Identifying Cations and Anions in unkown solutions (1 Viewer)

mac1996

HSC
hey guys
just wondering how you would organise a flowchart for identifying anions and cations into a logical method with numbered steps?

thanks

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
Off the top of my head i wouldn't remember but if you have the Conquering chem or have access to it, i believe it has a comprehensive flowchart that can be followed to identify a cation or anion and the combination of both :)

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
hey guys
just wondering how you would organise a flowchart for identifying anions and cations into a logical method with numbered steps?

thanks
Make the flow charts urself (using LOGIC and acquired knowledge - solubility tables) b4 looking at flow charts in textbooks. Producing flow charts will exercise ur mind like any other activity that requires application of acquired knowledge

I'll start u off for anions:

Add in something that would only identify 1 ion

HNO3, fizzing/bubbles/effervescence indicates that presence of carbonate ions, no fizzing means continue on and add some other stuff

Do it like this:

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?um=...bnh=180&tbnw=153&start=28&ndsp=33&tx=78&ty=49

albertcamus

HSC
I don't see the point of making your own flowchart lol^

Just use the Jacaranda flowcharts of the tests, I found them very useful, and memorise + try to put some logic into your 'memorisation' of these tests using the solubility rules.

Make a document with each of the flowcharts, the solubility rules, the specific colours for each test, the equations for each test with states, and the confirmatory tests and their equations with states.

Make sure you understand WHY you take a fresh sample or WHY you acidify the anion test sample if CO2 is present.

You should be fine if you do all of those things, and incorporate reliability/accuracy/validity into each test.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)