics PhD in the hopes of getting into an investment bank however. Industry first then go back, unless you seriously want to pursue a career in academia (which is a challenging world in itself).

specificagent1

HSC
jobs that get paid more than med:

- tradie
- traffic conductor
- theft
- police commissioner
- big pharma corp
- nigerian prince

and many more which idk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)