Impact of DET laptops (1 Viewer)

strawberryswing

HSC
Is my laptop the only one which is already unlocked?
I had it unlocked weeks ago... (Worst decision of my life though!)
I found my laptop super useful in year 11, when i was doing german continuers via distance ed, because everything was online.
During year 12 i found it useful to type up all my essays and do assignments without getting distracted by facebook.
But now it seems kinda useless because mine's unlocked and therefore i just get more distracted (like i am now)
I'm definitely getting a new computer post-hsc, but i won't mind keeping this one. It's slow and stuff, but honestly its useful being so small.
Also does anyone else have the problem where they can't save anything in photoshop? It's super annoying!

I don't think our marks will be affected by it that much though. So many people don't use these laptops at all and the majority of kids who are getting distracted by the laptops would have gotten distracted anyways, whether it was their own computer at home or by something else.

Dan1995420

HSC
I've found the DET laptops to be absolutely no use at all after the first year of my grade getting it. The productivity of first year: Flash Games > Study.
Many educational websites are blocked, and often the laptops are very slow and I rather write using hand.(Same as rest of my grade)

1 year later most of the peers in my grade(and me) got bored of the flash games and find that it's much easier to write, and there goes the "use" of the laptops.

Nowadays, only 2 or 3 people bring their laptops to school regularly, and they are usually the ones that do subjects such as multimedia where laptops are compulsory.
Even the teachers have given up on persuading students to bring their laptops, they find it easier to just book a computer lab when technology is needed.

*Takes out the laptop and blows the dust off*
The last time I used this "thing" was when there was a compulsory update every student had to undertake with their laptops.

2xL

HSC
Well, I didn't use them from Year 10-11. Then in the last term of year 12, when they got unlocked, everyone just brought it in to play counter strike in class.
Productivity: -9000 Lol.

WeaselPowa

HSC
Well, I didn't use them from Year 10-11. Then in the last term of year 12, when they got unlocked, everyone just brought it in to play counter strike in class.
Productivity: -9000 Lol.
Lol, there was also the time when running exe files was actually possible during year 10. Was playing COD and Counterstrike with the majority of the year ;)

Kandahar, Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
HSC
Uni Grad
School laptops are rubbish and slow as hell. So much for the "Digital Education Revolution". Rudd should had got proper laptops with minimal lag to run all that useful software on it. I don't like using it for that reason. Oh, and the North Korean level of censorship and blocks on it.........

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
In my opinion, I think the ATAR average might drop since there are several comprehensive and catholic schools with, I dare say, less studious individuals compared to say cohorts within selective schools. As a result, I'd think that quite a few students within every cohort will procrastinate and be distracted by these laptops which hinders them to be able to study effectively. In my opinion, giving away DET laptops was a very poor decision but I'm only basing this opinion on my cohort, which is being distracted greatly by these laptops...

Although, they are very good for education if used correctly and self-discipline is practiced.
HSC mark average for some subjects MAY drop a bit but the ATAR should be constant because it is essentially a rank.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)