Ideas for ext assess next year...please? (1 Viewer)

Michala

HSC
Hello everyone.
just wondering if people could post ideas of what i could do for my extension history assess next year. ive had a few thoughts but not 100% on anything. my history vocab isn't too crash hot so i want something really interesting and intriguing

goodluck to all the HSC students for 2006 hope everything is all good for your exams etc.

Thanks,
M :)

HayleeKate

HSC
Do Mexican mythology... "Investigate the theory that the god Quetzalcoatl was in fact an Icelandic sailor exploring the Atlantic during the 12th Century."

Quetzalcoatl was the key subject of mine "Assess the role of religion - Mexican mythology & Catholicism - on the Conquest of Mexico" and I was so interested and excited by this that I wanted to do another major work on this topic I suggested to you.. my research lead me to both these theories... theres not specific writing on them, you have to pull facts from all the sources and show how they support your theory. Its alot of work, but a fascinating and brilliantly rewarding type of work. You wont sleep until youve read every source you can get your hands on about the topic. Or maybe thats just me.

frog3

Do something you are actually interested in otherwise you will lose interest and it will show. I researched on Rudolf Hess's motives for solo his flight and apparent peace mission to Scotland in 1941 (Hess was Hitler's 3rd in command so it was SLIGHTLY odd). If you can find something weird and debated event you'll be interested in uncovering the truth.

Last edited by a moderator:

sascha_ryner

HSC
I sort of did the historiography of an historian which was really interesting. It looked at Thucydides biases and role in our knowledge of the Peloponnesian Wars. At first I was just going to do like the reasons for the peloponnesian war because that is a whole topic in itself but then I discovered Thucydides. The teachers really liked that and I learned about different types of history, and both of these helped for the what is history part, as you can use historians such as Thucydides.
All the best next year
x o x

X

xeuyrawp

The_Doors said:
Do something you are actually interested in otherwise you will lose interest and it will show. I researched on Rudolf Hess's motives for solo his flight and apparent peace mission to Scotland in 1941 (Hess was Hitler's 3rd in command so it was SLIGHTLY odd). If you can find something weird and debated event you'll be interested in uncovering the truth.
Yeh, that's right.

Do something you like. If you're not sure what exactly you like, investigate the area you like.

Think of things like what kind of time frames / periods interest you, maybe what people or events, what theories of history, etc.

jimjim

I studied How the image of Count Cagliostro been distorted to fulfil the needs and purpose of numerous historians, rivals and celebrities of the 18th Century. He was a con-artist, magician, religious icon to an extent.. it was so fascinating. i did really well in mine, well by my standards.. i got 38/40.. and i think the only reason why i did so well is because i loved what i did. it wasnt a chore to study, or to read a book about him.. because the work you need to put into a major work is HUGE.. and you need to want to do it! sorry you've probably heard that 20 billion times, but its an obvious point!

but i was in ur boots.. i did anc and modern in yr 11 and i had NO clue as to what i was 'interested' in.. i never really sat down and thought about what i loved so much about history.. so, i went into borders and looked in the history section and just searched until i found out what sounded interesting! its probably not the BEST way to do it, but it was still fun.

i really hope you do well.. just read up and dont waste ur time early on in the year when you're work load isnt too much.. its hell trying to write a major work in the holidays whilst trying to study for trials.. its not a good mix!

best of luck!

p.s. other topics of interest where Olga Chekhova - she was an a Russian film actress and a German spy.. or maybe the other way round.. umm, the princes in the tower, jack the ripper! however, do something original.. not something about King Arthur or about Queen Elizabeth.. do something daring, and fun! and original, so the markers think its cool and they cant compare it to anything else!

slimec

HSC
hey heylee was ur assessment for extension modern?

X

xeuyrawp

jimmyjojo said:
I studied How the image of Count Cagliostro been distorted to fulfil the needs and purpose of numerous historians, rivals and celebrities of the 18th Century. He was a con-artist, magician, religious icon to an extent.. it was so fascinating. i did really well in mine, well by my standards.. i got 38/40.. and i think the only reason why i did so well is because i loved what i did. it wasnt a chore to study, or to read a book about him.. because the work you need to put into a major work is HUGE.. and you need to want to do it! sorry you've probably heard that 20 billion times, but its an obvious point!

but i was in ur boots.. i did anc and modern in yr 11 and i had NO clue as to what i was 'interested' in.. i never really sat down and thought about what i loved so much about history.. so, i went into borders and looked in the history section and just searched until i found out what sounded interesting! its probably not the BEST way to do it, but it was still fun.

i really hope you do well.. just read up and dont waste ur time early on in the year when you're work load isnt too much.. its hell trying to write a major work in the holidays whilst trying to study for trials.. its not a good mix!

best of luck!

p.s. other topics of interest where Olga Chekhova - she was an a Russian film actress and a German spy.. or maybe the other way round.. umm, the princes in the tower, jack the ripper! however, do something original.. not something about King Arthur or about Queen Elizabeth.. do something daring, and fun! and original, so the markers think its cool and they cant compare it to anything else!
That's another very interesting point, James.

Doing something original pays off. :)

jimjim

thanks rob.. yeah, originality is your key to unlocking the door which opens to success.. hahaha, that was quite possibly THE most pathetic thing i have ever written!

mandylee

HSC
I did something really boring - the Salem Witch Trials - but if you can put a new spin on it then it will be more interesting.

Some other ideas I had:-
~Charles Manson Murders
~Oscar Schindler (friend of mine did this)
~Atlantis, the Lost Empire

You could do anything - maybe something more modern, like 9\11, or take that a bit further and look into the Al-Queda, their religion, lifestyles etc.

Almost anything you are interested in could become your research question. If you like music, you could look into the life of a murdered musician. As long as you are able to present the subject with some controversy, and can find historians with differing views, you can do anything!

X

xeuyrawp

jimmyjojo said:
thanks rob.. yeah, originality is your key to unlocking the door which opens to success.. hahaha, that was quite possibly THE most pathetic thing i have ever written!
Clearly the most pathetic thing I've ever read! :D

piecheck

HSC
N/A
Help!! i reli need an investigation topic/question!! I haven't reli got an interest in history, i'm only doing extension because of the scaling and so im not that cluey on historical stuff, only the stuff ive lern't in class and here n there. But anyways doesn anyone have any ideas on a question, preferably a histoical debate to do with modern history which would have loads of info for me to utalise. Or anythin - any suggestions are appreciated. Thax in advance!

veridis

droog
HSC
piecheck said:
Help!! i reli need an investigation topic/question!! I haven't reli got an interest in history, i'm only doing extension because of the scaling and so im not that cluey on historical stuff, only the stuff ive lern't in class and here n there. But anyways doesn anyone have any ideas on a question, preferably a histoical debate to do with modern history which would have loads of info for me to utalise. Or anythin - any suggestions are appreciated. Thax in advance!
drop it, drop it now. hist ext requires mroe wide knowledge, interpretation and essay writing skills. if you're one of those people who just cram content to regurgitate hist ext is not for you. just look around your fave topics on wikipedia and keep following links till you hit something with a bit of debate around it

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
piecheck said:

dont do history extension for the scaling, DO it because u have a sole interest in it and are willin to put in the work. and history extension doesnt have that that good of scaling at the end of the day and remember is onli 1 unit. if u have no interest in a subject then how are u gona get scaled up if u do crap in it? (not saying u would) ..

i heard that its a LOT of work, even for a one unit subject and that the writing involved is quite difficult. but yer im starting the course this thursday, but im hoping that im gona be ok ..

veridis said:
just cram content to regurgitate
heys, wat do u mean by that? =S

Last edited:

veridis

droog
HSC
both Mod and Anc can be done qutie well with no actual deep understanding of the topic. Knowledge of a few key points and good generic essay plans are all you need. this kinda stuff can be crammed easily and becomes a test of memory and writing speed(much like english really). hist ext on the other hand while to an extent can be done this way requires a much deeper understanding and ability to argue your point than any other subject. i wont say it cant be crammed cause you can just memorise a para/page on each key point and probably get band 3 but to do well you have to be able to lift content from the stimulus(often quite long and vague) and formulate and argument on that. these types of skills are meant to be developed in the project which is why its important to do something you like, so you have motivation to keep going blindly for a few months till it actualy starts to click.

lilkiwifruit

HSC
N/A
Don't do history Extension just for the scaling! You really have to like the subject...
For me..its my interests in this subject that motivates me to wake up when it's still dark to attend my morning history extension classes..LOL

Emly

E.T
HSC
im doing Mary Wollstonecraft for my essay....

i dont know what sort of spin to take on her though, what aspect of her life.

anyone else do her? lol

X

xeuyrawp

veridis said:
both Mod and Anc can be done qutie well with no actual deep understanding of the topic.
How did you go in the HSC? :rolleyes:

. Knowledge of a few key points and good generic essay plans are all you need.
No, you need evidence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)