I'm doing bad internally can I still get a 90+ atar (1 Viewer)

NochuPichu

HSC
I just got my results from our last round of exams (the next round will be trials which is worth 30% at my school). I did so bad for every subject this time....
I don't have all my ranking finalised at this stage but here is the gist:

English (adv): 80/163
Maths(adv): 90/100....yes I KNOW...
Biology 24/44...but I did bad so I think my rank may drop to maybe 35 lmao
Economics: 37/57....probs dropping to 48 or something
Modern History: 25/36

Do you think that I can save myself with trials so that I can get a good internal mark? And, is it possible for me to get a 90+ atar with my ranks like this?...
I go to a top 10 selective school btw (usually top 5 but there are fluctuations lol) . But even so, I'm not sure if I can get an atar over 90. 95+ is impossible now

Last edited:

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
The fact that you go to a top 10 selective school may be a bit relieving since you can expect higher marks from your cohort on average, but I don't think it's good enough to say you are 100% able to achieve a 90+ ATAR with your current ranks.

However, having trials left indicates a good opportunity for you to improve your ranks. For that you'll need to perform as well as possible, preferably band 6's across all your subjects. This will give you a better chance of improving your ranks. Of course, 30% may not be enough for you to reach top ranks, but it sure is enough for you to make a significant improvement (which will likely be enough to put you back on track). In terms of final ranks, I believe you may be able to improve your ranks, provided you perform very well in trials, as follows:

English Advanced - around 50/163
Mathematics Advanced - around 60-75/100
Biology - around 15/44
Economics - around 25/57
Modern History: around 15-20/36

With such ranks, you will likely increase your chances of reaching a 90+ ATAR.

After trials, your focus will shift to the HSC exam. The effect this has on your ATAR is very significant, considering it's worth 50% of your final HSC mark for each of your subjects. It is a great opportunity for you to make a difference and to achieve your desired ATAR. Because of that, you must ensure you perform to the best of your abilities if you wish to maximise your chances of reaching your ATAR goal.

I hope this helps! :D

NochuPichu

HSC
The fact that you go to a top 10 selective school may be a bit relieving since you can expect higher marks from your cohort on average, but I don't think it's good enough to say you are 100% able to achieve a 90+ ATAR with your current ranks.

However, having trials left indicates a good opportunity for you to improve your ranks. For that you'll need to perform as well as possible, preferably band 6's across all your subjects. This will give you a better chance of improving your ranks. Of course, 30% may not be enough for you to reach top ranks, but it sure is enough for you to make a significant improvement (which will likely be enough to put you back on track). In terms of final ranks, I believe you may be able to improve your ranks, provided you perform very well in trials, as follows:

English Advanced - around 50/163
Mathematics Advanced - around 60-75/100
Biology - around 15/44
Economics - around 25/57
Modern History: around 15-20/36

With such ranks, you will likely increase your chances of reaching a 90+ ATAR.

After trials, your focus will shift to the HSC exam. The effect this has on your ATAR is very significant, considering it's worth 50% of your final HSC mark for each of your subjects. It is a great opportunity for you to make a difference and to achieve your desired ATAR. Because of that, you must ensure you perform to the best of your abilities if you wish to maximise your chances of reaching your ATAR goal.

I hope this helps! :D
thank you so much for your reply!!! I really appreciate it :D

idkkdi

HSC
I just got my results from our last round of exams (the next round will be trials which is worth 30% at my school). I did so bad for every subject this time....
I don't have all my ranking finalised at this stage but here is the gist:

English (adv): 80/163
Maths(adv): 90/100....yes I KNOW...
Biology 24/44...but I did bad so I think my rank may drop to maybe 35 lmao
Economics: 37/57....probs dropping to 48 or something
Modern History: 25/36

Do you think that I can save myself with trials so that I can get a good internal mark? And, is it possible for me to get a 90+ atar with my ranks like this?...
I go to a top 10 selective school btw. But even so, I'm not sure if I can get an atar over 90. 95+ is impossible now
depends on where within the top 10 lol. there's quite a bit of variation, but 90 is probably still fine as long as you're within like 85-90% of people.

NochuPichu

HSC
depends on where within the top 10 lol. there's quite a bit of variation, but 90 is probably still fine as long as you're within like 85-90% of people.
ahhhhh I see. Thank you :3

30june2016

HSC
Uni Grad
I went to a top 5 selective high school (2017) and ranked bottom 20% for all my subjects. I ended up with a 90.30 ATAR (tbh my external marks were far better than internal, e.g. for eng ext 1, there was about a gap of 8 marks between my external and internal score).

Hopefully this gives you some hope!! Am now doing well in life (graduated uni last year, am now working full time corporate life) too so that's a bonus :D

O01x

HSC
Pretty sure you can, just fix up maths and it should be fine

NochuPichu

HSC
I went to a top 5 selective high school (2017) and ranked bottom 20% for all my subjects. I ended up with a 90.30 ATAR (tbh my external marks were far better than internal, e.g. for eng ext 1, there was about a gap of 8 marks between my external and internal score).

Hopefully this gives you some hope!! Am now doing well in life (graduated uni last year, am now working full time corporate life) too so that's a bonus :D
wow!!! congratulations!!!! Thak you so much, that does give me hope :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)