If you want to study a language at uni but have some proficiency, is there a test? (1 Viewer)

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
I was considering studying French when I start uni in March and have heard that if you have some proficiency in the language you can start some more advanced units as a beginners level would be too easy obviously. However, is there a particular language proficiency test that unis such as macquarie, sydney uni etc. make you do to gauge which level you would qualify for? Or is it something you have to ask the course coordinator? Thanks

crowley926

HSC
Re: If you want to study a language at uni but have some proficiency, is there a test

If you did French Cont for HSC then the higher bands will qualify you to start at Intermediate level. Otherwise I'm not sure- you should email them.

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
Re: If you want to study a language at uni but have some proficiency, is there a test

https://www.mq.edu.au/about_us/facu...european_languages_and_cultures/french_units/

If you achieve a certain band in the HSC then you are not allowed to do the easier version up to a certain point.
In my case I studied French continuers up until term 1 of year 12 when I had to make the decision to drop it due to having 14 units. However, since the end of the HSC I have continued to study it as a hobby and my level of French, while probably not the same as someone who had studied continuers until the end is definitely a lot higher than a beginner. My case is a tricky case I suppose as I don't have a formal qualification that verifies my level. I'm thinking that if I start French, I could then can ask my course coordinator if the content is too simple/ easy for me whether I would be allowed to try the intermediate stream. But idk.
Because many people might have prior knowledge of a language e.g. they took private classes, studied it independently or they grew up in a bilingual family and therefore can speak the language okay/ or to a conversational level but they do not have received a certificate of their level.

Thanks for the link though :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)