ICAS help :) (1 Viewer)

Constantspy977

sensational
HSC
Hello, so I'm just wondering, how do ppl study for ICAS without past papers, and if they get free past papers, where from? Ppl tell me that ICAS is really easy and they manage to get a high distinction, but Im just not sure how I'm supposed to study for it. Do people have any resources? other than buying past papers? (this is more specifically targeted towards reading comprehension, as I have found 2 math and science ICAS past papers, but haven't found anything for English, oh and im also in year 8)
thanks in advance :)

uniqueusername1

HSC
Hello, so I'm just wondering, how do ppl study for ICAS without past papers, and if they get free past papers, where from? Ppl tell me that ICAS is really easy and they manage to get a high distinction, but Im just not sure how I'm supposed to study for it. Do people have any resources? other than buying past papers? (this is more specifically targeted towards reading comprehension, as I have found 2 math and science ICAS past papers, but haven't found anything for English, oh and im also in year 8)
thanks in advance :)
you don't

uniqueusername1

HSC
lol jks

i don't think it is a test you study you are meant to study for. Its like HAST you can't really study for it (tests knowledge of random stuff lol).

uniqueusername1

HSC
is there any general practice I can do for specifically english?
No, not really. I did the exam and there is no way to properly study for it lol. It just tests natural ability. Theres no set syllabus/topics they give you to study for.

P.S. this is HAST not ICAS. ICAS was really easy tho.

Constantspy977

sensational
HSC
No, not really. I did the exam and there is no way to properly study for it lol. It just tests natural ability. Theres no set syllabus/topics they give you to study for.

P.S. this is HAST not ICAS. ICAS was really easy tho.
see Im not really confident with the English comprehension one as we only have 55 min for 55 questions(this is for ICAS), is there any way to practice this time management? I just want to over-prepare bc Im the type that usually procrastinates without any preparation.

nine9

HSC
see Im not really confident with the English comprehension one as we only have 55 min for 55 questions(this is for ICAS), is there any way to practice this time management? I just want to over-prepare bc Im the type that usually procrastinates without any preparation.
Do you take a long time to read the text? Maybe challenge yourself with difficult novels or articles (non-fiction stuff are always good).
Also a tip that may not work for you, read the questions before the text so you know what you're looking for.

uniqueusername1

HSC
Honestly just wing it lol. This is a skill I picked up recently. But, this works for short answers/long responses (screw multiple choice). What you write doesn't have to be perfect. As long as 70% of it makes sense your good. Once you realise this you'll be speeding through questions. Also make sure you perfect structure. If there is a 3 marker -> (topic sentence + 2 TEA).

uniqueusername1

HSC
Anyways if you finish quickly you'll have time to edit + perfect your responses.

Constantspy977

sensational
HSC
Honestly just wing it lol. This is a skill I picked up recently. But, this works for short answers/long responses (screw multiple choice). What you write doesn't have to be perfect. As long as 70% of it makes sense your good. Once you realise this you'll be speeding through questions. Also make sure you perfect structure. If there is a 3 marker -> (topic sentence + 2 TEA).
alr then, but one more question, for ICAS who much short answer questions are typically in the English comprehension section?

Constantspy977

sensational
HSC
Do you take a long time to read the text? Maybe challenge yourself with difficult novels or articles (non-fiction stuff are always good).
Also a tip that may not work for you, read the questions before the text so you know what you're looking for.
I find reading the text first easier as sometimes there are like 8 total questions and I can't memorise ALL 8 questions and read the passage and I forget them as I read through the text. But I will try reading some non-fiction novels and articles as you suggested. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)