Illness/Misadventure - Death Of A Family Friend (1 Viewer)

eja2000

HSC
I just found out that a family friend passed away from a massive heart attack. I feel numb right now, and it hasn't really sunk in yet..I have two HSC exams left to go. One tomorrow and one the day afterward.

Am I eligible for illness/misadventure because of this? I'm not sure if I'd need any supporting documentation..I really don't want to go to a psychologist or anything right now.

cookeemonstah

HSC
dont think so. Unless its an immediate family member, your better off completing our exams. Even though things seem hard atm, just bear with it for a little while longer.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't know if a family friend would be considered under the scheme but I heavily suggest;
*Sit the exams to the best of your ability (I know it's hard while grieving)
*Apply for misadventure, but you have done the exams in case it is not upheld.

There, all bases are covered, and I'm really sorry for your loss.

Rawf

HSC
Man, that must suck. Just try and get your head back in the zone and keep working. It's better not to hear about these things at a time like this.
My aunty has been in hospital for a month now and she's suffering from severe depression. She usually visits every week for 3 days and helps us around the house, it's pretty sad to see her gone.
However, I'm not signing up for anything like illness/misadventure or EAS/whatever, simply because it's too much work and it would probs distract you more than help you.

captainplanet17

HSC
N/A
M8 don't let that distract you. My grandfather has been in hospital for half a year and I've just dissconnected myself from it, so I can focus on my exam. It's something very sad, but Let those emotions out and then compose yourself and remember your duty and the effort you've put in this whole year.

As for millness misadventure I have no idea. [

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Man, that must suck. Just try and get your head back in the zone and keep working. It's better not to hear about these things at a time like this.
My aunty has been in hospital for a month now and she's suffering from severe depression. She usually visits every week for 3 days and helps us around the house, it's pretty sad to see her gone.
However, I'm not signing up for anything like illness/misadventure or EAS/whatever, simply because it's too much work and it would probs distract you more than help you.
I think considering there is a death, I would encourage them to apply. I mean it's hard to not let these things effect you. I have two ill relatives atm, that I would not bother applying misadventure before, but a death is entirely different and more shocking. I feel for the OP.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
That's quite sad to hear mate. Without supporting documents though, I would say it would be hard to get through the process successfully. Hang in there!

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
I just found out that a family friend passed away from a massive heart attack. I feel numb right now, and it hasn't really sunk in yet..I have two HSC exams left to go. One tomorrow and one the day afterward.

Am I eligible for illness/misadventure because of this? I'm not sure if I'd need any supporting documentation..I really don't want to go to a psychologist or anything right now.
Call your school and speak to the school counsellor ASAP. They should be able to better advise you in what to do. Essentially, to be considered eligible, you need to provide some documentation stating what happened (like a death certificate), something describing the nature of the relationship (to explain that they were significant to you), and something for how it has impacted you (you will need to go to a gp/psychologist/psychiatrist for this). I understand you don't want to see a psych, but I'd really recommend it in these early stages of grief, especially if this news has shocked you enough that you can't study/sit exams. It's entirely normal to be feeling down, and they can provide help.

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
Call your school and speak to the school counsellor ASAP. They should be able to better advise you in what to do. Essentially, to be considered eligible, you need to provide some documentation stating what happened (like a death certificate), something describing the nature of the relationship (to explain that they were significant to you), and something for how it has impacted you (you will need to go to a gp/psychologist/psychiatrist for this). I understand you don't want to see a psych, but I'd really recommend it in these early stages of grief, especially if this news has shocked you enough that you can't study/sit exams. It's entirely normal to be feeling down, and they can provide help.
This is all good. Many school counsellors are also psychologists so they can cover that base.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
As others have said - sit the exam anyway but also apply for misadventure

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)