imaginative journeys-additional texts-adventures of sharkboy and lava girl (1 Viewer)

atinaa:-)89

HSC

hey people
im doing my collection assignment at school for additional texts to use in the HSC and i was wondering if any of you had some ideas on whether these are good to use and how these texts represent imaginative journeys and any techniques that are used in doing so..

film- adventures of sharkboy and lava girl
novel- the lion, witch and the wardrobe by C.S Lewis
lyrics- Yellow submarine

thanks a lot, i really appreciate any replies i get.

powcy

HSC
I don't know aout Imaginative Journeys, since I did Physical... but I have something to point out: if you use a song as a text, it's not good to just use the lyrics. You also have to analyse the melody, mood, rhythm, volume, style, and all those musicology stuff (crescendo, pause, staccato, etc. etc. etc.) in order for your text to be fully analysed.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
powcy said:
I don't know aout Imaginative Journeys, since I did Physical... but I have something to point out: if you use a song as a text, it's not good to just use the lyrics. You also have to analyse the melody, mood, rhythm, volume, style, and all those musicology stuff (crescendo, pause, staccato, etc. etc. etc.) in order for your text to be fully analysed.
Your film and lyrics as supplementary text choices aren't the greatest because the film especially is very light-hearted and non-serious. However you can work with them because they do fit the imaginative journeys focus, but remember to state something like "despite the veneer of flippancy in the adventures of sharkboy and lava girl when we scratch the superficial exterior we become privy to the capacity of imaginative journeys in transcending mere stagnancy". And of course use techniques and its effect to link this with your journey thesis.

When you study lyrics you don't have to be too buoyed down by all the musicology analysis but something to consider is analysing the lyrics TOGETHER WITH the video of the song. This was the advice given to our class by our hsc marker teacher as she specifically warned us not to simply use lyrics. By doing this you demonstrate knowledge of both visual cues and verse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)